Thread: cleanouts

Jeff Eastman Guest

Default cleanouts

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-20-2007 at 08:15 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Robert Schenck Guest

Default Re: cleanouts

If you're referring to a sinks P-Trap, ... all sinks require them. Now, some of the P-Traps I've seen do have the threaded clean-out cap (on bottom of trap). Whether their required or not is unknown to me. If they have the clean-out cap, .. great, ... if they don't, it's just a matter of uncoupling the P-Trap, removing it and cleaning out all of the gunk and wifes hair !!

Martin lehman Guest

No, cleanouts are not required under sinks. Cleanouts are generally required where the drain lines change direction more than 45 degrees.
    Were there cleanouts under all the sinks in the home??

Robert Schenck Guest

I think my post above was a little misleading. I meant to say that all sinks, etc, require P-Traps, ... and not clean-outs.

jeff,
    cleanouts are required in new construction for sinks.u.p.c. 707.4 each horizontal drainage pipe shall be provided with a cleanout at its upper terminal and each run of piping. exc.(1) cleanouts may be admitted on a horizontal draain line less than 5 feet in length unless such line is serving sinks or urinals.

Martin lehman Guest

I must correct myself, Brian you are right. However there is also another exception to the rule. If a REMOVABLE trap is installed there is no cleanout needed.
    This is the norm out here. I rarely see a trap with a cleanout.