mathew stouffer Guest

Default Angle Iron Above window

This is a mix of cultured stone and natural stone (thin stone). Is angle iron needed above the windows?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Angle Iron Above window

It is probably adhered to the wall, right?

Not stacked on top of one another self-supporting the ones above on the ones below, with an air space between the stones and the stones anchored to the wall like masonry veneer, right?

Then, no, no angle is required as the stone is fully adhered to the wall and the wall is supporting the weight of the stone.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

You are correct. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    Jerry, I cannot visualize how the thin stone (the natural stone in the mix) could be satisfactorly attached to the wall and therefor over the windows a lintel would be needed. Maybe an attachment method will come to me later.
    JR
    James,

It is adhered with mortars, special epoxy mortars, special adhesives, etc., and, being as it is fully adhered, think of it as 'thick stucco' plastered on masonry - no other support is needed.

You only need a lintel or shelf angle when the wall does not carry the weight, where the weight is self-supporting, i.e., as where one brick is stacked on top another brick which is on a supporting foundation, the stacked brick is then simply anchored to the wall to keep the stacked brick from falling over.

When you install tile on a bathroom wall, does the tub support the tile or is the tile fully adhered to the wall? The tile is fully adhered to the wall, and that bathroom wall is not as strong as the exterior wall.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Not to put too fine a point on JP's post, but the weight of the wall above the window is carried by a box type framing header which transfers the weight to the side or king studs at the window perimeter. Thus, unless the wall is comprised of CMU, no lintel is required.

I'm a dyslexic agnostic-Don't believe there is a dog...

So in order to bond the stone/fiberglass to the wall the house wrap would have to be moved to underneath the sheathing and the sheathing would have to be water proof and not just water resistant.

No, there are two types of applications:
    1) Fully adhered to solid substrate - think masonry, as in block walls.
    2) Over metal lath attached to framing similar to what you would find behind stucco, with the stone fully adhered to the lath which is attached to the wall sheathing, and there is a WRB over the sheathing with an additional drainage plane on it (i.e., felt paper or a second layer of WRB).

What you described would surely lead to failure.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

This type application is what was sometimes called "lick and stick" as wetting before "back buttering" or imbedding/applying was essential to maintaining bond.Like stucco usually is a scratch coat. Over openings usually a temp support, sometimes a nail while cures. When not embedded later or removed often the source of "mysterious" rust color or other "bleeding" stains later on.

So in order to bond the stone/fiberglass to the wall the house wrap would have to be moved to underneath the sheathing and the sheathing would have to be water proof and not just water resistant. Water wicking to the sheathing and the deteriation over time could be a problem. I do not see the bonding agent as failing but the substance to which it is bonded.
    Did I read that right?? Does this jack-off really think that is how construction works?? PLEASE tell me you are not a Home Inspector. Please tell me you have never had any experience in the construction industry. Where are you finding these guys??

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
    ... ??
    John Carroll,

Removal of the rude, sarcastic comments, retorical questions, vulgar name calling and personal attacks left nothing to quote!

AFAIK, "James Risley" hasn't claimed to be anything, ever, since he showed up here.

Licensed Texas Home Inspectors regulated by TREC:

TREC Licensee Info Search

IIRC Texas doesn't require anything to be a general contractor or independant. No insurance, experience, license, knowledge, citizenship, residence, nothing. Seems they sunset the newer limited home builders regulations quite some time ago.

Last time I checked, there is no such requirement to post on the forum either. Following the rules of the forum, is, and we've been reminded to do so by our host.

H. G.,

Sometimes John makes us wonder the same things (the things he said) about him. He claims to be a stucco expert, stucco installer, stucco this-and-that, yet some of the things he says come from out of left field (so to speak, and we are not even playing that game nor on that field - that's how far off some of his things have been).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Too much sun can do things to a ones mind

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Too much sun can do things to a ones mind
    Around here, it's not enough sun. I posted this pic last year, but it's a good demonstration of what can be done with wood frame and mortar.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ok, ok, maybe I was a little harsh. Sorry if you were offended, James.

HG-Rude and sarcastic is my style. I've read some of your bloviations, you could use an editor. If you can't find anything to quote, feel free to make up anything you fancy.

JP- Thanks for the feedback, wondered where you've been...