Default question for energy experts ...

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 08-30-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo on "who", was "how" :-( , Thank you Markus
    Inspection Referral
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: question for energy experts ...

You mean of course, "WHO is an energy expert", right?
    I'm an expert at using it up, not sure what you are looking for Jerry.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    How is an energy expert?
    Can you please reword your question?

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Richard Soundy Guest

Watt....... ?

Regards Richard

Okay, (jeez, that was a real bad typo there, wasn't it? ) ...

WHO (got it right this time) is an energy expert and familiar with Manual D? The older version and the newer version?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    WHO is an energy expert and familiar with Manual D? The older version and the newer version?
    Anyone?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

I was a CEM but I let it laspe....

I've done Manual J and D load calcs. I can do them, have done them, they take me forever, because I do them so rarely, but wouldn't consider myself an expert by any reasonable standard. Sorry Jerry. Have J and D manuals a that are a couple years old. Had older books that I gave to a friend. I know a guy who is somewhat better at them, I could ask, if I knew what to ask.
    Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Another option Jerry, besides laziness, one of the reasons many HVAC aren't all that good at load calcs is because we don't have to actually do them very often. When we do need one it is often easier to have the guru guy at the supply house do it for us. If one has an account and buys equipment regularly its not a problem to ask the inhouse guy to do the J&D for a particular job.
    How does this pertain to you. Well, you could call the local HVAC houses and get a referral for a guy. The bigger wholesalers around here all have some sort of degreed design/calc guy on staff.
    I keep meaning to take a refresher course but the schedule always seems to conflict. Around here the supply houses have CE classes during the year for a nominal charge (free,$40-$100) Manual J/AC is usually in the spring, D, furnaces and boilers in the fall.
    Hope that helps. Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Bob Spermo Guest

Jerry,

I have a partner that worked for Trane for 20 years as a manual J, D and S trainer. He sells elite software and is the most knowledgeable guy I have met on Manual J, D and S calculations. Give me a question and I will get it answered for you or send me an email and I will get you in touch with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    Jerry,

I have a partner that worked for Trane for 20 years as a manual J, D and S trainer. He sells elite software and is the most knowledgeable guy I have met on Manual J, D and S calculations. Give me a question and I will get it answered for you or send me an email and I will get you in touch with him.

Bob,

Thank you for the offer, however, I already had someone who answered the question for me.

If you would send his name to me, I may have other energy related questions and could use several knowledgeable people as 'go to' people.

Thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philip Guest

Jerry,
    I am an energy expert. It is BTU's IN and BTU's OUT.

Steve Szypulski Guest

Jerry-

I am an ICC Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner. I have WrightSoft available. I have an NAHB green verifier certification.

Do you have a particular question or are you referral shopping?

Steve Z

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Jerry,
    I am an energy expert. It is BTU's IN and BTU's OUT.
    Phillip,

You almost passed the test.

You forgot to include "efficiency" loss in that calculation.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Is it still true that these "energy audits" are still done without IR cameras?

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Kris Ericsen Guest

Red face Re: question for energy experts ...

Anybody know of a simple & cheap and/or free program I can use for determining siding & window layout and estimating materials quantities & cost on an existing house? (mine) somebody or some material provider out there must have come up with a program by now.

Thanks

PS Winter's not far away

Handyman WIRE - Handyman USA : Profile for HeatPro

Here's a guy for you JP.... this guy disects HVAC to it's smallest detail and knows it backward, forward, up, down and any other direction... kind of like you with HI

He's on the Handymanwire message board all the time and answers questions quickly. You'll either agree with him or we'll never see you here again because you're busy debating him for hours on end.... in any case, at the end of the day I've never found anyone who knows more about HVAC.

Philip Guest

Let us not forget e=mc2. I bet I can visually inspect a house and come as close as someone using thousands of dollars of equipment as to where the heat loss is occurring. Do you all not remember the National Geographic magazine published in the early 80s. If they pass this absurd law that requires all real estate to undergo an energy audit they will be doing what government seems to do best, get it wrong. The government is power hungry and what is diminishing in this country is personal choice. Do you realize that in the Obamacare there will be 3.8% federal tax on the sell of real estate.

Darrel Kelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Let us not forget e=mc2. I bet I can visually inspect a house and come as close as someone using thousands of dollars of equipment as to where the heat loss is occurring. Do you all not remember the National Geographic magazine published in the early 80s. If they pass this absurd law that requires all real estate to undergo an energy audit they will be doing what government seems to do best, get it wrong. The government is power hungry and what is diminishing in this country is personal choice. Do you realize that in the Obamacare there will be 3.8% federal tax on the sell of real estate.
    I think you meant E=MC^2 and I would take that bet as I walk through and can see behind the walls where insulation is missing or improperly installed. As for the energy audits on the sale of homes I wish they had been in place when my daughter bought her home because the heating bills were $400 to $600 a month until we discovered there was no good insulation in the walls and after cutting in an attic access there was none at all in the attic. Felt the political commentary was out of place but since you brought it up go to

A 3.8 Percent “Sales Tax” on Your Home? | FactCheck.org

to find out the truth.

Q: Does the new health care law impose a 3.8 percent tax on profits from selling your home?
    A: No, with very few exceptions. The first $250,000 in profit from the sale of a personal residence won’t be taxed, or the first $500,000 in the case of a married couple. The tax falls on relatively few — those with high incomes from other sources.

So many resources you would think... *shrugs*

Philip Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Kelly View Post
    I think you meant E=MC^2 and I would take that bet as I walk through and can see behind the walls where insulation is missing or improperly installed. As for the energy audits on the sale of homes I wish they had been in place when my daughter bought her home because the heating bills were $400 to $600 a month until we discovered there was no good insulation in the walls and after cutting in an attic access there was none at all in the attic. Felt the political commentary was out of place but since you brought it up go to

A 3.8 Percent “Sales Tax” on Your Home? | FactCheck.org

to find out the truth.

Q: Does the new health care law impose a 3.8 percent tax on profits from selling your home?
    A: No, with very few exceptions. The first $250,000 in profit from the sale of a personal residence won’t be taxed, or the first $500,000 in the case of a married couple. The tax falls on relatively few — those with high incomes from other sources.

So many resources you would think... *shrugs*
    I stand corrected. It is only taxing the rich and I am all for that. I would think that having the homeseller furnish a history of the utilities bills would be common practise,(utilties will do this for free in IN) a crawl through the attic will tell you a lot about how the house is going to lose or gain BTU's, but most of it goes out the window. I for one am an advocate of allowing some infiltration of fresh air.
    The political comment was directed to legislation requiring all homes to be energy rated, so you can run around with your IF gun and house fans and add another cost to homeowners. Big Brother knows best for you.