Andy Jarchow Guest

Default Any idea what this is??

Hello,

I hope you can see the pic well enough. What do you think this is? Some type of mold or an insect nest?

These pic were taken from the basement under a kitchen sink. You can see water staining and then two small things hanging from the stained (moist) area. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Thank you
    mk

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Any idea what this is??

My guess is eggs sacks. Don't ask me what's going to hatch from them.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Mike Inspector Guest

Looks like some type of dried/dead mushroom.

Mike

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

What are you talking about????

The assorted cob webs or the two flakes of peeling/delaminated ply that match up with the void in the outer veneer layer of plywood subfloor which is blackened and damaged above? The larger chunk up against the Rim looks like the joist behind it split or popped from a poorly driven nail.

Use an arrow, blow it up, see no mysterious nests, mushrooms, etc.

Unless I'm seeing things, there appear to be two irregular brown pods anchored by narrow stems about an inch long to the stained portion of the plywood subfloor.

Mushrooms usually grow a root system (mycellium) before producing a fruit. The roots would have to be out of sight in the inner plies (possible) and the fruit stem would have grown down through the outer sheet of veneer (not likely). The wood doesn't look that rotten.

Last edited by John Kogel; 08-13-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Unless I'm seeing things, there appear to be two irregular brown pods anchored by narrow stems about an inch long to the stained portion of the plywood subfloor.

Mushrooms usually grow a root system (mycellium) before producing a fruit. The roots would have to be out of sight in the inner plies (possible) and the fruit stem would have grown down through the outer sheet of veneer (not likely). The wood doesn't look that rotten.
    Yes I am refering to the two pods anchored by a narrow stem. So you don't think this is a mushroom?

You are correct this area was not rotten.

Thank you all for your help on this!
    mk