Default Moisture in main panel

Moisture observed on insulation for 4/0 aluminum service conductor, and could this be corrosion on the main 200 amp breaker? Client did not seem too worried, would you recommend turning off the power until this is corrected?

Sid Alstad

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Moisture in main panel

I don't know about turning off the power, but I sure wouldn't pay any attention to what the client thinks!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

That sucker needs help ASAP Sidney. Corrosion and staining from moisture definitely......active moisture penetration. Water is ether finding it's way in through the service cable/meter box or there is a plumbing leak above the panel. I've also seen this happen from a leak through a chimney chase and from a leak around a 1st floor window with bad flashing.

Isn't it funny how some clients think nothing of significant issues and just kind of poo-pooh them?

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 08-17-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

James Duffin Guest

Is that panel mounted on an exterior wall?

Yes, panel is on an exterior wall above the master bedroom/bathroom. Structure has no chimney and I do not think it is from a plumbing leak as this was another foreclosed property and the water was not on until yesterday. There was a small opening under the deck where the main service wires entered. I will attach a picture.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

sidney,

A couple of years ago, I ran into heavy condensation in a service equipment panel. The panel was located on an exterior wall (typical for CA) that backed to the foundation crawlspace area. The crawlspace was poorly vented and had significant moisture condensation issues, which had migrated into the panel.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    sidney,

A couple of years ago, I ran into heavy condensation in a service equipment panel. The panel was located on an exterior wall (typical for CA) that backed to the foundation crawlspace area. The crawlspace was poorly vented and had significant moisture condensation issues, which had migrated into the panel.
    That's what I was thinking too. I would dry it out, clean it up, and see what it looks like.