Rick Burkman Guest

Default Chains in the Attic

Does anyone know why these chains are found throughout this attic? They are attached to both the rafter above and the joist below. This is a modular home, so I was wondering if these were used in transport and never removed? Chains in the attic can be so many things....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Chains in the Attic

My guess would be leftovers from the roof being lifted into place on a crane.......or the couple that lives there is really weird.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

With there spacing, locations, and lack of collar ties, I would have to guess they are to preevent wind lift off.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I would suspect the chain have little to do with wind uplift - the chains are not tight, and if the roof lifted enough to pull the chains tight ... you'd be SOL by then!

On another point altogether, though, I suspect that insulation is a problem as it likely has a paper facing and it is installed perpendicular across the trusses/rafters/joists instead of parallel with them. That means the paper facing is left exposed and not in the required substantial contact with the ceiling below - think fire spreading through that attic VERY QUICKLY.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"I suspect that insulation is a problem as it likely has a paper facing and it is installed perpendicular across the trusses/rafters/joists instead of parallel with them. That means the paper facing is left exposed and not in the required substantial contact with the ceiling below"

Maybe it's unfaced.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "I suspect that insulation is a problem as it likely has a paper facing and it is installed perpendicular across the trusses/rafters/joists instead of parallel with them. That means the paper facing is left exposed and not in the required substantial contact with the ceiling below"

Maybe it's unfaced.
    "Maybe it's unfaced."

Which is why I said "I suspect ... "

(yes, I know, and why you said "Maybe ... "

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    I don't know what the chains are for but that is very weird roof framing!
    Being a modular, I suspect that is where two halves join. I still think the chains have to do with lift off. As Jerry said the chains are loose, but application does not always follow intent.

Those are light gauge chain for lifting, and any lifting of trusses I have seen always used nylon lifting straps.

Secondly the chains are attached to the trusses, again lift trusses does not require attachment of a chain.

The chain looks like dog chain, very light.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Those are light gauge chain for lifting, and any lifting of trusses I have seen always used nylon lifting straps.

Secondly the chains are attached to the trusses, again lift trusses does not require attachment of a chain.

The chain looks like dog chain, very light.
    Doesn't look like a truss system to me.

I was refering to wind lift off.

Phil Brody Guest

If it is over a break it could be where they cum-along the two halves together. There I said it.

Philip Guest

Maybe it was a grow attic and those chains were for hanging lights. Where are the RCMP when you need them.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Nothing unusual in framing for PREFAB sections of 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond. Nothing unusual for flight guide/guy (not carrying support) or tarping chains to be left behind, even when temp support for open end during transport is knocked out. Chain installed after the fact in a any storage or attic space and/or left behind can be for hundreds if not thousands of reasons, none of which are "weird". Sometimes left or installed to demark zone intollerable for any storage or additonal loading, but remain accessible for inspection, maintenance or repair (non-flamable). Nothing about subsequent perp layer of unfaced pink insulation over bottom chords or framing members along "floor" of attic cavity not unusual either.

The uninstalled bundle of foam panels is unusual, and questionable to be uncovered and stored in this space. Rated insualtion? Flame spread/noxious smoke factor - and uninstalled.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-17-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

On another point altogether, though, I suspect that insulation is a problem as it likely has a paper facing and it is installed perpendicular across the trusses/rafters/joists instead of parallel with them. That means the paper facing is left exposed and not in the required substantial contact with the ceiling below - think fire spreading through that attic VERY QUICKLY.
    The Batts are UNFACED! You can tell because the batts are "Striped".
    the Striping is used as a code for "UnFaced batts" to label R-Value.
    Here is a link http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/Co...res18.pdf?ga=t It shows the codes used by the manufacturers, they are not completely standardized, so this is a good reference to carry with you when you need to report an R-Value in your report. John-Manville actually prints the R-Value on the batt. Another thing to remember is that these stripes are normally only printed on one side.

Art Dotson Guest

Thumbs up Re: Chains in the Attic

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Brody View Post
    If it is over a break it could be where they cum-along the two halves together. There I said it.
    Rick, I agree with Phil Brody. The framing looks like it was done in a controlled enviornment like you would see in modular contstruction. I suspect the chains were used to draw the roof and ceiling lines together for bolting the sections together during placement.

Art Dotson
    Construction Code Services, LLC
    permitexpeditors.com

Hurrican ties no doubt about it. They don't need to be tight nor should they since the roof needs to flex some.

C.Johnson Guest

Those chains are for wind uplift during transport..Each half brought in on trailors, they are to keep the roof from blowing off going down the freeway that is all, not uncommon to seen them left in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    The Batts are UNFACED! You can tell because the batts are "Striped".
    the Striping is used as a code for "UnFaced batts" to label R-Value.
    Here is a link http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/Co...res18.pdf?ga=t It shows the codes used by the manufacturers, they are not completely standardized, so this is a good reference to carry with you when you need to report an R-Value in your report. John-Manville actually prints the R-Value on the batt. Another thing to remember is that these stripes are normally only printed on one side.

Interesting and useful information, and something I did not know, however, ...

Maybe it is my eyes, but I only see "stripes" on 'that one batt', and those "stripes" look like residue from framing work above, like when sawdust and roofing material debris falls through the spaces in the sheathing. May just be me and my eyes, but that is what it looks like to me, even zoomed in.

If you've ever used in infrared camera to look at a ceiling to find missing insulation, and then go in the attic to see what is what, you may find that it 'looks okay' in the attic, but that one loose fitting piece allows cold or hot air to get under all the batts which are not in contact with the ceiling and virtually defeats the usefulness of the insulation.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Post Re: Chains in the Attic

To me, the chain looks like light-weight chain that has nothing to do with the construction. It could have been used to hang any number of things in the attic, from antennas to lamps or duct work. Who knows, may be some one installed them to hang a work lamp from.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Interesting and useful information, and something I did not know, however, ...

Maybe it is my eyes, but I only see "stripes" on 'that one batt', and those "stripes" look like residue from framing work above, like when sawdust and roofing material debris falls through the spaces in the sheathing. May just be me and my eyes, but that is what it looks like to me, even zoomed in.
    No they are what Larry said, stripes painted on. I always have thought they were guidelines for easier cutting, thanks for that. We see stripes on batts a lot here, and they are just on one side of the batt. Vapour barrier is always polyethylene and paper backing on insulation batts is only on the old stuff.

BTW, that pile of foam insulation is attached to the attic hatch, which is open in the pic.

I agree with Ray and a few others about those chains. I would not trust them or the single nail in a rafter to hold the roof down for long. They may have been used to guide the roof sections into place, something for the guys to grab onto.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

vincent hwu Guest

yeah hold for insulation see they used metal string instead to save maybe

Hi, ALL &

Hmmmmm - Let's see:

- 'S & M' ?

- Wierd antics ?

- Some other wild activity between willing /unwilling couples...

Makes one wonder, all right !

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI