Default inspectors who use shoe covers

Just wondering how other inspectors who wear shoe covers handle the situation upon entering the interior of a sellers home, your about to enter and stop and slide on your covers and your client, spouse, maybe their agent is standing there. Do you offer shoe covers to them also?
    I know this is a goofy question, I usually remove my shoes before inspecting interior or I switch to clean shoes.

Ive been to inspections where I seemed to be the only one concerned and respectfull to the sellers carpets, I guess thats a good thing for me and my rep, just curious what other professionals do?

Steve B

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: inspectors who use shoe covers

Who cares what they do?
    Good job.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I avoid mud and puddles and wear my shoes in the house as-is unless the homeowner posts a message asking specifically for me to wear shoe covers or remove my shoes. If it has been raining recently and the exterior ground is mushy, I start the inspection inside and finish up outside. I carry shoe covers for myself only and do not keep spares or extras to pass around.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I always wear shoe covers. I have several extra pairs in my computer bag, and offer them to anyone that wants them. I can tell you that if the Sellers are home when I get there, they are very pleased that I am using them.

Many times the Seller is letting me in, and in the middle of them asking me to remove my shoes they notice I am putting on the shoe covers. This very small expense has bought me a huge amount of good will, and I know I have gotten many jobs from sellers because of it.

Has anyone here mentioned MPE? They are a source for shoe covers and other protective apparel made from recycled Tyvek, saves a few bucks....

Disposable Tyvek Clothing - Protective Apparel / Clothes - Tyvek Garments

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I have a cheap pair of slip on shoes to wear inside. Most agents and buyers couldn't care less about the seller's floors and keep their shoes on despite signs and a basket of booties that are set out. I've had a few occasions where the seller saw my regular (outdoor) shoes on the floor by the door and thought that they belonged to a family member and then put them "away." At one job the agent and buyers scuffed up the floors with the driveway's asphalt coating that stuck to their shoes. The home was meticulously kept and the owner went totally ballistic. When I left the agent and her clients were kept hostage and getting a royal reaming out with a demand for repair to the floors. Don't ever, ever get a Greek lady angry - it ain't pretty. ;-)

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I have disposable shoe covers and tyvek suits in my kit. Very rarely need to pull them out but when needed I do. Most of the time it isn't an issue.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I have shoe covers but I do not use them at every job. I determine that when I go to the door. If the owner is not wearing shoes in their home I put on the covers, or on occasion I change into a pair of Crocks to wear inside the home. I have shoe covers for anyone that wants them as well.

A word on most shoe covers. If you have mud on your shoes the covers will not keep it from oozing through the covers! I speak from experience.....

Also try to get the covers that have the grips on the bottom. They make for a better experience on wood and tile floors!

Most of all I will not inspect a home without my shoes on..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

ken harrington Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    Just wondering how other inspectors who wear shoe covers handle the situation upon entering the interior of a sellers home, your about to enter and stop and slide on your covers and your client, spouse, maybe their agent is standing there. Do you offer shoe covers to them also?
    I know this is a goofy question, I usually remove my shoes before inspecting interior or I switch to clean shoes.

Ive been to inspections where I seemed to be the only one concerned and respectfull to the sellers carpets, I guess thats a good thing for me and my rep, just curious what other professionals do?

Steve B
    Steve, good you are wearing shoe covers. During the inspection you have control over things YOU do, however, you cannot be responsible for others (buyers or agents) disregard for the property. If the agent is present, they should be responsible for providing the client with protection, not the inspector. If you observe someone tracking up the property, as the man in charge, you DO have an obligation to make a comment and mention it to whoever the guilty party is. Not a small issue at all if you are the homeowner and somebody tracks up your home.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have shoe covers but I do not use them at every job. I determine that when I go to the door. If the owner is not wearing shoes in their home I put on the covers, or on occasion I change into a pair of Crocks to wear inside the home. I have shoe covers for anyone that wants them as well.

A word on most shoe covers. If you have mud on your shoes the covers will not keep it from oozing through the covers! I speak from experience.....

Also try to get the covers that have the grips on the bottom. They make for a better experience on wood and tile floors!

Most of all I will not inspect a home without my shoes on..
    I agree with "shoes on". I started out going in stocking feet, but then started thinking, "I'm looking for electrical problems", probably not a good idea. I have shoes I change into for the inside.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I wear shoe covers at every inspection. That way I can always report that any tracks are not mine. Don't offer covers to anyone else typically. They are on their own to remove their shoes as they see fit. Several clients have commented that they wish they had covers and I have provided if asked. Keep a box of covers in the truck.

I use plastic covers. I wear a new pair when I enter the house. I use that pair to inspect the outside of the next house. That way my shoes are always covered, outside and in. Plastic booties do not let mud leak out but can be slippery inside.

I order 300 at a time and get a bulk discount as such. I pay about $100 for 300 booties and that includes shipping. 150 inspections for $100. $0.66 an inspection is cheap insurance and shows I care about the sellers home. I also carry a drop cloth and spread it out under any attics I enter to catch falling insulation.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I have never used shoe covers, I have a pair of canvas deck shoes that I carry in my bag. Once I complete the exterior inspection and begin on the interior, I slip these canvas deck shoes on. They are light and have a good grip for when I go into the attic space, they are also easy to clean, throw them into the washing machine and you are ready for your next inspection. It makes a difference when the owners and agents see you change into fresh, clean shoes. If you care enough to change into clean shoes, then you are probably just as conscientious in every thing you do. Sends a great message.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

I treat each situation as I see fit. Sometimes I just keep the same shoes on if they're not dirty or wet from the exterior tromping. If I feel the need to protect floors inside, I just take my shoes off and go with socks. Since I've been wearing nothing but 100% wool socks, I've had no foot odor problems. If in socks, sometime I'll put shoes back on for attic exploration.

Talking Re: inspectors who use shoe covers

Some homes you worry about what you may track in, and some you worry about what you may track out!

For those that remove shoes, change shoes or put on shoe covers . . . do you switch back and forth every time you go in or out? I may go from outside to inside to outside several times during an inspection. When I arrive I walk in with my tool bag and turn on the dishwasher then go outside to do the exterior and roof inspection. Depending on where the main panel is located I may walk inside the house several times to reset breakers as I check exterior GFCI outlets. If there is a sump pump I will probably fill my water container at an outside hose bibb (requiring a trip or two outside and back inside) and then I go back outside to check the discharge pipe after the sump pump activates.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Yes, I remove my shoe covers everytime I exit the home. Step on to back deck, enter the garage, step out a window on to roof, go out to truck to retrieve stuff, etc. Usually pull them off and leave them on the floor next to the window or door. Put them back on when I return.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I am surprised no one has mentioned wearing shoe covers at some foreclosures to protect you, from the house....

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned wearing shoe covers at some foreclosures to protect you, from the house....

I agree with you Paul. Some the stains I've seen on carpeting is very questionable.

rick

I just tie the laces loose, slip off the shoes when I go into a spic and span place, maybe put them back on for the basement and garage. I've had covers but ended up losing them, forgetting them, getting mud on them, etc. Everybody takes their shoes off, maybe it's a polite Canadian thing.

I bring a pair of wool work socks along with the sheet for the attic, tuck the pant legs in.

Had a balcony with problems today, so brought my shoes upstairs, set my ladder up as a stepladder on the balcony to check the roof, dropped my camera onto the patio, took my shoes off, into the bedroom down through the house, put my shoes on, retrieved my $89 Nikon, it was ok, shoes off, back in, beige carpet, back up, crap, forgot my shoes downstairs. At least my camera was ok.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

house shoes, "Oh look, he brings extra shoes" yes i do,and you and your broker are guilty!!

ROFLMA! Paul K, I agree!

In the winter I wear boots outside and slip on shoes inside. Keeps my pant legs and socks from getting wet. I carry shoe covers and will wear them when needed.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

I wear covers and don't care if no one else (client, realtor, etc.) does. Like Bruce, that way I can always report that any tracks are not mine.

I want my shoes for walking the attic or going down into a basement, so going stocking feet (or carrying my shoes around isn't for me).

Can't believe no one has mentioned "Booty Boots" (http://www.bootyboots.com/). No more weak disposables. When these durable covers get dirty I just toss them in the washing machine (mine at home, not the homeowner's when I'm on the job silly). One-time cost $18.

"Can't believe no one has mentioned "Booty Boots" (http://www.bootyboots.com/). No more weak disposables. When these durable covers get dirty I just toss them in the washing machine (mine at home, not the homeowner's when I'm on the job silly). One-time cost $18"

GOOGLED them up... and uh... I don't know how my clients would react... when I slip on a pair of...

"Christian Louboutin Multi Booty Boots"...

Michael Thomas

just cleaning up link so it will work

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

David Valley Guest

I carry a pair of slip-on boot covers in my tool bag. They last a long time. I will don these slip-on booties when my boots are wet or full of snow. I can't stand the cheap doctors slippers that slip and slide when walking across hardwood floors, so I upgraded to a rubberized traction slip-on from Shoe Covers - Booties - "Protect your floors with Bootie Shoe Covers!" for only $12.95 a pair.

25 posts about shoe covers? Why not. I wear shoecovers unless the floor coverings are heavily stained or the carpet's coming out. My boots & shoes are to a degree, self-cleaning.

I like to wear the same shoes for the entire inspection, especially when walking trusses or ceiling joists. Indoor shoes don't provide enough support for me, especially in attic or roof accessed from inside the home.

Last edited by Hank Spinnler; 10-17-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo

Post Re: inspectors who use shoe covers

Knee boots if there is snow, mud, rain water, or dew outdoors. Shoes on in the house, regardless. No booties or shoe covers, or any thing stuck to the bottom of the shoe that would decrease grip or traction. Having shoe covers on when a slip-and-fall accident occurs is going to make life very, very hard when it comes to determining cause and responsibility. Insurance companies do not like to pay. Shoe covers are a perfect example of an "easy out".

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

A lot of talk about shoes covers.

I wonder how many of you actually sanitize your hands after leaving someone's home?

If not, you should be.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

I have worn shoe covers on numerous occasions. There has been times I will slide a step or 2 on the stairs or seriously slick tile.. Taking them on and off relentlessly is a hassle as I am always in then out, back in again, back out, into the attic etc. I only where them now when it is an absolute must. If my shoes are clean they are not going on. It is no rude to not put them on. If there is no need then there is no need. I do not wear marring shoes. I have common sense enough to check my shoes countless times while going in and out and always wipe them off regardless whether they are clean, slightly dusty or dirty.

Not putting shoe covers on unless absolutely necessary is neither rude or inconsiderate. Dirtying the home up, marring the floors, leaving mud behind etc is rude and very inconsiderate. I think most folks on here are confusing the facts a wee bit. The mass majority of homes I visit friends and family or friends of friends and or family no matter how low in the dollar making or how high in the dollar making end of things, shoes are not an issue. There are times for all things and it is not always the time to remove or cover the shoes.

The winter living is a whole other game and circumstances are a bit different or those folks in the rainy world is also different. In many areas of the country it is nice enough to not be a big consideration.

There is a time for everything but not everything has a time all the time.

As far as the hand sanitizer....I have it in my vehicle. As a matter of fact any vehicle I am in.

Stefan McGuire Guest

I tracked some dirt onto nice carpet once when I first started, The seller was really mad, so I paid to have their carpets cleaned. After that I now use heavy duty re-useable show covers regardless of the condition of the inside of the property (sometimes I think the shoe covers are really protecting my shoes from nasty carpets).

My feet are specially calibrated to my shoes (sarcasm) and if I do the inside inspection in socks it really can affect the way I feel certain humps or soft spots in the floors.

Buyer's and realtors are on their own with what they do -- I did buy some really cheap disposable show covers on e-bay (they are plastic and last about 100 steps before wearing through), occasionally I will give some of those to the other people if it seems appropriate

ALSO, WATCH YOUR LADDER FEET, I USE A LITTLE GIANT AND SOMETIMES IT WILL GET CRAP ON THE FEET OUTSIDE AND THEN IF YOU SET IT UP INSIDE (ESPECIALLY WHEN THE ATTIC HATCH IS IN THE MASTER BEDROOM CLOSET) WITHOUT A DROP CLOTH UNDER NEATH, YOU CAN ENDUP WITH A CARPET CLEANING BILL THAT WAY TOO

Heh... seems my link to "Christian Louboutin Multi Booty Boots" has been deleted

Michael Thomas

Norman Root Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    just cleaning up link so it will work

Booty Boot unavailable untill 2nd week in November. FYI

Booties, good. Stocking feet, baaad. OSHA gonna git u sucker.
    Doing an inspection once and the hvac installer was working in stocking feet. I chewed him out in front of the H.O. telling him that it is illegal and that any job is not worth his health/safety.
    I knew prior that it was the H.O. that asked him to remove them....changing out furnace.

shoes on at all times,insurance company mandates. i'm not walking basement-attic -crawl space in my gold toe socks--booties ???? i bring a second pair of indoor shoes.

chas

I don't think OSHA gives a rats behind about what us home inspectors do.

MY insurance company has nothing in my policy about wearing shoes or not. I'm curious what yours says Charlie.

I wear shoe covers at every job. I have extras if anyone asks for them, but I don't police what others do at the inspection. It isn't my house, it's not my show, I'm just there doing MY job, and my job isn't telling others what they should or should not be doing in someone's house.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

If I was at an inspection and an HVAC guy gave me an earful for walking around in socks, I'd tell him to cork it.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 10-27-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: potty mouth
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Nick O., If U were installing a furnace in your panty hose feet, U also deserve to be 'corked'.

Quote Originally Posted by bob smit View Post
    Nick O., If U were installing a furnace in your panty hose feet, U also deserve to be 'corked'.

You may have saved that HVAC guy from getting his feet slit open or smashed.

Way to step in (In a roundabout way) when he wouldn't stand up for himself Bob.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

I bring two pairs of shoes: Boots for exterior and roof, shoes for inside and attic, and I use shoe covers for inside floors/carpets over the shoes. It's not that much effort and I don't have to hear everyone blame "the Inspector" for the fresh stains on the new carpet.

I just found a new use for shoe covers. I have a type made from something that looks like a fibrous Tyvek with no-slip treads on the sole. We had some heavy rain in the past few days and I had a couple of draw inspections and a pre-drywall inspection that require walking around the house in red sticky clay mud. I put on a pair of booties. The mud didn't stick to them and my shoes stayed clean. No dirty boots or shoes to clean. Just peal off the cover and toss in the trash.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I don't know about you guys... I guess most of you are of the throw-away- generations. Disposable shoe covers every time??

Ever hear of Totes? These you do not throw away! And yes, they make them for workboots (link below) or similarly styled footwear, not just dress shoes and loafers/deckers (link also below).

Slip in a super size (2-1/2 gallon) zip-it bag if they get clay mucked, or dirty they clean up in a jiffy. At less than $14 (presently on sale for workboot/athletic style shoe - no suede on 'em) a pair, they can last for years and years. 100% natural rubber (also an electrical insulator), you can keep them nice and supple with car care products. Good to wear in attics, crawl spaces and around the muck around the house, keeps your footwear clean.

Just as easy to slip and snap on/off as those darn booties, (okay for some like me now with weak hands/wrists and arthritis a shoe horn might help) but you'll have shoe-to-cover grip and outside grip and not be sliding your shoes or boots around inside those dang loosie goosie booties.

The rubber isn't going to make a mar anything that a quick spritz and a wipe with a cotton T-shirt rag or a "magic eraser" sponge wouldn't remove, and will not mark carpets, and you won't be a hazard on a ladder up/down a scuttle either. And Totes still has a decent 3-year warranty, (IIRC they used to be lifetime, then they started decreasing....over the decades). If you get a defective pair you just send them in with $5 and they send you a new pair.

I wouldn't risk picking up a fungus, roundworm, or spirochette (sp?) like the ones that go through your feet and up into your brain (no cure) common to racoons, etc. (and could be carried indoors), or gosh knows what other, or a foot puncture (pins, tacks, nails, broken glass shards, needles, lancet tips, staples, etc.) padding around in socks or slippers in a home of another, then slipping those socks back into shoes to leave! UGH!

If you can find them, all white leather tenis shoes with all white smoothish soles are what the good carpet and floor finisher guys wear in other peoples' homes.

Totes/isotoner, workboot style covers (clickable link):

Work Boot Rubber Shoe Cover - Rainwear - totes - totes ISOTONER

Totes/isotoner, dress shoe style covers (clickable link)

Loafer Style Rubber Shoe Cover - Rainwear - totes - totes ISOTONER

Time and place for throw-aways but every-day, every home, I can't see it. Sock-footed or anything less than protective, sturdy, clean and supportive footwear, never.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-29-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: drat! lost paragraph formatting again!!

[quote=Jack Feldmann;147354 I know I have gotten many jobs from sellers because of it.[/quote]
    If you want to get the best results from using shoe covers ask for a letter of recommendation from the buyers agent to share with other agents in his office. If it is important to them they will mention it in the letter. This is a good marketing technique.