Thread: T-1-11 caulking

Herbert W Pender III Guest

Default T-1-11 caulking

Installation of T-1-11, would like to know if a caulking product named Vulcum would be the best to use, Sourthern CA. area and if so the T-1-11 was installed with screws 1 1/4 inch long and countersunk about 1/8-3/16" deep, the contractor filled all holes with the same Vulcom, but then wiped off the excess and when it was painted those areas were smooth, not like the rough areas of the T-1-11

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: T-1-11 caulking

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert W Pender III View Post
    Installation of T-1-11, would like to know if a caulking product named Vulcum would be the best to use, Sourthern CA. area and if so the T-1-11 was installed with screws 1 1/4 inch long and countersunk about 1/8-3/16" deep, the contractor filled all holes with the same Vulcom, but then wiped off the excess and when it was painted those areas were smooth, not like the rough areas of the T-1-11
    Herbert,

First, as a general rule, screws should not be used. There may well be screws that are approved for this type of use, but the general purpose screws are hardened and brittle. Nails are typically used to attach any kind of siding.

Second, countersinking was probably not a good idea. I can guess that he did this to hide the screw heads. I would find out what brand of siding was used and get the installation instructions. Compare those to the actual installation and question the contractor as to why he did not follow the instructions. To be done correctly, the siding may have to be removed and new siding installed. You might also contact the manufacturer or the local rep, to take a look at the install.

I doubt the caulking will be an issue, other than the way it looks.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

T111 is basically 4x8 texture finished plywood panels. The channel lines come in different widths for various appearance desires. Overall a pretty good product if you like the look. Depending on climate, initial prep work and maintenance it will look good and last long or rot fairly soon.
    Priming all edges and backside, using H channel, having a good face finish and caulking vulnerable edges makes a big difference as far as life span.
    Vulcum is a great caulk. Much better than the average stuff HD sells. A little difficult to work and rough to clean up. Mostly used in roofing. I prefer Solarseal. I am not aware of any compatibility issues. Vulcum will pretty much stick to anything. You would be best off checking their website for any compatibility concerns.
    T111 is typically nailed. Screwing would be Ok depending on what type of screws were used. If he used regular drywall screws, it may end up being a problem. Being in CA, maybe screwing is preferred, don't know.
    As far as the texture difference, that probably looks really bad. You could hit the caulk with a little sand paper to rough it up. If he had applied it and tried to work it 10 minutes after application it would have ended up rough like the T111. Vulcum does not like to be worked once applied.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I've used screws many times to intsall plywood or cedar siding and have never had a problem... I usually use outdoor coarse threaded screws (the gray ones) that are much thicker than standard drywall screws. They actually have pretty good shear strength and I prefer them to nails since they won't pull out like nails if/when siding warps.

As for the caulking I've always used Vulkem and had really good luck with it. I'll counter-sink the screw about 1/8" and dab on the caulk, then paint it and you can't even see where the screw is. With years of direct sun exposure I've had no problem.... but it is generally cooler up here in Oregon than where Gunnar is. Also, I haven't looked into the installation specs for plywood siding lately so there's every chance I'm doing it wrong. All my experience comes from things I've done to my own houses...

In general screws just take a lot longer and I always figured that was the reason nails are standardly used.

Herbert W Pender III Guest

Thank you all for the response, I will have to say that the screws that were used were special designed for wood siding and as far as the apperance is concern it is rough were the screw holes are and now that it is painted I can not even see any of the screw holes