Default converted fireplace

hey all

1993 house in colorado, this is the year most of the denver area told builders no more wood fireplaces, gas installed. so past owner probable converted

my fireplace tech is out of town so need help.

as you can see from pictures, gas modified fireplace, brick and tile flue, missing rain cap and spark arrestor.

should there be a glass or screen cover on this baby.

new buyer has adult children, so not afraid of harm to little ones, but i suggested a screen or portable glass door.
    question is is there a code on this.

that is sun glare from window on brick and in fireplace

thanks

cvf

thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: converted fireplace

fritz

clamp on the damper??

forgot to say damper was altered and did not close. it was wide open to flue.

cvf

Thumbs up Re: converted fireplace

I would recommend glass doors to reduce conditioned air loss...if...there is a clamp on the damper that prevents full closure as required with a standing pilot.
    Also a rain/screened cap is needed to reduce damper from corroding and letting mama raccoon from having litters inside. Or birds, Or bats.

Here in Indiana we have barn swallows that are protected under endangered species that build nests about half way down the flue and Indiana brown bats that are also protected. We have to wait until they abandon their nest before they can use it.

Cool Re: converted fireplace

ANSI Z21.60 requires the damper be fixed to maintain a minimum permanent net free opening of X amt. based upon the mfrs. specifications and the input BTU firing rate as stated in the code. How you achieve this is actually up to you. You can remove the damper entirely, tie the handle with wire, weld it (Mass) or use one of those clamps provided by the gas log mfr. The clamp must be located so when the damper is attempted to close, it still maintains that specified min. perm. net free opening. That means attaching it to the edge of most dampers is incorrect. I put them on the handle with the damper wide open.
    ANSI also requires some sort of screen or doors. You could use mesh curtains, screen cabinet style doors or even glass doors.
    All chimneys *should* have caps that minimize rain and animal intrusion and be stainless steel or copper. The codes don't require caps except on chimney liners and factory built fireplaces. I unplug a lot of heater flues that have a 5 foot plug of animal nesting in them.
    The gas logset should have an attached rating plate identifying the mfr. model, serial #, input BTU rate, fuel, orifice, and operating instructions as well as a listing mark from an approved testing lab. If you don't find this info. I would recommend removal.
    The fireplace and chimney should have a Level II inspection. They must be suitable for continued use burning wood in order to be acceptable for use with vented gas logs.
    All the other requirements still apply such as approved gas shutoff and makeup air.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.