Paul Pelorus Guest

Default Need Recent FEMA Parr & PB Inspectors Experiences

Afternoon Folks:

I have just finished everything to get to work for PARR during FEMA inspection deployments. I am also in the process of getting everything ready for PB as well.

Can anyone tell me of their recent experiences working for PARR and or PB? What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for one or the other of theseFEMA inspection contractors? Can you work with one company on one disaster....and then work with the other company on another disaster ?

As a disaster newbie, I want to be prepared for how things REALLY shake out while doing FEMA inspectors.

Thanks!

Paul

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Need Recent FEMA Parr & PB Inspectors Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pelorus View Post
    Afternoon Folks:

I have just finished everything to get to work for PARR during FEMA inspection deployments. I am also in the process of getting everything ready for PB as well.

Can anyone tell me of their recent experiences working for PARR and or PB? What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for one or the other of theseFEMA inspection contractors? Can you work with one company on one disaster....and then work with the other company on another disaster ?

As a disaster newbie, I want to be prepared for how things REALLY shake out while doing FEMA inspectors.

Thanks!

Paul
    Never having "done" an InspectOR, I couldn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pelorus View Post
    Afternoon Folks:

Thanks!

Paul
    Since 1994 I have worked I think 9 disasters. 3 Hurricanes, 3 Floods, 2 Fires and and 1 earthquake. I have been with both Parr and PB. Most who do this type work are registered with both. I stopped doing them with Katrina.

First, you must have the financial resources to support yourself for about 3 weeks without getting paid. All of your expenses you must pay for (Lodging, gas, car, cell phone, etc).

You need to realize that for the most you will be entering what is similar to a third world country, but you are in the US or a US territory.

Hotel space, fuel, food, power can and will be hard to find at times.

You must work smart to make any money.

You will suffer burnout, seeing what folks have lost will wear on you.

If you have a home inspection business you will have to put it on hold while you are away 3-4 weeks on deployment.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Paul P:

Seriously though, I suggest you take a look at this thread (link below)started by Bruce Breedlove, and search his past posts on other topic strings (having to do with his recent FEMA inspector experience, they aren't all on this topic subject area of the forum). Bruce's info regarding your topic question and subject are always well-thought out and very informative.

Clickable link to one (of many) of BB's very helpful posts: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...checklist.html

IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), BB has posted regarding having been deployed as recently as last May (Nashville flooding). Haven't seen much posting activity from him lately, so he very well may have been deployed multiple times since then (or somewhere on a long one).

On this discussion he describes some of his (now historical) experience with PB (clickable link): http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...spections.html

And this one (clickable link):

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...formation.html

Dana Bostick also has recently posted frequently on FEMA deployment experiences.

IIRC both have discussed your questions on more than one occasion.

There are others who contribute here regularly who are actively working "the roster", I just don't recall all their names at the moment.

HTH (Hope That Helps), and please excuse the prior attempt at a little humor.

Welcome to the Board.

H.G.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Elliot Franson Guest

Mr. Pelorus:

I can only assume that you have no military combat experience and were never in the Peace Corps. Either of these likely would have been sufficient to dissuade you from your currently chosen path.

Mike Amdurer Guest

Shaw is also looking for inspectors for FEMA deployments - go to Careers - The Shaw Group Inc. and enter requisition # EI7846 (Baton Rouge location is just where the HR is - inspectors can be located anywhere).