Default Re: Guttering Requirement?

Rick,

I hope this helps. (I didn't read much of it):
    Gutters missing on house - FHA violation?- FHA/HUD and VA - Appraisers Forum

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Anyone know if guttering is required by FHA standards?

rick
    Unfortunately gutters are not required anywhere that I know. I write gutters up on every home I inspect whether it be and FHA loan, conventional loan, VA loan etc there has never been a come back from anyone about gutters ever.

I tell every client that they need full gutters to prevent splash back to the home, wash out next to the home, proper foundation health etc etc etc etc. I also tell them that they are not getting gutters from most builders unless they pay extra for them with the exception of a couple of builders. I just did a VA loan Yesterday and an FHA the day before. Both written up and nothing back from VA or FHA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Unfortunately gutters are not required anywhere that I know.
    Here's at least one (possible) place-

NJR801.3 Roof Drainage- In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet from the foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Gutters are not required by HUD/FHA or the IRC. They are a nice feature but I know of no requirement for them. It could be that some local or state codes might require them, but nothing on a national level.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Linda Swearingen Guest

HUD at least used to require gutters; their 4910.1, "Minimum Property Standards for Housing" addresses gutters in sect. 607-3.1. It says gutters are required if either 1) the soil is such that excessive erosion or expansion will occur or 2) if the structure has overhangs less than 12" for a 1-story or 24" for a 2-story building. (There are some other details in there, too.) This is a 1994 document, and I'm not clear on whether they are still actively enforcing this.

Edward Loughran Guest

2006 IRC, R801.3 Roof Drainage

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Loughran View Post
    2006 IRC, R801.3 Roof Drainage
    Works only in areas with poor soil(clay)....
    R801.3 Roof drainage. In areas where expansive or collapsible
    soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled
    method of water disposal from roofs that will collect
    and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet
    (1524 mm) from foundation walls or to an approved drainage
    system.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

That does not hold up anywhere. I do not think in the three states I have inspected in and other states I have built in that anyone abides by those standards.

On the other hand I mentioned a home I inspected on Wednesday that should have full gutters (I recommend every home have full gutters) and I also wrote of some very slight movement noted in the left rear of the foundation. This was a VA loan. The VA mentioned nothing about the home having no gutters but because of the slight settlement I wrote up they wanted an engineers report.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 09-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.

system.

The reason for my original question is the above comment has been on every Structural Engineer report I have just about seen in the last 6 months to a year here in my area where we have expansive soils.

My concern is that by not recommending guttering on our reports that I may be writing out a check for them someday.

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 09-25-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    system.

The reason for my original question is the above comment has been on every Structural Engineer report I have just about seen in the last 6 months to a year here in my area where we have expansive soils.

My concern is that by not recommending guttering on our reports that I may be writing out a check for them someday.

rick
    I have been recommending full gutters forever. Every home should have them and all need them. No matter what the soil conditions are they help every home in many ways. I think it foolish for builders to not have them standard on every home built. What would it be on a 30 mortgage. A few bucks a month for a life time of very few concerns as apposed to not having them.

When I drive up to a home and I see no gutters I always know immediately that there are going to be at the minimum a few more pictures and writes ups at the very least.