Default Partially blocked registers

Came across a renovation of a 50+ year old home. New ducting, but old registers and they are partially blocked at various areas. Any health hazards with conditioned air/heat blowing on old gypsum/plaster board etc. How would you write this up besides being a sloppy workmanship.

Thanks, Sid

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Partially blocked registers

Likely potential for condensation issues in the wall.

Likely potential for air infiltration/exfiltration issues in the wall to/from the attic/crawl space.

Likely fireblocking issues in the wall.

Register not able to be removed without removing baseboard/etc. (add in whatever you think *might* affect this).

Likely potential that permits were not obtained and inspections not made, quite likely by an unlicensed contractor (but the, if they are unlicensed, are they a "contractor"? ).

If people who use unlicensed "contractors" in Florida ever got wise to what the law specifically states, the use of unlicensed "contractors" would skyrocket, hit some imaginary ceiling, then plummet to virtually none as the unlicensed "contractors" would not dare do the work.

This is because, in Florida, a contract with an unlicensed "contractor" is specifically stated in state law as being *unenforceable*! That's right, have an unlicensed contractor build your addition, then refuse to pay them and tell them to go fly a kite, that their contract is unenforceable under state law, sue me and you will see, and in addition your but will get hauled off to jail for unlicensed contractor (okay, that last part happens all too infrequently, but it does happen). Then you tell the unlicensed contractor that they are trespassing and to get off your property, and, oh, by the way, thank you for all the work you did, and, one more thing, I have already called the building department and turned you in and have a meeting with the Building Official so I can clear up this unpermitted, he said I was a victim and he would work with me, so I will be working with them to make the work legal - and you STILL GET NOTHING.

Then you say "Bye, have a nice day."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

Baseboard trim should be cut and correct baseboard register installed. Hole is not roughed in for a drop in register.

Philip Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Likely potential for condensation issues in the wall.

Likely potential for air infiltration/exfiltration issues in the wall to/from the attic/crawl space.

Likely fireblocking issues in the wall.

Register not able to be removed without removing baseboard/etc. (add in whatever you think *might* affect this).

Likely potential that permits were not obtained and inspections not made, quite likely by an unlicensed contractor (but the, if they are unlicensed, are they a "contractor"? ).

If people who use unlicensed "contractors" in Florida ever got wise to what the law specifically states, the use of unlicensed "contractors" would skyrocket, hit some imaginary ceiling, then plummet to virtually none as the unlicensed "contractors" would not dare do the work.

This is because, in Florida, a contract with an unlicensed "contractor" is specifically stated in state law as being *unenforceable*! That's right, have an unlicensed contractor build your addition, then refuse to pay them and tell them to go fly a kite, that their contract is unenforceable under state law, sue me and you will see, and in addition your but will get hauled off to jail for unlicensed contractor (okay, that last part happens all too infrequently, but it does happen). Then you tell the unlicensed contractor that they are trespassing and to get off your property, and, oh, by the way, thank you for all the work you did, and, one more thing, I have already called the building department and turned you in and have a meeting with the Building Official so I can clear up this unpermitted, he said I was a victim and he would work with me, so I will be working with them to make the work legal - and you STILL GET NOTHING.

Then you say "Bye, have a nice day."
    Would that not be a form of stealing. Let's say for argument that the unlicensed contractor did a top notch job and had paid for the materials. In most cities of KY no license is required. I used to tell people that in KY you only need a hammer to be a contractor, no wait, you can borrow one from the homeowner. You live in a world where the government should be in every aspect of one's life, and I want to live in a world where everyone carries a gun.

Restricts air flow. It is not correct. Corrective measures recommended.

Jess
    www.aplusinspector.com
    (815) 941-2345

Most of what needs to be said has been said, except . . thanks for the picture. Stuff like this makes me chuckle. Shake my head in disbelief, but smiling at the same time.

Exclamation Re: Partially blocked registers

FYI, blocked or restricted supply ducts can lead to depressurization issues such as backdrafting.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

James Duffin Guest

I agree with post #3 (DB). It looks like it should be baseboard registers for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Would that not be a form of stealing.
    If so ... it is sanctioned by state law.

Yes, it is a form of stealing, only not the way you are thinking - the thief is the unlicensed contractor, the home owner simply outwits the thief.

Consider it this way: A thief enters your house to steal something, in leaving he loses his shirt, ... is it the your responsibility to make sure the thief gets his shirt back?

Let's say for argument that the unlicensed contractor did a top notch job and had paid for the materials.
    That would be the unlicensed contractor's problem.

In most cities of KY no license is required.
    Which is why I used "in Florida" so many times in that post.

"In Florida" the contractors are required to be licensed, and if you are not licensed, by state law, the contract is declared unenforceable.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    Looks like the construction dude could not find one of the original registers.
    JR
    I would expect this to be an outside wall (unless an interior bathroom).

To me it looks like classic DIY mistake from watching too many television shows, applying wainscotting and crown moulding to "improve" the value and attraction of your home! "Sell this house" and "trading spaces" type shows with half-baked ideas sans common sense, gone amok.

Applied wainscotting overtop of existing wall finish, may have already been multiple layers (for example plaster board with skim coat overlayed with drywall to hide destruction/damage/deterioration or shimmed out for more insulation, or straighten appearance of "wavy" or less than plumb wall) then came the wainscotting kit project overtop and adding insult to injury - the pictured base board selection. Apparently someone went to great pains to scribe it pinning the floor and covering the duct opening and a recently acquired oak floor register, when what was likely originally a metal BASEBOARD register or baseboard "diffuser".

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-30-2010 at 11:34 PM.