James Duffin Guest

Default AdvanTech sub-floor panels on screened porch

Has anyone had any experience with the AdvanTech sub-floor panels being used as the sub-floor on a screened porch? The finish surface is ceramic tile. I see where the panels are moisture resistant but are rated Exterior Exposure 1. Does a screened porch qualify as an environment that allows Exterior Exposure 1 products to be used on the floor or do they have to rated for Exterior use? TIA

Compares To Other Moisture Resistant Plywood, Quality Home Construction Wood - AdvanTech

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by James Duffin; 08-19-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added more info
    OREP Insurance

Elliot Franson Guest

Default Re: AdvanTech sub-floor panels on screened porch

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the AdvanTech sub-floor panels being used as the sub-floor on a screened porch? The finish surface is ceramic tile. I see where the panels are moisture resistant but are rated Exterior Exposure 1. Does a screened porch qualify as an environment that allows Exterior Exposure 1 products to be used on the floor or do they have to rated for Exterior use? TIA

Compares To Other Moisture Resistant Plywood, Quality Home Construction Wood - AdvanTech
    Mr. Duffin:

New screened porch plan - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

James Duffin Guest

Thanks for the link! I have had an account there since 2005 and it didn't even cross my mind to look there for guidance. Thanks again!

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the AdvanTech sub-floor panels being used as the sub-floor on a screened porch?

No, but I think it is a bad idea (if not wrong). In the link provided by Mr. Franson there is a lot of discussion about slope and tile setting material, also one idiot said PT joist was not necessary because it was under roof. I would not argue with the tile experts about tile selection or installation but I would take their structural advice with grain of salt.

Elliot Franson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    No, but I think it is a bad idea (if not wrong). In the link provided by Mr. Franson there is a lot of discussion about slope and tile setting material, also one idiot said PT joist was not necessary because it was under roof. I would not argue with the tile experts about tile selection or installation but I would take their structural advice with grain of salt.
    Mr. McIntyre: PT = warpage, shrinkage and bad news for ceraminc tile.

James Duffin Guest

As closure to this thread I got a response back from the manufacture of AdvanTech sub-floor. Below is the response.

Thank you for contacting us regarding using AdvanTech on a screened porch. Unfortunately this is not an approved application. AdvanTech is an Exposure 1 product which means it cannot be exposed permanently as this would be. You should look for a product that is Exterior rated for this application.

Thank you,
    Walker Campbell
    Director Customer Satisfaction

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. McIntyre: PT = warpage, shrinkage and bad news for ceraminc tile.

I agree Mr. Franson but it is unfortunately required (as I know you are well aware of) for a screen porch and to suggest otherwise, as was done on the tile message board, was wrong.

Thanks for the update James D.

This is not a hijacking, but is related somewhat to OP.

A house under permit (just barely) was framed, OSB'd on walls and roof, Advantech floored, but no roof felt, no house wrap, no windows or doors for almost a full six month period, during which two or three snowfalls and several rainy days introduced lots of moisture to the forlorn looking structure.

Have served notice on permit holder that expiration looms, and that re-permit will need evaluation by third party of condition of flooring, which has swelled at joints and at door openings and at locations in field where swelling occurred around interior wall bottom plates.

Anyone here seen anything similar?

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I have personally seen Advantek being gouged out and hauled off in a bucket doe to water damage in a finished home with bad window flashing detail.

JLMathis