Default Firewall behind panel

Would this situation require a firewall ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Firewall behind panel

What "situation" are you referring? I suspect you're asking about a separation wall (shared wall to occupancy), but perhaps you are actually referring to a rated construction requirement. Looks to be an exterior wall of a garage so not sure what you're concerned about, unless it's (exterior wall) is too close to a property line or other structure.

That open box housing the receptacles and switch requires a cover/plate.

The right-most accessory panel's access and working space is violated by that make-shift shelf containing the can of Kilz.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-10-2010 at 09:44 AM.

A firewall between what and what?

You need to provide more information.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

As H. G. said, I believe you are thinking of a separation wall, and that the wall looks like an exterior wall.

As Bruce said, between what and what?

The large enclosure with the back into the (garage?) ... is that the back of service equipment which faces the exterior?

What is the smaller electrical enclosure to the right at that countertop?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The way I understand the installation of this panel/s in an exterior wall is okay. With that being said, I encountered an architect (family member of the buyer) that was at the house I was inspecting and recommended/insisted the back side of this have drywall, type x 5/8. Much like the material on a seperation wall.
    So I was put into a position where I looked like a fool by disagreeing with him. So then, I started to doubt myself and wated to check here to confirm my own knowledge. Also, now my clients are expecting a wall covering material here. There you have it. Sorry for the confusion.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

So you are referring to the meter socket enclosure installation's which is installed inset, not surface on this unfinished exterior wall.

Thank you for clarifying. That would depend on the listing, rating, and manufacturer's instructions of that equipment and if the conduit has been sealed for air-flow and condensation.

Cannot identify by the backside shot, but you are invited to review listed and labeling information on the equipment itself and the manufacturer's site. Feel reasonably confident from the size, multiple paths, it is combination equipment, not just a meter socket. Incorrect unsecured wiring two paths from bottom and to the left.

Are we correct in assuming this is an exterior wall of an attached garage, and that there is no occupied/living space above the installation sharing this "wall", or adjacent to this wall-line?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-10-2010 at 12:25 PM.

I am curious as to the second raceway coming out the top of that (presumably) combination meter/service equipment enclosure.

The raceway coming out the bottom is, presumably, feeders to the remote panel facing with the door open.

One of the two top raceways is, again - presumably, the riser to the service mast above the roof.

Is there another panel in the house and the second raceway coming out the top is for the feeders to it?

If the second raceway coming out the top is for branch circuits, there are likely many current carrying conductors in the raceway and both conduit fill and derating may need to be addressed.

H. G. covered the sealing of the raceways for condensation and some other things.

Looks to be a raintight hub at the top center, which would indicate that enclosure maybe should be installed on the surface and not recessed into the wall (not flush mounted), I believe H. G. alluded to this issue too.

A enclosure can be installed between studs and not have any wall covering on either side of the studs, of course, though, that would exposed all the wiring to physical damage, as does what you show in that photo on the interior side of the wall.

Not enough information to say much else, other than the architect is incorrect (based on what is shown and what we know).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    that riser is from a previous service, this was a panel replacement.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images