Liju Paul Guest

Default Stain on Siding-Under Windows

I have replaced my siding 4 years ago and this year I have started noticing stains underneath the windows on the siding. This appears only where the rain is directly coming down (north east facing) and I have 3 windows on the second level and all of them got noticable stains. 3 windows on the lower level on the same side don't have that much visible, but it is still there. I have no idea what those are. Some people were saying it is the dirt from the windows, but I am little worried and sending some snaps. Can someone help me on this? I want to know whether this is just on the surface? Is this because of a low standard clauk? I would appreciate any help and advice on this. See the attached pictures. I tried to take snaps of different windows with close up and distant views.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105010890762714011153&target=ALBUM&id =5519194107825941169&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ76-eDdxanVlAE&invite=CI-phPwK&feat=email

Thanks
    Paul

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Stain on Siding-Under Windows

The stains are in the "high traffic" area for water being shed from the windows so it's likely dirt from the windows and/or mold growing in areas where there's more water, more often. One thing that might shed some light is if the stains are in areas of higher sun exposure (south and west sides) they're more likely to be dirt since usually mold won't grow as much in the sun.

In either case I don't think you have much or a problem. A properly installed vinyl siding system (or any siding system for that matter) isn't reliant on caulking to keep most water out.

You don't mention it so I'm assuming there's no problem but what does the interior look like around the windows?

Liju Paul Guest

Thanks Matt. Intresting thing is that, I am not seeing this in any other houses in our neighborhood. If it is the dirt, why am i not seeing it on any other houses. When you say, interior, as you asking whether the inside of the window or inside of siding? I didn't open the siding to look at behind the siding. Do I have to do it? This is what I was worried about - to see whether there are any water damage behind the siding. I have cleaned all the windows last month. Next I am planning to clean up the siding. Are there any good solutions to clean up the siding? Thanks for the help.

Maybe they wash their houses

I'm mainly talking about interior surfaces where water shouldn't be getting - trim, sheetrock,etc. Don't worry about water in the lower track... that's normal.

Liju Paul Guest

I didn't notice anything internal (like in Sheetrock,trim etc). What should I do in this case? Just clean it? What is the best option for cleaning this stain?

I'd just clean it with some Simple Green or even just dish detergent. It usually doesn't take too much effort.

Yup, looks like drainage from the weep holes in window assembly's integral pan:

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Bruce Hutton Guest

I would suggest checking the grade as well...Water trapped along foundations will wick up the siding causing algae staining etc.
    Especially along the north / east sides...The dark areas.

During rainfall check to see if there are drips on the underside of the guttering. It may be that (rain) water flow off the roof is running between the gutter and fascia - as evidence by the drips - and that water is wind-driven back onto the windows as it falls to the ground. Even so that would not necessarily indicate moisture penetration around the window itself, just additional and dirtier water onto the glass which is then shed onto the siding via weep-holes in a typical manner. Also make sure the gutter itself is not clogged allowing rainwater to overflow.

There are several cleaners on the market, from bleach to specific vinyl cleaners that will remove the streaking. Simple Green, Softscrub, TSP may do the trick. If you have an RV/Camping store nearby - such as Camping World - they sell several cleaners for removing black streaking from RVs.

Looks like normal staining from water drainage. Every rain drop has a speck of dirt in it, polluted air can also 'dirty' the siding, stick to wet drainage areas. Not to worry, power wash the siding. Curt Licensed HIC CT

Bat poo behind the shutters?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

It's dirt/soot in the air and concentrated where water shed the strongest as previously posted. Exhaust from vehicles is a big culprit. Ride in traffic on a motorcycle all day and then wipe your face with a white cloth and see what I am talking about.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com