Walt Fish Guest

Default Old inspector...new member has 4-point question

Hello everyone!

I've been doing Residential and Commercial inspections for 12 years now. Up north (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), things slow down a lot in the winter, and I am looking for other revenue streams.

I have worked some in the past with Third Party Insurance Inspection Underwriters such as Millennium, but they pay below minimum wage after expenses.

Does anyone have experience with Insurance Inspections where the pay was livable?

Thanks,

Walt Fish

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Old inspector...new member has 4-point question

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Fish View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Insurance Inspections where the pay was livable?

Thanks,

Walt Fish
    No. What about draw inspections on new construction jobs? Oh right, you're in the US of A.

You must have some stories to share. Feel free.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Hi Walter,

PM me, tell me the type of work you did. I may have the answer you seek.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 10-13-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Bob Spermo Guest

Walt,

I have done insurance inspections. Unless you can do ten in a two block area on the same day they just do not pay enough. They really do not work in Texas where the houses could be ten miles or more apart.

Post Re: Old inspector...new member has 4-point question

Walt, welcome to the forums. Short answer to your question: no. I don't even ask them what they reimburse any longer. I just tell them my fee. They usually hire some body else. Hope the economy turns around soon. MAR is backing Snyder for governor. When the real estate lobby backs a Republican, you KNOW the economy is hurting bad.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Walt Fish Guest

Thanks Bob, Steve, Randy and John,

Yes, It does seem that insurance inspectons don't pay.

What are insurance inspections? This is a new term to me.

Norm Richert Guest

I have an insurance inspection program that I hire independent contractors to work in a local area, take photos, measure and diagram the property. We use special equipment to take close up photos of roofs. They upload the photos and diagrams on the Internet. We review the photos and create a report for the insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Kinsey View Post
    What are insurance inspections? This is a new term to me.
    Insurance inspections are designed to evaluate the replacement cost of structures on a property (residential or commercial) and document hazards associated with them that might result in claims. I do residential inspections, and the hazards range from old roofs to aggressive breeds of dog to vandalism in the neighborhood.

Walt - Welcome! Recently in a thread called Mueller Services, Inc. one poster said she made $600/wk. This is the highest income I've seen for the company. Generally the average is about $13-14/hr (after subtracting $0.55/mi., but not accounting for other expenses such as printer ink and paper, some long-distance phone charges), but this can vary a lot depending on a wide variety of factors: population density/size of the territory, what insurance companies your cases are for (which determine the requirements for the report), computer and internet speed, what type of neighborhoods and houses you work with, what type of inspections you're assigned (exterior, interior/exterior, high value, occupancy verifications), experience, etc. That's just one company, though - others may pay more. The thread has over 100 posts if you want to read about them. I work for them myself.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Norm Richert Guest

It is a lot easier to review photos than to do the onsite work and spend time driving.