Default Reclaimed barn siding

Inspected an 'interesting' house today, built by an architect.
    The exterior siding is reclaimed old barn wood and rough-cut lumber. Looks kinda pretty if you're into living in an old barn I suppose.

Build in 2008. Construction looks like OSB sheathing, roofing felt, and nailed planks. Gaps between boards not sealed, no flashing on the top edges of planks, some boards are bowed, cupping and twisted, some planks pulling away from the structure, exposed roofing felt everywhere - well you get the idea.

What sort of comments would you make in your inspection report (other than what I have already said, and probably will say in my report).

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Reclaimed barn siding

It looks like the same situation as a wood shake roof. The waterproofing is being done by the tar paper and not the wood siding. Did you notice the weight of the roof felt? That would make a difference.

I couldn't tell you what weight it was. It felt like a fairly standard weight tar paper, but wasn't very hard to tear.

However, either way, I would hesitate to compare it to a wood shake roof. Yes, when done properly roofing felt is layered between courses of shakes, and should have another fully layer under the shakes. But with a shake roof, you still should have overlapping shakes covering the felt. If I saw roofing felt exposed by 1-inch wide gaps between shakes, I would call out the roof as needing repair.

I see this siding on barns, but I don't treat barns the same way I treat someone's house. I assume this sort of siding has been tried in other parts of the country, and I was curious what the reaction was.

James Duffin Guest

I don't think there is a code that says tar paper can not be left exposed on a vertical surface. Could be wrong but I can't find one. Maybe someone else can. Maybe in the manufactures installation instructions?

chris mcintyre Guest

Looks like they forgot the battens.

I think the lack of flashing at the horizontal transitions would be enough to recommend a siding contractor take a look (but I'm not a HI). I'm guessing the windows are not sealed/flashed properly also.

JD, just curious, why would 15 vs 30 lb felt matter?

James Duffin Guest

I was thinking more of 90# when I first posted.

No, it certainly was not 90#.
    Yes, flashing is a concern as well of course, but I suspect they figured the roofing felt would also accomplish that.

I have cedar channel siding on my own house and have always used screws as fasteners when doing repair/remodel work.... those pictures made me remember why I do that

Last edited by Matt Fellman; 09-28-2010 at 11:48 PM.

There shouldn't be exposed felt paper; I highly doubt that the felt is rated for prolonged UV exposure.

Here's siding installation instructions from the Western Red Cedar Lumber Ass. http://www.wrcla.org/pdf/WRCLA_Installing_Siding.pdf
    Nowhere on there will you see anything showing a detail where felt is exposed.

I'd have to check , but I'm positive that the IRC requires material overlap or sealant / flashing for all siding types.

James Duffin Guest

I believe this is a custom installation that will not be covered in an installation manual. If the builder is an architect all he would have to do is sign-off on the design and all is well.

Different, but same kind of situation.
    Owner came out after seeing me scrutinizing his building and explained it was designed open and zero water issues.

Moisture barrier is underneath.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images