Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Leave-behind Letter to Seller

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Burkard View Post
    Is anyone providing a list of building permits that were never inspected to the new potential buyer?
    I am not. Muni inspector has got his/her specified responsibilities and I've got mine and I prefer to avoid any overlapping.

OREP Insurance
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I don't provide permits. However, I will do a permit search if suspicious about conditions at the building and let the client know what pops up.
    Also if I really want to hammer a scumbag developer I remind the Seller in writing to request to see the original permit with signatures on the back from the Muni inspectors. Always a major PIA for a developer.
    Additions and conversions are always good for this. It's also an easy way for a buyer to get out of the deal if they so choose.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Gromicko View Post
    Every seller is a buyer.

Here's a letter that I leave behind for the property seller.
    It's a great marketing tool.

Attachment 19224
    Take it. Use it for your own marketing.
    Not if they are short selling....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I personally hate it when people think that a HI or a service company person does not have the GD sense to make sure his shoes are clean.

When people ask me to take off my shoes, I show them the bottom and assure them I was not raised in some damn barn not to know if my shoes are clean or not. I don't take my shoes off regardless, and if they have a problem with it let them find another inspector.

rick
    Yup...100% Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I personally hate it when people think that a HI or a service company person does not have the GD sense to make sure his shoes are clean.

When people ask me to take off my shoes, I show them the bottom and assure them I was not raised in some damn barn not to know if my shoes are clean or not. I don't take my shoes off regardless, and if they have a problem with it let them find another inspector.

rick
    Exactly. For those of us over 200lbs, have you ever tried climbing a ladder or walking an attic in your socks? It ain't happenin' !!!

The best shoe covers for Home Inspectors. Wear them on every job - Good practice and you will never be blamed for the dirty carpets that someone else soiled.

Shoe Covers - Booties - "Protect your floors with Bootie Shoe Covers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Signor View Post
    The best shoe covers for Home Inspectors. Wear them on every job - Good practice and you will never be blamed for the dirty carpets that someone else soiled.

Shoe Covers - Booties - "Protect your floors with Bootie Shoe Covers!"
    I'd never have this issue...I never wear them - too slippery and represent a hazard to/for me. Not into that... In all my years, which are a lot, I've never been accused of soiled carpet.
    I don't do socks..not into that either..

I have been wearing booties for years. I have never slipped using them. I buy a higher end bootie and they last for several inspections.
    I get comments all the time from sellers when they see me slip them on before I enter their house. Even when they say something like, "you don't need those", I tell them that its just a habit, and I don't want to take the chance of tracking in something, since I will be going in and out several times during the inspection.

I also make it a habit to always set my computer up on the kitchen counter, no matter how many times they offer the use of their dining room table, etc. I use an oversize mouse pad to put under the laptop. While the laptop has rubber feet and is not likely to damage a counter, it is the "impression" that I am taking extra care that shows people that I am conscientious.

On rainy days, I set a towel by the front door, for everyone to wipe their feet before coming in the house. Sometimes its the little things that make the impression, and will get the calls.

I have a high percentage of previous sellers becoming clients. I'm sure most of it has to do with the inspection I did on their house, and they want the same quality when they are buying, but there is probably a tie to the way I conduct myself when I meet them, and how I treat their house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12