Default Is this a carbon monoxide detector

Yesterday I inspected a 5300 sq. ft. house with assorted security system devices and other atypical components, for my market anyway.

Not that carbon monoxide detectors are atypical but I don't see them very often and couldn't readily confirm that indeed the white device in the photo was a carbon monoxide detector and not something else associated with the security system.

Can someone please confirm that this is a carbon monoxide detector?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Is this a carbon monoxide detector

It looks like a smoke or heat detector to me. About all you can do is take it down and get the model # if the label does not identify it's purpose.

If either were a carbon monoxide detector they would say so on the cover of the unit.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

The lower one appears to be a smoke or heat sensor that is tied into an alarm system.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

Don Burbach Guest

Most likely a smoke detector or heat sensor tied to an alarm system.

Be careful! I test the usual audio only smoke detectors using an aerosol smoke gas, but do not spray near or touch detectors that look like they may be part of an alarm system. Alarm system smoke detectors look more industrial and usually there is only one in a hallway, and is frequently next to the original detector on the ceiling. I do not want bring the local fire department or have the alarm company monitor get an alarm message.

I specifically explain that an inspection of the alarm system is beyond the scope of a home inspection and suggest that the alarm company inspect their system. It is likely that a REO or short sale house is not covered by an alarm service(nobody's paying the bill!), or we don't have enough info to satisfy the alarm monitor like the code, security phrase, etc.

I just don't want to deal with an screeching alarm that annoys an agent or client.

Why is everyone always mentioning the fear of annoying a realtor?

Do you really know who your client is?

rick

jimsonburg Guest

It looks like supervised carbon monoxide detector (Linear DXS-80 Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector) with built-in transmitter, It is supervised for low battery and sends hourly status signals.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsonburg View Post
    It looks like supervised carbon monoxide detector (Linear DXS-80 Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector) with built-in transmitter, It is supervised for low battery and sends hourly status signals.
    Thanks for the specific reference...it does look very close to the DXS-80

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    It looks like a smoke or heat detector to me. About all you can do is take it down and get the model # if the label does not identify it's purpose.
    My inspections take way too long as it is primarily because my curiosity has me exploring things beyond the SOP's....but I draw a limit at taking down plastic devices with flimsy breakable tabs...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    If either were a carbon monoxide detector they would say so on the cover of the unit.
    This would be great...is it an industry standard or you're experience with some number of devices ?

Frank Kurz Guest

This is an Ademco 5806W3 wireless smoke detector. Here's a link to the Honeywell site. 5806W3 - Honeywell Security & Communications

The AC smoke alarm located adjacent to it is required to be installed by code. Most security installers won't touch them which is why you wind up with two detectors on the ceiling in many homes with security systems.

Thank you for the link Frank.