Default Dell Axim - dryout proceedures?

I dunked my Dell Axim pocket PC in a bathtub a few days ago. Does anyone have any experience drying one of these out?
    I am trying the low-tech approach of leaving the battery out and covers open in a warm window seat for some gentle heat right now, but so far it is not working right. I am in the market if someone has an Axim, Ipaq, or palm that hasn't taken a plunge!
    Jim

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Dell Axim - dryout proceedures?

Jim,

Must be a local problem with technology.

My hard drive crashed on may lap-top last Friday.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

Richard Rushing Guest

I once dropped my Moisture Encounter Plus in the pool I was leaning over... the worst thing wan't loosing the MM-- that sucker didn't register the amount of moisture!!

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I dunked my Dell Axim pocket PC in a bathtub a few days ago. Does anyone have any experience drying one of these out?
    I am trying the low-tech approach of leaving the battery out and covers open in a warm window seat for some gentle heat right now, but so far it is not working right. I am in the market if someone has an Axim, Ipaq, or palm that hasn't taken a plunge!
    Jim
    You could try what I did this past December to my Axim. I tumbled it in the dryer for about twenty minutes on med heat! It was in the pocket of my polartec jacket and the cat was sleeping on it. So to remove the cat hair I tossed the jacked and unknowingly the Axim in the dryer!

Twenty minutes later and I pulled the jacket out and the PDA. I found it in the pocket, turned it on and it still worked!

As for water, my guess is that it is toast.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

HAir Dryer. has saved many an electronic gizmo

If this does,'t work, add some stir fry. Let me know.

How to clean up water-damaged electronics: the rice bowl - Engadget

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

I am about to give up on my Dell Axim, I have tried the blow dryer, disassembly, canned air, charging, and I may store it in some rice.
    But for now, I need something to work with.
    Has anyone had any experience with HP Ipaq and more specifically, the iPAQ rx5915 Travel Companion. After shopping around I see I can buy this one with GPS for about $200 more than a standard dell or palm unit.
    I don't have and don't think I need a GPS, but maybe it would be worth while.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

I would recommend shopping for a unit on eBay. Just now looked and saw 64mb units going for under $200. I have bought 3 iPaqs off of eBay and never paid more than $150. I always have one in reserve for just those unfortunate events,

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

When my wife dropped her phone in water a while back, the guy at the Verizon store put it in a beaker of alcohol and said it MIGHT work. I guess the idea is the alcohol displaces the water, and then evaporates. He said it works about half the time. Her phone worked about a day, then she got a new one.

I use a protective box for my Axim. Got it at Otterbox at OtterBox.com: Otterbox, Waterproof Boxes, Waterproof Box, Waterproof Plastic Boxes, Waterproof iPod Cases. Hangs around my neck and OK to use in the rain, or dropping into water. Of course, since it is around my neck all the time, it doesn't fall much.

Sorry for your loss
    JF

I once washed and dried a camera memory stick with photos on it.... I put in in the computer really just to amuse myself to see what was left.... I couldn't believe it was still intact with all of the photos. I have no idea how it handles the water and then the heat.... crazy.

I spend a lot of time on the river in the summer. One thing leads to another and people end up in the river with cell phones on. We have had quite a bit of luck putting the phones in the oven on low setting with the door open to dry them out---- may work on other electronics as well. Just remember to pull it out once in a while so it does not get too hot--- I have melted some plastic before while side tracked.