Thread: Rusty valley

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Rusty valley

What are your thoughts on this valley. Only slightly rusted, but replacement was recommneded by the roofing contractor. I simply mentioned it, but now I am inept

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Rusty valley

Photo is insufficient to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Only slightly rusted, but replacement was recommneded by the roofing contractor.
    I can see brighter red rust spots indicating that the valley is rusting through, or already has begun to rust through.

Thus that valley needs to be replaced.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Matthew can you post some shingle pics? If that valley was originally galvanized, it is pretty old. The roofing contractor is going to be replacing shingles as well if he plans to change the valley metal. He is pushing for a full reroof, no doubt.

Old cedar shingle or shake roofs are nasty things to inspect. I don't walk them because the shingles are generally pretty slimy where I live but also will split if you step on them, doing more damage than good. I check for split or rotted shingles from the ladder and will usually find some on any roof over 15 years old.

So there may be more to this than just the rust in the valley, which Jerry pointed out, is in an advanced stage.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

mathew stouffer Guest

Roof is 15 years old, and in ok condition.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks. I think those are resaws, shakes that have one sawn side. In pic 1 and 2 there are shakes laid with the sawn side up, wrong but it's too late to squawk now. In pics 2 and 3 there are splits which line up with gaps between the courses above and below. Potential leaks. But I agree, from where I sit, that roof looks OK. Bad splits can be patched by sliding in metal shims if the rest of the roof is good.

I may have called for painting the valley to prolong its life. It is hard to tell from the pic, but I think it may be salvageable, and if so would save the owner a whack of $. It depends on the guage of the metal.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Mathew, Whenever I inspect this type of roof I look for felt interlayment between courses. I almost never see it. Since I can't walk on them I find some defect and recommend that a "Qualified" roofing contractor evaluate and repair as necessary. I also recommend that they be treated to prevent drying out and fire resistance.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks. The shakes are not an issue. Inspect them all the time. Just thought is was curious the roofer recommended replacement of the valley with such minimal rusting.

Hi, ALL &

Matthew - That Roof is 'going'...

I'd immediately call-out /recommend a full "tune-up" (metal-shim all critical splits, replace ridge-caps & spot-replace as needed, with a full walk-over [and careful checks on that & all other valleys as to replacement potential], any deteriorated shakes which are inferior to their neighbuors), to make this last what would be normally be expected.

Otherwise, it will be too late & only full early replacement would be an option - against leaks to the interior.

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI