mathew stouffer Guest

Default Refrigerant leakage from coil

Any thoughts on whether this is refrigerant leaking from the coil.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Refrigerant leakage from coil

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Any thoughts on whether this is refrigerant leaking from the coil.
    If I had to hazard a guess I would say that is from someone cleaning a very dirty coil. The most you will see from a refrigerant leak is a clear oil stain, and it will not be nearly that big.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Doesn't look to be a typical refrigerant leak, looks like something nasty dripped onto the equipment though.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

David Bell Guest

I would check for a cracked heat exchanger if that coil is on top of a furnace. Can't tell from the pic whether ductwork goes through the floor. If so it could be leakage from above. Wouldn't hurt to remove the screws from the front of the coil and just visually check the txv if so equipped.

Last edited by David Bell; 08-22-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Talking who spilled my soda?

Looks like it dripped from above the coil.

You usually see filter driers outside at the condenser so I'm wondering what went on that this was added inside. Maybe a changeout reusing the old lineset and may or maynot have flushed it.

I'd look closely at the filter rack to see how well it seals and how much crap has blown past it. Is the blower all crudded up with dust bunnies in the plenum? Did someone throw Coca Cola into the fan?

Check the condensate drain to see if this stuff is internal or external.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Is it an oil furnace?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Smith View Post
    Is it an oil furnace?
    That was my first thought as well.

If it were a refrigerant leak you wouldn't be cooling with that system. And refrigerant leaks tend to leave a stain from the oil, which is clear.

My guess is that they used a condensate tape like Prestite (the gooey stuff) to seal the duct joint. While made for cold surfaces such as condensate and suction lines, it tends to "melt" and bleed under heat and thus use in this manner may be what happened when the furnace was running.

Definitely not a refrigerant leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Saville View Post
    My guess is that they used a condensate tape like Prestite (the gooey stuff) to seal the duct joint. While made for cold surfaces such as condensate and suction lines, it tends to "melt" and bleed under heat and thus use in this manner may be what happened when the furnace was running.

Definitely not a refrigerant leak.
    I agree it not a refrigerant leak, would check to see if the furnace is cycling on the high limit Appears to have a server over heating problem, the bl;ack substance is not idenifiable from the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Melocco View Post
    I agree it not a refrigerant leak, would check to see if the furnace is cycling on the high limit Appears to have a server over heating problem, the bl;ack substance is not idenifiable from the picture.
    Possible condensate drain is stopped or not draining as fast as should and overflowing which happens in my area a lot. Most are not caught right away. many that are in a basement or crawl space around here will go unnoticed for a while (unless an inspection or failure happens). There are many in attics here which then the secondary drain pan under the entire system clogs and overflows then part of the ceiling comes down. A lot of algae and mold issues here anywhere a little moisture is and usually will clog a 3/4 inch drain commonly used here.

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Melocco View Post
    I have been on numerous unidentifiable leak calls in my 25 years of service work. While I agree that a refrigerant leak is not probable, it is still possible. The oil will contaminate with the surrounding dirt, dust, or anything else on the coil and look bad. My original thought and what I still believe is a cracked heat exchanger. Only an in depth test of the system will reveal the true reason for this. Condensate problems do not leave those type of stains.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I have been on numerous unidentifiable leak calls in my 25 years of service work. While I agree that a refrigerant leak is not probable, it is still possible. The oil will contaminate with the surrounding dirt, dust, or anything else on the coil and look bad. My original thought and what I still believe is a cracked heat exchanger. Only an in depth test of the system will reveal the true reason for this. Condensate problems do not leave those type of stains.
    A cracked heat exchanger isn't likely to leave that type of staining as well.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword