Default Aluminum- Copper pigtail

The splice in this panel has me a little concerned. By the size and shape of the tape wads I would have to guess they are wire nuts and not copalum crimp splices. The house was built in 2000 and I think the purple wire nuts were code compliant at the time (and may still be), but can't tell if they are the Ideal #65 type or not.

There have been several threads regarding the different splices and the purple Ideal #65 is known to have failed.

What, if anything would you put in the report?

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Aluminum- Copper pigtail

It looks like they used a split bolt to change from alum to copper so the wire would fit on a 30 amp breaker. The only concern, if any, would be if they used a copper to alum split bolt. If I saw that and the rest of the panel looked OK I would not say anything.

Lot's of time the electrician does not know what is going to be installed so they run a wire to handle most anything. I bet this circuit is for an outside condensing unit or heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    It looks like they used a split bolt to change from alum to copper so the wire would fit on a 30 amp breaker. The only concern, if any, would be if they used a copper to alum split bolt. If I saw that and the rest of the panel looked OK I would not say anything.

Lot's of time the electrician does not know what is going to be installed so they run a wire to handle most anything. I bet this circuit is for an outside condensing unit or heat pump.
    Your right about it being for a/c, but the shape is "wire nut".

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Just for argument sake...

Assumming both wires are copper, is there an approved wire nut that would handle the two different wire sizes?

And you have 2 breakers feeding a single wire with the lower splice. Turn off one breaker and the wires are still engerized.

Get a sparky in there.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 09-14-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Just for argument sake...

Assumming both wires are copper, is there an approved wire nut that would handle the two different wire sizes?
    Most wire nuts are listed for a range of wire sizes. The wires do not have to be the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    And you have 2 breakers feeding a single wire with the lower splice. Turn off one breaker and the wires are still engerized.

Get a sparky in there.
    I believe what you are seeing is the black conductor going to the 2 pole breaker below the one with the splice in question.

Roger Frazee Guest

Why the splice? A 30 amp QO breaker will accept 8 awg al/cu.

James Duffin Guest

Maybe it is a #6?

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Maybe it is a #6?
    HI James

Yeah could be....I was going by the 40 amp breaker below the 30 amp those wires look identical in size to me but I suppose they could both be # 6 and likely to be the case since they are aluminum..