Thread: Superior walls

Default Superior walls

Moisture observed between metal studs at all area's of lower level. Is this related to the fact that footers are not utilized for this system, moisture wicking up from the gravel due to the improper slope of soil. Also, why would anyone put the fiberglass over the rigid?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Superior walls

More info, please. Is the first pic looking down at a basement floor, that is, below ground? If so, then yes, ground water is running down the hill straight into the basement.
    I don't see any rigid, I imagine you mean rigid foam insulation behind the FG?

By no footer do you mean no concrete footing under the concrete perimeter wall? What is needed there is a functioning perimeter drain system. But how do you know whether it has a footer or not? Or perimeter drains? Is that not a concrete wall under the deck?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    More info, please. Is the first pic looking down at a basement floor, that is, below ground? If so, then yes, ground water is running down the hill straight into the basement.
    I don't see any rigid, I imagine you mean rigid foam insulation behind the FG?

By no footer do you mean no concrete footing under the concrete perimeter wall? What is needed there is a functioning perimeter drain system. But how do you know whether it has a footer or not? Or perimeter drains? Is that not a concrete wall under the deck?
    This is not basement, but rather a lower level with a walkout at grade level at the side, very typical for the mountains of NC. The first picture is of the interior lower level wall below grade and directly behind the improper slope of soil under the front porch shown in picture 3. The rigid insulation is not visible until you remove the FG. From my research on the Superior Wall system footers are not utilized, rather they are set on gravel and connected to the slab.

I have uploaded two more pictures, the first showing the slope and dwelling, the second the opening under the superior wall system (12"+) as footers are not required nor utilized for these systems as far as I know.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by sidney alstad View Post
    ... as footers are not required nor utilized for these systems as far as I know.
    What allowed you to believe footings may not be required?

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

OK, I don't see a rain gutter on that roof, so all that water is running under the porch back into the house. The slope under the porch is obviously wrong. There should be a perimeter drain system around the base of the place, regardless of the foundation system.
    If no repairs are done, there is a good chance the foundation walls will move with all that moisture in the surrounding soil. Those metal studs are going to rust as well.

Gutters, downspouts and a ditch around the back would be a good start.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Sounds like a walkout basement, still a basement. Lots of those superior walls around here. The gravel base still has to be below the frost line. No concrete footings needed if done right. The front is missing the yard. Looks like a hill right outside the front door. Time to bring the backhoe back.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Comb View Post
    This link: Superior Walls By Collier Foundation Systems, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    OK, I don't see a rain gutter on that roof, so all that water is running under the porch back into the house. The slope under the porch is obviously wrong. There should be a perimeter drain system around the base of the place, regardless of the foundation system.
    If no repairs are done, there is a good chance the foundation walls will move with all that moisture in the surrounding soil. Those metal studs are going to rust as well.

Gutters, downspouts and a ditch around the back would be a good start.
    It does have gutters with drainways. I had to reduce the picture size so that I could post it.

The slab maybe colder at edges and condensation is forming in hot humid weather. The gravel is breaking soil/concrete contact so it may not be necessarily moisture migrating from soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    The slab maybe colder at edges and condensation is forming in hot humid weather. The gravel is breaking soil/concrete contact so it may not be necessarily moisture migrating from soil.
    That makes sense, the property has been closed up for some time as it is another foreclosure. Power turned on last week for the first time since last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Comb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidney alstad View Post
    The link states stone is required - stone is the footing. And to remain a footing, the stone needs an effective drainage system.

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

Read Fred Comb he is correct!