Peter Wigle Guest

Default Bayonette switch in phone line?

Every seen this before? The box is on an outside wall and has telephone-type 4-conductor wire going into it. In a cupboard on the interior wall, the wire come to an interesting switch. (Why? Manual surge protector?? "Do Not Disturb" switch?)

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Bayonette switch in phone line?

Looks like a remote phone ringer.
    PS I believe the switch is called a Knife switch

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Looks like a remote phone ringer.
    PS I believe the switch is called a Knife switch
    He's Canadian, eh.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Kyle Holland Guest

It appears to be a security alarm bell that would be in the box and the throw switch is for ON or OFF. Not the way they do things now, but a long time ago.

I think it's unlikely thats an alarm system siren box.
    Because it's harder to get at, the cable on an alarm system siren box feeds from behind.
    On the box shown, the cable could be easily cut.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Kyle Holland Guest

That would be true for today's methods of alarm installing. Many years ago and I'm talking about as near as 30 years ago, alarms were installed without thinking that wires could be cut. If a wire was cut though and it was just the sounding device or the siren or bell, it would not hurt the sending of the signal through the phone line. Then came the cellular or wireless communicator which would send a signal to the authorities even if the land line was cut or if a circuit wire to a switch or any other wire on the alarm circuit and also send the signal stating which wire or zone was cut. So that being said, it does look alot like an exterior box that could house a bell or siren and the throw switch was a way to silence the alarm if needed, which was also a way to manually turn off the sounding device from being a nuisance. They make alarms now and for a long time now where the siren has to have the time out programmed to around 5 minutes to not be the nuisance it can be to neighbors.

" Many years ago and I'm talking about as near as 30 years ago, alarms were installed without thinking that wires could be cut."

Kyle
    Even back in those long ago days, they (alarm systen installers) knew that wires could be cut.

Kyle Holland Guest

Hey Rick, I just read your profile and saw that you are an alarm contractor. So was I in the early to mid 90's. Hey look I was not trying to step on you or anything and I hope you didn't take it that way. It just looked like what I said because I saw it done like that before. But after thinking about it more, it was probably a phone ringer or who knows. Hey just making conversation. I'm new to posting, due to time and other priorities since I became a member last year. I have been in the building business, the alarm business and the inspection business for over 30 years, but that does not make me an expert on anything. I just like to talk about anything to hopefully gain insight.

No problem
    Good to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Holland View Post
    Hey Rick, I just read your profile and saw that you are an alarm contractor. So was I in the early to mid 90's. Hey look I was not trying to step on you or anything and I hope you didn't take it that way. It just looked like what I said because I saw it done like that before. But after thinking about it more, it was probably a phone ringer or who knows. Hey just making conversation. I'm new to posting, due to time and other priorities since I became a member last year. I have been in the building business, the alarm business and the inspection business for over 30 years, but that does not make me an expert on anything. I just like to talk about anything to hopefully gain insight.

wow, a kind, civil, respectful post. Yer not from around these parts I see?

Kyle Holland Guest

Rod, I am from Grand Praire, Texas which is not saying much except it is where I live and have for 51 years. I have read many, many posts and replies since I logged on on 2009 and some are just plain not worth reading. After someone posts, and then someone states their opinion, then someone else starts a fight, and so on and so on and you have to read through so much nonsense you forget the original post. I feel that we all need to get a grip on what our actions and re-actions really cost us. Loss of clarity and loss of professionalism and loss of character just to name a few should be re-examined from each of us or at least those that post hateful or anything less than kindness. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and still growing as an individual and as a Christian. Maybe we will converse on another post. See ya!

Paul Johnston Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wigle View Post
    Every seen this before? The box is on an outside wall and has telephone-type 4-conductor wire going into it. In a cupboard on the interior wall, the wire come to an interesting switch. (Why? Manual surge protector?? "Do Not Disturb" switch?)
    That is an external ringer. I had one just like it years ago. Might have installed the switch to keep from annoying the neighbors or let kids to sleep in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wigle View Post
    It's an Weatherproof Outdoor Loud Ringing bell. The switch was probably placed by the owner to turn the bell off to keep the neighborhood happy. Not a normal phone switch that would have been provided by the phone company. Red and Green are the "line" conductors.