Thread: mystery vent(?)

Default mystery vent(?)

60 year old house, stucco over masonry. No AC or anything else that I can imagine draining out of this thing. Seller had no idea. Looked like about a one inch pipe when I looked inside. It's below the second level bath and above the new lower level/basement bath.
    Any ideas what this could be for?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: mystery vent(?)

Possibly an added drain vent? How did it smell
    I've also seen bathroom vent fans necked way down with a cap like that, but 1 inch seems way too small.

Last edited by Benjamin Thompson; 10-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.

1" would be a bit small but were you using Oil 60 years ago in PA. Could be a crappy way of covering an old oil vent pipe. If it's some kind of plumbing, its wrong.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I saw a weather heater drain pan line configured once like that.

That's a marine fitting, a "round plastic louver" used to vent enclosed spaces on boats.

Now, what it is doing THERE, that I can not tell you...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I admit I was a little confused by the description of the location on the exterior and the "pipe" you described but didn't share photo of behind this "cover". Somewhere between a basement level and second story's floor cavity? What is the elevation from grade (ground, deck, balcony)?

What kind of "pipe" (1") material did you see behind this?

Did you "probe" into this void? Use a telescoping mirror?
    Does interior plumbing (potable supply OR fuel oil) and/or orientation/location outdoors suggest the possibility of the presence of an oil tank (fill) air-vent (as M.K. suggested), or a hose bib?

Is this "pipe" a sleeve?

Might it be electrical conduit? (for a outside light fixture for example, or an electric retractable awning)?

May also have been installed as a temporary cover following an intrusive investigation and sampling, perhaps insulation wetted or some prior flood event from the bathroom above and this was temporarily bored and installed to dry out (and never subsequently remediated)?

Any appliances at this second level or above, that might have a safe pan, TPRV discharge /air gap to a drain; or other drain (or suggestion there may have once been - such as a second water heater for a soaker tub, upstairs laundry (safe pan & drain under washer?), air conditoner or heat pump above attic or roof, etc.?)

I would be suspicious of a problematic retrofit insulation effort, and/or drainage/moisture infiltration problem. and that the "stucco" finish might not original in this area. Thermal imaging *might* provide a clue as to what is behind this area (from the inside) if it is all finished. If actually open louvers and not capped, or otherwise closed/contained could be a conduit for insects and cold obviously.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-20-2010 at 09:20 AM.

I as many other Pest Control companies use those vents for access for treatment or inspection needs.

rick

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I as many other Pest Control companies use those vents for access for treatment or inspection needs.

rick
    What about the 1" "pipe" Rick? What purpose would that serve in pest control treatment or inspection (seems would be a conduit/entry for pests, warm blooded, for example)

Most of those types of vents are screened on the backside. If not we place screen material on them.

Openings are cut into walls as such to do treatments for various insects such as carpenter ants, termites, ........

It is also not umcommon to place them on the wall opposite a tub trap for inspection of termites.

rick