Default Screen porch ceiling - soffit material - wind resistance

House built in Kissimmee, Fl in 2005 - back screen porch ceiling material was basically aluminum soffit material. No manufacturer labeling was visible. I am wondering if this material and installation would meet wind resistance standards. Photos are from beneath and as viewed from attic area (porch ceiling opens up to attic and truss area of the building envelope - so attic photos are taken from above living area).

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Screen porch ceiling - soffit material - wind resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Barnicle View Post
    I am wondering if this material and installation would meet wind resistance standards.

Maybe ... maybe not.

Depends on the material (thickness) and the installation (number, size, style, location, etc.) of the anchors (fasteners) securing it in place.

You would need to know the brand and type and then look up the Florida Product Approval information on it.

My intuition (i.e., "gut feeling") is that it would not meet the wind load requirements, but the real answer is "maybe, it depends" ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Phil Brody Guest

Why is that is not nearly analogous to an open garage door in the event of a storm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Brody View Post
    Why is that is not nearly analogous to an open garage door in the event of a storm ?

Who said it wasn't?

That soffit material is one sure way to pressurize the underside of the roof sheathing ... which is exactly the opposite of what is needed and required.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Phil Brody Guest

Being that it is located in Kismee, how could this ever fly, or more aptly how could it not.