Jon mackay Guest

Default Free standing fireplace ID

Does this type of fireplace have a name?

Does anyone have information on clearances?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Free standing fireplace ID

I'll play. Can't see if black flecks in finish. As usual J.M. your details and photos provide minimal info.

General - "cone" or "acorn" type. Specifically, appears to be a Majestic, Aztec model. Unkwn if converted to wood properly, or was original. Other "vintage" mfg of similar style cone f/p are listed on prior thread. Opening and shape of opening appear to be a Majestic Aztec.

I've done this before, on more than one thread. Interesting what you can find if you just look at the first page of similar posts in the same topic area.

See (direct clickable link on this site): http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...fireplace.html

Not an original installation, loose stones as a base for acorn/cone are beyond stupid. Too close even if electric (doubful with damper as "decorative", if gas (also doubful with damper), and certainly if wood burning. Didn't meet instructions/code at time; therefore must meet current codes. Appears to have been converted to wood, doubful correct, and would be therefore unlisted - and probably not done right or safely.

If gas that closable in-line damper is not allowed. ALWAYS defer for inspection by a professional.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-09-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Since I'm "playing" sticking my neck out on ID with no details and poor resolution distant photo with no labeling info OR being able to determine if electric, wood burning (presence of tools in area notwithstanding), or gas set......as a "Majestic" branded contemporary "fireplace", "Aztec" Model, and presuming this is complete and has not been modified....However, I stand firm this cannot be a compliant original installation.

Found a file/label with clearances for various contemporary models from "Majestic", including the (at the time) clearances for the two sizes of the Aztec models (AZT 32 & AZT 36)... requiring 20" out from front for incombustible flooring, 12" out incombustible flooring on the sides, and either 30-1/2" or 31-1/2" side clearance to walls depending on the size of the Aztec model.

Here:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-09-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Of course HG would have info about that thing. He had one in his swingin bachelor pad back in the 70's. That along with the bear skin rug, lava lamp, incense and Barry White on the 8-track to complete the mood.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Nope, married decades before. Never was an 8-track fan, remained a reel-to-reel man. My tastes in architectual style and/or decor never included contemporary, modern design, nor the swinging 70s.

Ray Charles - yes; Barry White - no.

Jon mackay Guest

Ok, found the label.

It is called an Aztec Ceramic Fireplace and it is made by the Condon-King Co. Inc.
    The back wall clearance is 4 1/2"
    The side wall clearance is 16"

So I guess the 7" clearance will not cut it.

I attached a picture of the label but I only had my cell phone with me so it is not very clear.

Thanks for the help.

This just makes it even older...say Mid 60s to 1971-ish - pre AmSt aquisition/consolidation w/Majestic. "Ceramic" gets it past ear. 60s.

Note lack of approvals. Same arguments - treat as unlisted, not original install. Pipe also too close to walls.

Metalbestos pipe. Not original heat/ceiling collar.

Popular Science did several "placement" articles on the line. You can view them on Google Books, circa 1966-1970. Note increasing clearances as the years went by - reason for that. People and homes burned. Article blurb in PS 1967 claims 5" clearance from combustible walls - turned out not true - not without an asbestos sheild upon those walls. Remember faux brick and stone panels used to be set behind these and stoves - complete with asbestos and/or metal sheilds.

These were promoted and sold as DIY projects. Rarely was one installed even according to the directions/instructions available at the time.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-11-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Cool Re: Free standing fireplace ID

I haven't seen a listing sticker yet. It should be listed to UL 127 as a factory built fireplace or UL 1482 as a vented solid fueled room heater (woodstove). In the absence of a listing, it should be treated as an unlisted appliance even if it has a rating plate with stated clearances. These clearances shown may be from the mfr. but that doesn't make it listed. The AHJ would have final say of the acceptability of this appliance.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.