Default Main Breaker Wiring

I don't believe I have seen a main disconnect wired this way. It doesn't look right to me. (This is not a remote panel.) Master electricians please comment - Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Greg Jenkins

Default Re: Main Breaker Wiring

What was done was a main lug panel is being backfed thru the breaker. The wires could certainly be aligned better to the breaker screws. A hold down kit is needed on what is now the main breaker. I can't see if it is installed.

One of the cables also needs a connector.

Craig Mulder Guest

This is fairly common in my area. The breaker serves as a disconnect in the panel. The only problems I would have with it are the 3-wire on the left does not have any type of connector where it enters the panel and "neat and workman like manner" issues.
    There is probably to much stress on the service entrance conductors from the looks of the way they are terminated at the breaker also.

Craig

I was wondering (before I made this post) if a breaker could be backfed and still function properly. Since I am not familiar with this practice, I did not know to look for a " hold down kit". My other concern was the proximity of the se cables to the neutral bar. It appears that it would present an increased hazard when adding new circuits.
    Yes, there were a few other conditions that need attention in the panel. Thanks for your observations.

Greg Jenkins

Roger Frazee Guest

Just to mention a few other things since you are saying this is the main panel (which I will take to mean the 'service equipment'.)

The neutrals and grounds are separated as shown but I do not see the main bonding jumper at the neutral bar but it likely is there or the one gfci circuit would not work..

At least 2 different type breakers are installed .. the panel needs to be checked for compliance for those breakers

The gfci breaker neutral is terminated to the ground bar ... that is a violation.

The panel labeling must list the panel as suitable for service equipment with a back fed main breaker.

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 09-08-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added gfci circuit

The panel looks to be a ITE/Siemens & the main breaker is a GE so if it's a Siemens panel there is no way a breaker hold down would work W/O replacing the main breaker , then there is the issue of when it was installed there are a lot of backfed mains that were code compliant* when they installed W/O a breaker retainer/holddown. The routing of the cables leaves much to be desired & the lack of a connector on a cable needs to be addressed.

* Mixing a ITE / Seimens panel & GE main breaker eliminates that as a possibility, I see GE,Bryant/C-H BR, & a Siemens/Murray breaker(s) in there also.