Ron Bibler Guest

Default Microwave ovens test

How long do you test Microwave ovens for ? I alway just heated a peace of wet paper and called it good... But the other day I had one that had so many button and settings on it the only one I could get the thing to work on was the potato setting L.O.L. Any ways the I Let the thing run for a few and sparks/smoke started going off inside...

So I'm now going run all these things for a bit longer...

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Jon mackay Guest

Default Re: Microwave ovens test

I don't believe that their is any way to consistently test a microwave. There are so many different wattage levels out there. Then you have convection combo units to add to the mix.
    I don't ever report them as being tested.

I have often thought of bringing along a hot pocket so that I can state:

Cooked one standard hot pocket in time indicated on package with no visible problems plus I would have a good reason to eat lunch

In Texas, we're required to operate the micowave. It is suggested that you heat a container of water or other heating method.

rick

In North Carolina, we are required to "inspect and operate" permanently installed microwave ovens.

I splash some water in a glass and hit 1 min button. If the temperature rises, then it is has been operated.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I do the wet paper towel thing also. I turn it on for about 15 sec, look for a steaming paper towel and all is good. I also have one of those fandangled plastic bars with 3 red led lights. Most of the time I can't find it in my tool bag or I forget about it. The wet towel does the trick for me.

I know of one inspector that pops a bag of popcorn when he has clients with him. He has been doing it for years and has only had a couple of homeowners who became upset with the popcorn odor in the home after they left.

As for all of the buttons, etc. that are found on microwaves; It is my theory that all of the microwave makers only produce 50 units per model and then they make a new model! I seldom see the same microwave twice! Tell your clients that it worked on X setting and that was the only one you tried!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I carry a small plastic tumbler in my tool bag. That way I can test the refrig's water dispenser hook up and fire up the microwave afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    How long do you test Microwave ovens for ? I alway just heated a peace of wet paper and called it good... But the other day I had one that had so many button and settings on it the only one I could get the thing to work on was the potato setting L.O.L. Any ways the I Let the thing run for a few and sparks/smoke started going off inside...

Best

Ron
    I through my hand towel in and let it cook for 10-15 sec. If it comes out warm, its good to go! I have left it too long while checking other things in the kitchen and scorched it, bad smell.

I tried to do a lazy mans smoores for the grandkids by placing a marshmallow and chocolate between two gram crackers on a small plate. The arcs and sparks flew! Tried it several times with different plates and the same results.... I was a microwave radio relay tech in the service, and can't give you a reason that a marshmallow arcs and sparks. Now I build a fire in the chimnea when the kids are in.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Any ways the I Let the thing run for a few and sparks/smoke started going off inside...

Best

Ron
    Soooo, you like the sparks and smoke routine huh?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL