Dave Hardcastle Guest

Default Storm Collar Installation

The storm collar was placed on the chimney but not installed, but where would you put it? I suspect that there is insufficient chimney pipe projecting through the chase top but am just guessing. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Dave Hardcastle; 08-19-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Inspection Referral

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Storm Collar Installation

It looks like they quit before they finished the job. Get who ever did the work to come back and finish.

That Marco chimney does not extend far enough through the chase top. Then the storm collar can be properly applied. Most mfrs. will state a min. projection through the chase top. Right now, the cooling intake is partially blocked.

Marco requires the chase top be ventilated with spacers, which this does not appear to have. This can lead to chase top fires.

You would want to know if there are any combustibles under that chase top. At least is is cross-broken for drainage.

Just another good illustration why Dale Feb's F.I.R.E. Inspector course is so valuable. It covers such condition in detail and he shows you many pics of fire losses from just such an installation. Click on the banner to learn more about his courses.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Dave Hardcastle Guest

Thanks Bob.

I guess I need to take Dales class.

At least they formed the cap to run water off. You will be hard pressed to find one like that around here.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com