Daniel Leung Guest

Default Kitchen Safety - Cabinet Handle

Please compare the two photos.
    Do you think the handle on kitchen cabinet is a safety concern?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Kitchen Safety - Cabinet Handle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    Please compare the two photos.
    Do you think the handle on kitchen cabinet is a safety concern?
    What is your concerns ?

Best

Ron

Are you worried about children using the drawer handles as ladder rungs?

Put the right variables together and you can bruise your thigh or junior and poke his eye with pretty much any cabinet handle.
    I don't see any real issue.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

My wife wanted those handles in the 1st pic for our kitchen reno. I priced the small ones at $9.99 apiece times 21 handles, holy crap! Now everybody's got 'em in their new kitchens, and frankly, I think I agree with Daniel. They are a pain in the a$$.

We went with the U-shaped brushed steel for $3.99 apiece and they are now cool again.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

More concerned about the gas range (or is it dual fuel, electric below?) installation. Appears out of level and too proud from countertops & cabinets faces to be properly restrained with anti-tip brackets, may not be meeting required clearances from combustibles adjacent or above. Side wall and short wall to right suggest may be a boxed in location or an exit pathway, wonder about oven/broiler/warming or storage/drawer opening clearances obstructiong exit pathways. Never know without checking if appliance is listed to be atop a combustible floor or if leveling "feet"/"legs" have been improperly removed, doesn't "appear" to be a slide-in. Don't see cabinets or area above - don't know if those are the cabinets of concern. Can't tell if kitchen/range area is an enclosed alcove, always on the lookout safetywise with gas cooking appliances regarding venting, exhasuting, MUA, clean combustion, not adversly effecting health of occupants, etc. even if codes and/or manufacturer cross references to ANSI standards, don't expressly require.If reference the lower cabinet to the far left, appears narrow, and doesn't appear to encroach any visible opening, pathway or otherwise obstruct the photographed sidewall - see no openings adjacent that could interfere with.If concerned about using the drawer handle hardware as ladder for children to get access that might be worthy of an FYI verbal mention, not necessarily a safety notice, warning or danger, as heck, without some sort of locking and/interlocking drawer mechanism, a child could use the drawer boxes themselves as a stair.If concerned about how "proud" they (cabinet/drawer handle hardware and/or face of drawers/cabinet doors) are vs. countertop overhang, or the catchment potential against clothing, etc. with non-returned ends (not unlike hand-rail returns) not so concerned - as this has been the case with many handle hardware and has (AFAIK) not been a reported, investigated, reviewed, causal, anecdotal, or otherwise explored "safety issue". Countertop material "overhang" to face of cabinets is more a design recommendation/protection-preservation of cabinet fronts from drips, etc. issue not a safety issue.

Watson,

I'd be willing to bet your hell to live with.

rick

Daniel,

As Jack Feldman would say, Look for bigger game!

The other day it was "sticks in an attic", today its hardware.

rick

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    ...... or the catchment potential against clothing ......

This is my safety concern! Defect is defect, no big or small.

When I work in the laboratory, I never saw the bar pull, they only use the hidden handle, D pull or bar pull with square ends. I believe it is for safety purpose.

Please image if your love one is cooking in the kitchen or holding boiling water and turn around, but his/her pants, apron and bathrobe is catch on the drawer handles. Then what is next....

During home inspection, the pocket on my pants was hang on the ends of these "Bar Pull" for couple times. More, when I picked up my camera from the countertop. Two cameras were damaged by dropped on the kitchen floor due to the neck strap caught on the bar pulls.

This is a joke, right?

Ralph Smith Guest

To heck with the 2 cameras, did you get a stiff neck or bump your head when the straps got caught?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    More concerned about the gas range (or is it dual fuel, electric below?) installation. Appears out of level and too proud from countertops & cabinets faces to be properly restrained with anti-tip brackets, may not be meeting required clearances from combustibles adjacent or above.
    That looks like the range I own and if so, it is a dual fuel slider and there are two anti-tip options, one of which is concealed at the rear of the range. It does sit a little proud of the countertops by design I think - the top bezel sits on the counters with a recess in the plastic housing the controls snugging up to the edge of the countertop.

Ricky Wells Guest

Hey Daniel,

Purely Cosmetic.........Its one persons preference over another......no defect in my book and I wouldnt dare write it up in one of my reports.

I can almost gurantee if you write that up, referrals will be hard to get from either agent involved on the buyers or sellers side.

Good Luck to you

Oh, and I have those cabinet pulls as well. They're always snagging on something and the 5yo thinks they're ladder rungs but who cares really?

Edward Olsoe Guest

I have the kind of handles shown in the photo on the left in my kitchen, and yes, they can be a hazard of sorts. I have one sweater that is always catching on the top row of handles if I lean over the counter and threatens to rip the sweater or grab and prevent me from passing/moving. If I am making good headway, I almost tumble, but I haven't yet. More than falling, I worry about ruining some nice garment.
    For the guy up in B.C. that was squaking about the price of the the stainless steel handles, buck up. Nice stuff, like solid stainless steel, isn't cheap. I'm glad you were able to find an inexpensive alternative. Hopefully the appearance of your kitchen wasn't compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Olsoe View Post
    Hopefully the appearance of your kitchen wasn't compromised.
    Not a bit. I hate those handles.

BTW, brushed steel looks just like stainless. Better check yours with a magnet.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    BTW, brushed steel looks just like stainless. Better check yours with a magnet.

A magnet will not tell you anything ... most stainless steel is still magnetic - you would need to specify non-magnetic stainless steel to get that type, and it cost a lot more too ...

I believe it is also referred to a 'marine grade' stainless steel as well as non-magnetic stainless steel.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

jimsonburg Guest

Soft-close drawers and cupboard doors are a lot safer

I am ridiculous with detail but this is a ridiculous thread.
    Drawer handles? really?

Yes I have caught my camera straps on those things

Hi, ALL &

Ahhhhh - So that's how the 'Naked Chef' came to be !

Got fed-up catching clothing on drawer & door pulls...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI