Default New chimney cap design

From the street, I saw a chimney with a nice big cap. It rains a lot here, so it's a good idea to have a cap, especially for fireplaces with metal liners.

But I see I need to specify that they not be built of plywood and asphalt shingles.
    Soot all over the bottom of it. Some people just aren't suited for home ownership, eh?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: New chimney cap design

You want a rain cap installed? That will be $200.00, cash please!!

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

So what is wrong with recycling and darwinian law? It's a two fer! Heck three fer- Fire Dept. Training!

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

David Bell Guest

The benefit is, all the heat from the fireplace stays in the home! Which should give the M.E. some nice warm bodies to work on.

Hi, ALL &

Wow, John, that's a BEAUTY !

That should last a lifetime - unless it burns-thru /detaches...

If I were a neighbour, I'd be more than a bit worried about 'unidentified flying objects'. That's exactly why they are normally pre-cast concrete or some other form of 'masonary' !

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Looks more like a plug. I once made a plywood plug with Styrofoam attached to the bottom and inserted it into the chimney flue at roof level as added insulation against heat loss during the winter. Come summer, I'd take it out, of course. Wasn't near as ugly as this example though!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

chuck altvater Guest

These types of "dampers" are very common in Georgia, especially on old farm houses.

The homeowner will put the "Damper" on the top of the flue at the end of the burning season to seal it to prevent water entry form the summer rains and prevent down-drafts and the accompanying smell through out the summer. They then climb back up in the Autumn and remove the "Damper" so they can use the fireplace in the winter.

I have a hard time convincing people who use these dampers to replace them with a real top damper, but as they get older, climbing up to the chimney top gets harder every year...

Oh yeah, that wash needs a some restoration as well.

John finds all the fun ones here! . lol. good it wasn't raining that day when he climbed up and took the pic's. the only other question I have was the current home owner the installer and was the chimmy in current use? as a short term cap ya it works on a non venting flue. but still for the money and reality a proper cap is strongly advised