Thread: Ridge shingle

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Ridge shingle

Do you mention this installation. Presidential shingle with mismatching ridge shingle. Same with the 30 year shingle.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ridge shingle

Did they skip the last rows on those presidentials? I'd certainly point that out. I think one more row is needed to cover the seams.
    Third pic - too many exposed nails, yep, I'd mention that too. Amateurs at work.
    Color difference? Maybe a word or two. Lazy amateurs.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-shingles.html

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...es-matter.html

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-shingles.html

Lipstick on a pig, not a 40-year cherry on the top either.

Last pic, Exposed nails, top of pic three already splitting on the ridge...you know better, of course, can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, need mfg. cap shingles, esp. in blustery snow country.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-14-2010 at 07:51 PM.

mathew stouffer Guest

So the manufacture will require their cap shingles to be used on the presidential roof. The last pic Im not really concerned about, the roof in general was DIY with a 12 pac. Should have seen the cut valley

mathew stouffer Guest

Here we go again, I am on a roll lately. I seem to be the only one who thinks this is incorrect. Am I missing something? It this type of ridge shingle permissible on a presidental shingle. Or does the manufacture require installation of their ridge shingle. That seams to be the question.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

If you know the shingle manufacturer you can typically look up the installation instructions on their website. I don't think they will "require" their specific ridge shingles. But, you should never see a laminated (architectural) shingle used as a ridge. Typically the ridge shingle will be a thick single ply similar to 1/3 of a three tab.

If a regular 3 tab is used it will wear out long before the laminated shingle.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks.