Thread: Introduction

Dwight Walker Guest

Default Introduction

Hello Everyone, I'm a new member and would like to say hello.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Introduction

Welcome. Maybe you can share why you joined and what you hope to share or gain?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Dwight Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Welcome. Maybe you can share why you joined and what you hope to share or gain?
    Mr. Ramsey:

I joined as I am starting my own Inspection Business on a part time basis for now and look to go full time later on when I retire in about 10 years as a full time hobby so I don't go crazy having nothing to do.

I have over 37 years in the construction industry, with a background in civil engineering. I have been an inspector on the municipal side for a few years within municipal building departments, worked for government in residential and residential commercial (high rise) construction, ran my own consulting company for a few years doing residential, commercial and industrial designs, inspections, project management.

I have worked for ever 10 years for manufacturers of construction products in the technical services aspect trouble shooting product failures, installation failures, building science issues, involved in Code committees, assisting with the preparation of Technical Guides for testing products for Code alternative compliance, worked with Architects in the Green Movement (green roofing), etc. I think you get the picture, I've done a lot of stuff over the years in construction which has a direct and indirect relationship to home inspections.

What I hope to learn from the forum is all the stuff I don't know about home inspections, not to say I can't do them, but there are other experienced inspectors with good ideas on ways to look at things or inspect things I haven't either tried or don't know about. There are good people doing good jobs all over, and we need to share what we can with each other.

What I hope to contribute is my knowledge and experience in the construction field to anyone who would like to have an alternative view point or just some straight talk about problems and solutions that I have had the opportunity to see work. That's what we are all here for, to live, learn and share our knowledge and experience with those who need it, or just want to know. The earth isn't really that big in retrospect to the universe, and there's a lot of people on this ball, so we need to get along and sharing seems like good place to start.

I hope my response answered your question.

Dwight Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Walker View Post
    I joined as I am starting my own Inspection Business on a part time basis for now and look to go full time later on when I retire in about 10 years as a full time hobby so I don't go crazy having nothing to do.
    Dwight Walker
    Very complete response. Thank you.

You may consider a different term besides Hobby. Most of the regular contributors are full time professional home inspectors. The idea that this profession can be performed adequately as a "hobbyist" might be considered demeaning.

Good luck with your new endeavor!

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."