Jason Jeske Guest

Default Re: Disaster Housing Inspectors

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Jeske View Post
    I was wondering if they have started calling inspectors for NC declaration yet?
    What happened in NC?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dan Baldwin Guest

Unhappy Re: FEMA Hurricane Irene @ New Jersey

I was deployed by PaRR last week to New Jersey from my home in California to do FEMA inspections for Hurrican Irene. What a mess!

PaRR deployed approx. 800 - 1000 inspectors on Sat/Sunday Sept 3/4, 2011 to Severn New York. Best guess is that 75% - 85% were brand new inspectors who have never been in the field. It took two days of standing in lines for 3 -4 hours for each of these steps1)Sign-in, 2)Sign up for a 4-hr class on "Mock Inspection Class"), 3)come back the next day for the Class, 4)Stand in line for 4 1/2 hrs. to get equipment, camera, computer, etc issued, 5) Wait 12 hrs. for first 'apps' to be downloaded to me.

While PaRR's staff on site were generally very helpfull and worked extremely long hours, they had approx. 1/3 the staff they needed to handle this hugh number of inspectors and get them out into the field in a timely manner. They insisted that almost everyone go through their 4 hour "Mock Class". If you have never used the software, ACE3 and PaRR Central you quicly discovered that this was an exercise in extreme frustration as the instructor told you "I don't have time to answer questions, don't ask. Look them up!" He never told you WHERE to look for answers. After 3 hours of this nonsence, he spent another hour telling you about the details of this diaster and how it is different from others (none of which made much sence to new instpectors).
    they deployed me to a rural county in western N.J. where it took 30 -45 minutes between inspections, and much longer to do each one as these were my first ones. After several computer malfunctions and waiting up to an hour to get telephone help from the team leaders and I.T. staff, I finally finished several inspections, but the "Air Card" issued to me had not been activated ("FEMA decided not to active your card. Just go to McDonalds and log on through their WiFi network"). 4 days later they activated my AirCard so I could up-load completed work.

By Thursday night PaRR put out a voice mail message that FEMA was NOT ISSUING ANY MORE APPS to Parr as PB had been activated to New Jersey and they were getting all the work. We were told to "hang in there for a while and we should have theis worked out by tomorrow [Friday?] or this weekend. with expenses pilling up at $100 -$150 per day, many inspectors couldn't afford to wait, and started going home.

I left on Friday. I have no idea if they ever started getting more work. Not sure I will ever accept a deployment again from PaRR.PaRR's initial training is horrible and serves only to frustrate everyone. Heard that PB is much better but I have no first hand info. on that. Good Luck if you wish to accept a deployment more that 400 miles from your home (drive your personal car if you can, try not to rent a $50/car).

Dan @California

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: FEMA Hurricane Irene @ New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin View Post
    I was deployed by PaRR last week to New Jersey from my home in California to do FEMA inspections for Hurrican Irene. What a mess!

PaRR deployed approx. 800 - 1000 inspectors on Sat/Sunday Sept 3/4, 2011 to Severn New York. Best guess is that 75% - 85% were brand new inspectors who have never been in the field. It took two days of standing in lines for 3 -4 hours for each of these steps1)Sign-in, 2)Sign up for a 4-hr class on "Mock Inspection Class"), 3)come back the next day for the Class, 4)Stand in line for 4 1/2 hrs. to get equipment, camera, computer, etc issued, 5) Wait 12 hrs. for first 'apps' to be downloaded to me.

While PaRR's staff on site were generally very helpfull and worked extremely long hours, they had approx. 1/3 the staff they needed to handle this hugh number of inspectors and get them out into the field in a timely manner. They insisted that almost everyone go through their 4 hour "Mock Class". If you have never used the software, ACE3 and PaRR Central you quicly discovered that this was an exercise in extreme frustration as the instructor told you "I don't have time to answer questions, don't ask. Look them up!" He never told you WHERE to look for answers. After 3 hours of this nonsence, he spent another hour telling you about the details of this diaster and how it is different from others (none of which made much sence to new instpectors).
    they deployed me to a rural county in western N.J. where it took 30 -45 minutes between inspections, and much longer to do each one as these were my first ones. After several computer malfunctions and waiting up to an hour to get telephone help from the team leaders and I.T. staff, I finally finished several inspections, but the "Air Card" issued to me had not been activated ("FEMA decided not to active your card. Just go to McDonalds and log on through their WiFi network"). 4 days later they activated my AirCard so I could up-load completed work.

By Thursday night PaRR put out a voice mail message that FEMA was NOT ISSUING ANY MORE APPS to Parr as PB had been activated to New Jersey and they were getting all the work. We were told to "hang in there for a while and we should have theis worked out by tomorrow [Friday?] or this weekend. with expenses pilling up at $100 -$150 per day, many inspectors couldn't afford to wait, and started going home.

I left on Friday. I have no idea if they ever started getting more work. Not sure I will ever accept a deployment again from PaRR.PaRR's initial training is horrible and serves only to frustrate everyone. Heard that PB is much better but I have no first hand info. on that. Good Luck if you wish to accept a deployment more that 400 miles from your home (drive your personal car if you can, try not to rent a $50/car).

Dan @California
    Oh, but it is not suppose to be for the money. It is suppose to be to help those in need ..... yeah, right. One still needs to make a living.

1000 inspectors and 10,000 home to look over. Even 20000 or 30000 or even a hundred thousand. 100 homes apiece at short money for each one and one has to come from California, rent a car, hotel, food, miss work at home, be away from friends and family

Ahhhhh, no thanks. I do believe everyone that posts here states that is nothing but a cluster BBBB when they were deployed to some hell hole and spend, spend, spend. You might as well go to the local home store and get a job with bennies.

Edward Jackson Guest

Default Re: FEMA Hurricane Irene @ New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin View Post

Dan @California
    __________________________________________________ ______

So, this is what a new inspector with PaRR can expect!

Tom Caruso Guest

A lot of the demand for these is from lenders but usually they want a licensed real estate appraiser for them

Hi All

Very usefull info about working for FEMA, However, could someone tell me what PaRR stand for.

Thanks in advance for your help

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com

Quote Originally Posted by fidel gonzales View Post
    could someone tell me what PaRR stand for.
    Partnership for Response and Recovery

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Partnership for Response and Recovery
    Good morning Bruce,
    Thank for the info. Have a super day.

Fidel

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com

I just got a notice from a Texas inspector association saying that Parr is in desperate need of inspectors for the Hurricane Sandy disaster.

Take it for what it is worth.
    Because of the scope of damage due to Hurricane Sandy, they are in desperate need of inspectors. PaRR Inspections has asked us to reach out to our Texas licensed inspector for help.

If you can help, please visit the PaRR website http://www.parrinspections.com/ for detailed information. If you are committed to go and help, fill out the ONLINE APPLICATION and submit via their site. THEY WILL CONTACT YOU WITH SPECIFIC DETAILS regarding when, where, how, how much etc. TAREI does not have this information. If you would like to visit with someone prior to filling out the application you may call their office at 800-758-0362. Please only call if you do not get your answers from their website.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 11-08-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas