Default Overflow discharge pipe at TPR valve

I know that the overflow discharge pipe is not supposed to have any obstructions and should terminate above the floor, but sometimes you see the TPR valve located on the top of the hot water heater with a 90 degree bend to make the turn towards the floor. Today's inspection had the TPR valve on the side, and had 3 90 degree bends, and terminated through the exterior wall into an exterior closet. I am going to write this up as improper. Am I correct in my diagnosis?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Overflow discharge pipe at TPR valve

Quote Originally Posted by sidney alstad View Post
    I know that the overflow discharge pipe is not supposed to have any obstructions and should terminate above the floor, but sometimes you see the TPR valve located on the top of the hot water heater with a 90 degree bend to make the turn towards the floor. Today's inspection had the TPR valve on the side, and had 3 90 degree bends, and terminated through the exterior wall into an exterior closet. I am going to write this up as improper. Am I correct in my diagnosis?
    sidney,

Max of 4 90 degree ells and not to exceed 30 feet long. Not sure if that 30 feet is required to be reduced by a factor for each ell.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Overflow discharge pipe at TPR valve

Thank you Mr Alquist.