Default NEC code question

I was just a little confused on a NEC code.
    Does this section say that a receptacle cant be less than 6 feet and no more than 20 feet from the pools edge?
    Also, what does “serving the pool” refer to?
    680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
    (3) Dwelling Unit(s). Where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit(s), no fewer than one 125-volt, 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.
    In advance, please forgive my ignorance.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: NEC code question

I did not read your question in detail, please forgive my laziness but it has been a long day; I think you have it correct though. Basically you want a GFCI protected outlet to serve the pool area but not TOO close to the water. You DON'T want someone stretching an extension cord from the living room to power the boom box next to the pool. Make sense?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Got it, thanks Jim.

Christel Hunter Guest

"Serving the pool" just means the level of the ground or surface right outside the pool (as opposed to the level of surface inside the pool).

It's a bit more complicated than a "6/20" simple rule:

- NEC Requirements for Installing Pools and Spas, Part 2 of 3

Except that:

- Navigating the NEC's Rules for Bodies of Water

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

If I am reading this correctly, if the pool is located within 10 feet from the building the receptacle must be no less than 5" and GFI. Any "other" type arrangment, the receptacle must be a minimum 6' and a max 20' from the pools edge, and GFI.

Any other receptacles must be at least 6 ft from the inside walls of the pool [680.22(A)(2)].
    At least one 15A or 20A, 125V receptacle is required to be located between 6 ft and 20 ft from the inside walls of a permanently installed pool at a dwelling unit with a maximum height of not more than 6½ ft above the grade or floor [680.22(A)(3)] ( Fig. 1 on page 28).

Last edited by Marc M; 09-24-2010 at 07:40 AM.

This part was in the 2005 NEC, it is no longer in the 2008 NEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Except that:

- 680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
    - - (A) Receptacles.
    - - - (1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool, or not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from the inside walls of the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
    - - - - (1) Consist of single receptacles
    - - - - (2) Employ a locking configuration
    - - - - (3) Are of the grounding type
    - - - - (4) Have GFCI protection
    - - - (2) Other Receptacles, Location. Other receptacles shall be not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from the inside walls of a pool.
    - - - (3) Dwelling Unit(s). Where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit(s), no fewer than one 125-volt, 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.
    - - - (4) GFCI Protection. All 15- and 20-ampere, single-phase, 125-volt receptacles located within 6.0 m (20 ft) of the inside walls of a pool shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
    - - - (5) Measurements. In determining the dimensions in this section addressing receptacle spacings, the distance to be measured shall be the shortest path the supply cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, doorway with hinged or sliding door, window opening, or other effective permanent barrier.

The removal of that section was partially based on the same theory that removed the exception from GFCI protection from receptacles over 6'8" high in garages: why should tall people NOT be protected to the same extent that short people are? Why should people who own houses on small lots not have the same level of protection as people who own larger lots?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Got it, thanks.

Alexei Chaviano Guest

Marc all what Jerry answer to you is correct I just want to add an exxeption and that is when the receptacle is in a structure with in 6' to 20'
    Illustration for 680.22(A)(2)

Receptacles located within a structure are not subject to the 6-foot distance requirement of 680.22(A)(2).

Also let me upgrade once of picture that some one used to answer your cuestion hire,sorry I just dont remember his name...
    Illustration for 680.22(A)(3)

The illustration shows the 15 or 20 ampere receptacle required by 680.22(A)(3), in the rear; in the front, the single receptacle required by 680.22(A)(1) for the water pump system is shown.

Staff Note for 680.22(A)(3)

The requirement in 680.22(A)(3) for at least one receptacle between 6 and 20 feet from a permanent pool at a dwelling unit is meant to provide power for an appliance (radio, TV, etc.) near a pool, but not close enough (6 feet) for an appliance to be able to fall into the pool while plugged in.

And this too.
    Illustration for 680.22(A)(5)

This illustration shows some of the approved receptacle locations permitted by 680.22(A)(5). Although they are less than 6 feet from the pool, the indoor receptacles cannot be reached by a cord less than 6 feet long.

This are some of the source that help me and I want to shere with you my collegues.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I was just a little confused on a NEC code.
    Does this section say that a receptacle cant be less than 6 feet and no more than 20 feet from the pools edge?
    Also, what does “serving the pool” refer to?
    680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
    (3) Dwelling Unit(s). Where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit(s), no fewer than one 125-volt, 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.
    In advance, please forgive my ignorance.
    Marc....these requirements changed in the 2008 code. If you are inspecting a pool built under a code other than the 2008 code you need to make sure you get a copy of the earlier code for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Marc....these requirements changed in the 2008 code. If you are inspecting a pool built under a code other than the 2008 code you need to make sure you get a copy of the earlier code for reference.
    Thanks JD, will do...