Thread: Deck Attachment

Default Deck Attachment

I've not seen this before. New construction with the deck joist hangared to the rim joist, and brick veneered over the top of everything. AHJ approved the framing but don't know what he was thinking with the gapping holes to let water into the wall cavity.

Most of the attachments I see to brick veneer are with a ledger board and bolts. I know that the "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" states that ledger attachments to exterior veneers are prohibited, but I do see many that have the AHJs blessing.

The biggest problem I see with this one is how to keep the water out of the wall cavity. Do I recommend sealing with silicone, which will fail over time, or flashing, which looks like it could take a lot of imagination?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Deck Attachment

I would not design the fix.

Yes, flashing is what will be needed. Each "pocket" will need to have flashing, but you also do not know how those joist are secured. I'm assuming you can not see their ends?

It is a total mess. I might say something along the lines "The deck has an unconventional design and unconventional things tend to perform in unconventional ways. In my opinion the lack of proper flashing will eventually allow water to enter the wall structure. I found no flashing and flashing is required to keep the water out."

Silicone or other sealants will only make it worse.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: Deck Attachment

Thanks Scott. I try not to get into repair design but the first thing asked is "well how would they fix it?" . I like to have several options ending with, "but thats up to the contractor".

I like your statement and will use it. (probably leave out the total mess part so I don't get sued)

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.