Shane Dredge Guest

Default Trash can used as sanitary pump crock

Ran into a sanitary pump yesterday that was installed in a modified trash can (lid was on it ). There was not a check valve / back flow prevent in line with the discharge pipe. The discharge pipe did have a p-trap prior to the connection with the waste drain line. The pump was set up for the clothes washing machine only. Nothing else drained into the trash can. The home was built in 1993. I decided to recommend a crock with a sealed lid and a back flow device. Are there any plumbers out there that would add or enlighten me on something that I might be missing. I am admittedly a little weak in the gray water area.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Shane Dredge Guest

Default Re: Trash can used as sanitary pump crock

Forgot the pics

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Not sure what I should say about this besides ... unconventional and non-conforming drain assembly that is unlikely to be safe or compliant. Remove and have Code compliant drain assembly installed by licensed plumber.
    I've read articles about people out west sending gray water to trash cans/holding tanks etc; running the water through a filtering system; and then running it out into the yard for irrigation water.
    It doesn't look like that is that sort of set-up though.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

It is an improvised sump pit and it probably works ok.
    There is no trap on the washer stand pipe. It is just greywater, but there will always be some dirty greywater in the garbage can, so why not install a trap there?
    You are correct to call for a more heavy-duty crock with a tight lid. Garbage cans are not designed to be full of water, and the plastic will break down and start to leak after a while. It's clever, but it has limitations.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca