Default did I miss the bee hive

Hi everybody

I did a house inspection about 3 weeks ago and stand on the roof. Today I had a talk with the realtor. She said the client found a bee hive 10X5 cm on the roof and has to call the past control.

Is there any chance did not notice that? I really do not feel comfortable though they did not blame me.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: did I miss the bee hive

A lot can happen in 3 weeks with bees.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Hi everybody

I did a house inspection about 3 weeks ago and stand on the roof. Today I had a talk with the realtor. She said the client found a bee hive 10X5 cm on the roof and has to call the past control.

Is there any chance did not notice that? I really do not feel comfortable though they did not blame me.
    Are bees a part of your SOPs?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I have a concern of getting in an attic that has bees/ wasp.
    A couple of years ago I was stung 9 times, and I was outside.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

James Duffin Guest

Hi everybody

Did they tell you what is what attached to? Maybe under a vent hood of some kind?

Thanks everybody. I am a rookie. By the way what is sops.

Standards of Practice

Thanks everybody. I am a rookie. By the way what is sops.
    Standard of Practice or Standards of Practice. Around here, insects are not a part of the standards. If I see them, I will report it. But, with everything else, I cannot be expected to comment on bugs too. Check your standards.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thank you again, I have to do lots of homework.

If that's all you missed, you did great. Don't worry about it.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Hi everybody

Not a big deal, as other have said Bees are not part of your SOP. OTH, I do hope that if you did see an active bee hive or signs of bees that you would let your client know about it. A bee hive in the wall of a home can cause a great deal of damage to the home.

Peter, go your profile and post your location. It helps everyone if we know where you are located.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

peter
    like all have said above, but what are SOPS??
    where did you get your certification or training, all states and or organizations have a standards of practice to guide you {sop}

complete your profile and good luck in the inspection world

cvf

Hi everybody

Peter,(or is it Pierre? ) most BC home inspectors follow the CAHPI(BC) SOP. All licensed inspectors follow an SOP of some kind, and you must be licensed, right?
    You are not required to inspect bee's nests. Just the same, we should be on the lookout for pests of all kind and report the presence or suspected presence of any bees, wasps or hornets. Also, I report silverfish if I see them, and of course any wood destroying insects.
    The main three insect pests here are termites, carpenter ants, and powder post beetles. If you miss those, you have not done your job.
    Rodents are another one you have to report, just to meet minimum expectations.

The "bees" were probably yellow jacket wasps or hornets. They can build a nest in 3 months, no problemo. They were not on the roof, but under some part of the roof.
    Be prepared for these little gripes and have your rebuttals ready. Good luck.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

thank you all. Please do not challenge my certificate. I am not really used to the abbreviation or acronym. English is my 2nd language.

Hi John, read your posts lots. I have not got any chance to see termites, carpenter ants, and powder post beetles. I asked my mentors about termites. They said it is unusual in lower mainland. are they common on island? Can you send me some pictures?

thank you all. Please do not challenge my certificate. I am not really used to the abbreviation or acronym. English is my 2nd language.

Hi John, read your posts lots. I have not got any chance to see termites, carpenter ants, and powder post beetles. I asked my mentors about termites. They said it is unusual in lower mainland. are they common on island? Can you send me some pictures?
    We usually see the damaged wood first, close to the ground.. The termites stay in the dark as much possible (except when they sprout wings and go flying. )
    You have Dampwood termites where you are, so the wood will usually be soft or rotten. Go for a walk in the bush, knock any rotten stump or log apart, you'll find termites. Look for the long channels in the wood. They eat the softwood and leave the hard rings, like kids. Their mummys don't make them eat the crusts. Here's a good link.

Integrated Pest Management Program - IPM Manual for Structural Pests in B.C. - Chapter 9

You guys down south have the agressive subs, different animal.

The third pic is from yesterday's crawl. All you see is sawdust (frass). It is from carpenter ants. They don't eat wood, so we find them by the mess they leave outside their nests. Look for black exoskeletons of the dead ants pushed out with the trash. To the right is frass trapped behind the plastic.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 09-08-2010 at 09:32 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

this is so practical, thank you John

Tim Allison Guest

Did they say that the hive was not structurally sound?