Brad Cothren Guest

Default New to the game-need advise

Hello Folks,
    Trying to get into home inspection and need a little help on how to get started. Im going through a training at the moment to get state certified but am not sure the proper steps that need to be taken to start a home inspection business. Also, what tools do I need to aquire? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

David McGuire Guest

Default Re: New to the game-need advise

Welcome to the career field. Where in the northwest are you? Where are you taking your training at? They should have a list of recommended start-up tools that you would need. Number 1 a good brain to stay safe and sharp. Number 2 a good high quality flashlight and a back up. A good sound ladder. Newer dependable computer is always a good plus. Retractable mirrors are important. Gee, I know this, can't think right now. Also, knee pads are nice. Younger the body you have doesn't hurt either. But overall, you don't need to go overboard and spend a ton of money. You'll spend far more on good quality training than you will on tools/toys. Best advice, keep it simple, keep it easy.

Have patience. To enter the home inspection field at this time, when the industry is probably at the lowest its ever been, is gutsy.
    I know inspectors are going out of business left and right in my area, and from what I hear, it's the same all over the country.

Like David said, you really don't need a lot of fancy tools or gadgets. I guess if I was going to put a minimum tool kit together it would contain the following:
    A good ladder - I use a 17' Little Giant.
    A great flashlight. While I use a MagCharger, there are lighter and just as powerful flashlights out there. Think, really bright, and re-chargeable batteries.
    A good moisture meter. I use one that is both pin and pinless.
    The basic screwdrivers, nutdrivers, etc. You will probably start out with too many tools and weed the ones out you find you don't use much.
    The obvious stuff you will need to protect yourself while crawling under houses and in attics.
    The stuff you will need to produce a report.

You can do a search on the threads here and see past discussions on tools, software, reporting methods and systems, etc. There is a lot of info here, you just have to search it out and read, read, read.

Find a home inspector group near you and attend the meetings. You will learn a lot just by talking to the other inspectors there. You may even find someone that is willing to take you on a ride along.

If you are in a State that has licensing, you will need to make sure you meet all the requirements.

If your State requires E&O insurance, you will need to get it. There is always a huge debate here when the topic of insurance comes up, but the bottom line is, you may be required to have it. It's not cheap.

You are going to incur a lot of expenses (besides your training), and probably not get much of a return for quite a while, likely a long while.

Good luck.

John Steinke Guest

Well, you're probably not going to like my answer ... but here goes:

If all you have going for you is a few seminars and passing a test, IMO you have no business claiming that you know what you're doing.

For any construction trade you need to spend YEARS learning and mastering the craft, before you can claim even a basic competency. A large part of the learning has to do with learning all the different construction methods, even those that haven't been used for decades. There are far too many threads at HI forums where some eager soul is asking (even outraged) about the cardboard sewer ("Orangeburg") and the "Knob & Tube" electric.

This is more than simple trivia. It is by knowing what is 'normal' that you can identify where problems are most likely to turn up. For example, homes of a certain age were not wired with ground wires- so, if you see three-prong receptacles in one, you need to be able to determine whether they did them right.

Likewise, can you size sewer lines? This is relevant, as many household remodels add bathrooms, sinks, laundry, etc. It's very possible that the original sewer was not sized for all those 'fixture units.'

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinke View Post
    Well, you're probably not going to like my answer ... but here goes:

If all you have going for you is a few seminars and passing a test, IMO you have no business claiming that you know what you're doing.

For any construction trade you need to spend YEARS learning and mastering the craft, before you can claim even a basic competency. A large part of the learning has to do with learning all the different construction methods, even those that haven't been used for decades. There are far too many threads at HI forums where some eager soul is asking (even outraged) about the cardboard sewer ("Orangeburg") and the "Knob & Tube" electric.

This is more than simple trivia. It is by knowing what is 'normal' that you can identify where problems are most likely to turn up. For example, homes of a certain age were not wired with ground wires- so, if you see three-prong receptacles in one, you need to be able to determine whether they did them right.

Likewise, can you size sewer lines? This is relevant, as many household remodels add bathrooms, sinks, laundry, etc. It's very possible that the original sewer was not sized for all those 'fixture units.'
    Not to argue with what John posted, but I do not agree with some of it. A person can enter the home inspection profession without ever swinging a hammer or installing a toilet. Does it help to have worked in the building trades? To a point, but it is not a requirement. I know many very good and long time home inspectors who never worked in the building trades.

If you do not have basic light construction knowledge, you will need to learn it. You will have to study more than those who already have that knowledge. In our profession common sense, good logic, a keen eye, and a good reporting ability is worth more than 10 years of swinging a hammer, IMVHO.

As far as Orangeburg pipe? I have been at this gig for over 15 years and I have not seen it yet. I know what it looks like from pictures and I guess I will know what it looks like when I see it.

Everyone's knowledge base is different and their formal eduction needs will be different as well. Everyday in this profession is a learning experience. I do not know of anyone who entered this profession knowing everything, it is impossible. I look back at my first 500 or so inspections and I wonder how and why I'm still in business. Now after 5,000 or so inspections I'm starting to get the hang of what is going on, but I still have those days when I have a question and a "I do not know" moment.

Oh, as far as it being a really bad time to enter this profession? I would not count on making enough income to support yourself untill the economy turns around and folks are buying houses once again. I don't think we will ever see home sales like they were between 2000 to 2006. Those were very good years.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Tom Camp Guest

Hi Brad,
    As well as having hand tools a ladder and a good flashlight, you will also want a good website. I find that at least 50% of my business comes from my website. Good content and clarity on your website will get you higher rankings from the search engines which means more customers. GOOD LUCK!

Inspections Done Right

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Brad,

I would think long and hard about entering into this profession unless you put together a very long term transition. In other words ... keep your day job.

HIs are leaving or looking for full-time/part-time work to try and make ends meet.

As SP noted ... the real estate industry will likely not ever see what we've experienced in recent years and any sort of recovery is some time off ... and I'm not talking about "months".

One other thing ... I question as to why you posted such in the "Electrical Systems" section of the IN Forum?

There are other sections that such a question makes far better sense.

Such a posting here, in of itself, seems to indicate to me that you would have a lot to learn about inspections.

Best wishes ... and do your due diligence.

Ted Menelly Guest

As I was reading this thread the news was on in the back ground. (just a tiny bit slow this week). The news folks were talking about the housing foreclosure market. They were talking to some folks that bought a home. The price increased increasing their equity. They borrowed on that equity and now own a 400,000 dollar mortgage. The loan was for a business and they got into the business as the market or economy was floundering.

They have not paid on their mortgage...not one cent toward their mortgage....for 10 months. The banks do not have enough individuals to foreclose on those folks and go thru the procedures. They have been living rent/mortgage free for 10 months. This is extremely wide spread. If they were renting in the state of Texas they would be out on the duffs after being 9 days late on their rent.

Brad

This is no time to consider getting into the inspection business. I do not like to be the negative one but that is a simple, direct answer to what should you do. This market, as the news is reporting is going to get worse once all these folks get foreclosed on that are behind in months or even a year. If the economy improves a tad then the banks will start dumping some of these foreclosures on the market once again driving down home costs but they will have no choice. They have to get at least some of the money back. These homes were bought from other folks that received money from the lending institute. It is not like the homes are sitting there worth nothing. It is owed to someone, somewhere and that money has to be recouped.

Do yourself a huge favor. rethink what it is you are about to do. There are a serious amount of jobs out there that have at least a little bit of stability to them. As Neil said above. There are Realotrs getting out of the busioness because they cannot afford the basic insurances and such to stray active. There are home inspectors all around the country getting out of the biz or as Neil said picking up part time work to make ends meet.

To all those folks out there that wish to encourage anyone into the Home Inspection business right now.....why is all I ask.

The absolute worse housing market in how long?

Inspectors around the country claiming half if not a whole lot less than half of the work than they ever had?

Inspectors stating that even if they did have a good year or semi good year so far that in the past few weeks there phone has stopped?

Please stop feeding folks on. You are not doing them or yourself or the market anything good. You are not kicking their feet out from under them, you are not taking away their dreams. You would be doing them a tremendous favor to direct them elsewhere. You will be helping to insure that you may have that one more inspection next week instead of one less inspection. Can you really afford to give up any portion of your business right now.....No? Then stop leading folks in the wrong direction. Tel them the truth. The truth will be a lot less damaging than to see someone sink everything they have into a ship that is half sunk right now.

Of course this is all just my opinion BUT based on a serious amount of facts.

David Valley Guest

I can tell you from years of experience that getting started in the home inspection business will always be slow and gradual, especially with today’s R/E mess. Many newcomers to this profession will get very frustrated during that first year in business and some finally throw in the towel and return to construction work or to their previous occupation. Selling your HI services to R/E agents before you have actual field experience is not easy, but it has been performed by nearly everyone who is an experienced home inspector today.

Instead of worrying about your lack of inspection experience, you’re better off telling people about your related knowledge and experience -- such as contracting or whatever it was you did previously that relates to Home Inspections. Tell them about your certifications and any other professional credentials that might apply to Home Inspections. Tell them about your commitment to do excellent work. But don't say you are a "continual learner" because that infers that you have not yet sufficiently learned about Home Inspections. And don't ever tell them that you're an "overachiever" because many agents are afraid of home inspectors who might "kill the deal" by being overly zealous. But when someone asks you how many inspections you've performed, just tell them the truth and let the chips fall as they will. Most people, however, won't even ask if you act professional enough to make them think you're GOOD.

R/E Agents are used to newby inspectors coming into this field all the time. At first, you may be dismissed as just another home inspector. But gradually, if you're GOOD, you'll get inspection orders -- a few here, a few there. And if the R/E agents really like your work, they'll call on you and refer you again, and again. And little by little, you'll become an experienced Home Inspector.

But while you're gaining that valuable experience, you'll be missing property defects that would be discovered by a more experienced Home Inspector. These undisclosed conditions will result in callbacks, monetary claims and possibly a major lawsuit. So be sure to carry Errors-and-Omissions insurance, and do all you can to continually advance your HI education. The more you know and the more you practice, the more effectively you'll serve your customers, the more protected you'll be from liability, and the more often you'll be recommended to home Buyers on a continuing basis.

If you make the wise decision of attending a professional home inspection school, you will see many ads that say you can make hundreds of dollars a day as a Home Inspector. The home inspection schools always print many of these ridiculous ads and what they claim is simply not true. They paint a bright rosy picture about the HI profession and how easy it will be for you to make a ton of money virtually overnight. Bullshi+.... If you believe that story, I'll tell you another, if you’re gullible enough to listen.

What these HI schools and the various companies’ (selling Home Inspection courses) won’t tell you is how difficult it is to be successful in this business, especially with today's real slow R/E market. Some National HI schools make it sound so easy to get started overnight. They simply explain how easy it would be to start doing one or two home inspections a day with little or no effort. Don't allow then to fool ya. The HI business is like any other professional business. It takes dedication, strong finances and a lot of time to become very successful.

Many HI schools do not tell you about the massive liability side of the home inspection industry. The home inspection industry is and always will be a very high liability profession. Every single home you inspect is a potential lawsuit for you. It doesn’t matter that you may be the most thorough home inspector in your area. Home Inspectors are sued over things that the homeowners thought they should have found whether or not you could actually see the defect or not. There’s an old saying in this business. It’s not IF you get sued, but WHEN you get sued. So if you can’t live under this sort of pressure, you’d be best off looking elsewhere for a different profession.

All it takes is a ladder, a flashlight and pickup truck…right?

Well, guess what? Here’s more bad news, and I apologize but it's the absolute truth. Like most legitimate businesses, it takes a little more than a few simple tools. A new home inspector is going to need about $2000 worth of tools just to get started in this business. Then there is the issue of insurance. Errors & Omissions Insurance will cost a new inspector (if you can even get it) anywhere from $3,000 to $4500 per year. Then there’s General Liability Insurance that will run you anywhere from $500 to $1500 per year. In some states, you can’t even get started without this insurance.

Do you have a rainy day fund?

I hope so, because it will absolutely rain on your parade! Just like any new business, the 1st year or two will be very rough. It may take you anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to even get to the point where you’re bringing in a hefty steady income. Many Home Inspectors came into this business by doing home inspections on the side or on a part time basis. That is the exact approach I would advise any new inspector to take. Don’t quit your day job just yet!

What about the Real Estate Agents?

The schools make it sound like there’s a R/E agent behind every tree just waiting for good ole' you. Odds are that R/E agents have their favorite Home Inspector already and they’re not likely to use a newbie Home Inspector because they do not know what to expect from you as of yet. It will take you many months up to a year or more before you’ll be getting regular referrals from your favorite real estate agents. Don’t count on them to feed your family when you first start your HI business. This industry can be very rewarding in many ways, however it’s likely to leave a sour taste in your mouth if you enter thinking that it’s a pushover to get started in this industry. I’ve seen way to many good people go broke trying to get started in the HI business because home inspection schools and trainers left them unprepared for what they were about to face in the real world.

I really wish you all the Luck in your career decision and whatever your goals may be. After hearing me tell you the real truth about this industry and you are still truly thinking of dedicating yourself to become an HI, the first thing you should do is join iNACHI and then participate in this MB on a daily basis. You'll be amazed at how much you can learn in a few days.

Philip Guest

Many are called, but damn few are chosen.

This is not to be meant as an association slam, but the last thing you should do is join iNachi. Don't bother spending the money.
    If they have chapter meetings, go. If there are ASHI or NAHI chapters near, go to those meetings. Get out there and talk to other inspectors in your area.

Do not waste your money joining organizations, advertising programs or crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cothren View Post
    Hello Folks,
    Trying to get into home inspection and need a little help on how to get started. Im going through a training at the moment to get state certified but am not sure the proper steps that need to be taken to start a home inspection business. Also, what tools do I need to aquire? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks
    Trying to get into the home inspection business?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

What they told you in HI school was entirely correct. I have made over a million dollars in this business. Unfortunately, it has taken me 14 years.

Norman Root Guest

Thumbs up Re: New to the game-need advise

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    What they told you in HI school was entirely correct. I have made over a million dollars in this business. Unfortunately, it has taken me 14 years.

So that would be $71,428.57 per year.. just breaking it down

Ted Williams Guest

-need advise (sic) -need advice (cor)

Not to be a smart-ass, but I believe proper spelling is important for accurate reporting and professionalism. Unless English isn't your first language, then, never-mind. I know how hard it is to be proficient in a second language.

Well I see the spelling police has shown up again.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Well I see the spelling police has shown up again.

rick

Rick, technically, it's the grammar police...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    That's correct.

What he should have said was "I see the grammar police done showed up again".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    You are correct.

That's why one shouldn't start drinking early in the day.

rick

I see the grammar police done showed up again.

Ron Bibler Guest

I love it some one pops on & say hey I'm new What should i do now... and the all the old dogs come out with this little tid bit and and some 20 post later our guy is gone

And you guy wonder what Real Estate agent don't like you

L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Strangely, they are always (or nearly always) with the same error.They ask for or claim they need "advise", not "adviCe".I'd say, if you're going into the game of giving opinion and adviCe (rhymes with nice, ice, dice, slice) and want others to give you adviCe (the thing you give or seek, or receive without solicitation!)You want someone to adviSe (rhymes with "size") you (the action of giving the thing, giving the adviCe), from an advisor (rhymes with incisor).Then you should learn the difference and spell it accordingly.I know, I'm one to talk with spelling errors and typos abundant. But they don't really sound the same, and these regular type posts - almost always make the same mistake in how they spell advice or misuse the word advise.You'd think that might be the first thing they would teach - even before nacho asks how to spell receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    This is not to be meant as an association slam, but the last thing you should do is join iNachi. Don't bother spending the money.
    If they have chapter meetings, go. If there are ASHI or NAHI chapters near, go to those meetings. Get out there and talk to other inspectors in your area.

Do not waste your money joining organizations, advertising programs or crap like that.
    You read like a babbling Moron.
    I am a NACHI member and it is the best association one can join to learn and educate yourself.
    Join another association and one gets responses from old tired guys that fear competition because they are to lazy to keep up with the times.
    There are several of those tired types here on the board and if you read through on search you will see the same guys trying to scare newbies out of the field every chance they get..
    Makes you think they must have jumped out of their mothers womb with hammer in one hand and saw in the other.
    Brad feel free to stop by the Nachi forum and get response not designed to scare you away and also feel free to communicate anytime since at NACHI we actually try to help our inspection brothers.
    Ignore haters and fear mongers.
    If I had joined ASHI or NAHI I never would have even gotten started and we all need to start somewhere.

Too busy celebrating what's left of my birthday to respond further but alway's follow your dreams and ignore the static.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    You read like a babbling Moron.
    I am a NACHI member and it is the best association one can join to learn and educate yourself.
    Join another association and one gets responses from old tired guys that fear competition because they are to lazy to keep up with the times.
    There are several of those tired types here on the board and if you read through on search you will see the same guys trying to scare newbies out of the field every chance they get..
    Makes you think they must have jumped out of their mothers womb with hammer in one hand and saw in the other.
    Brad feel free to stop by the Nachi forum and get response not designed to scare you away and also feel free to communicate anytime since at NACHI we actually try to help our inspection brothers.
    Ignore haters and fear mongers.
    If I had joined ASHI or NAHI I never would have even gotten started and we all need to start somewhere.
    Bob, Bob, with your name calling your starting to sound like nickey.
    All one has to do to confirm the facts about the reality of staying in this business, is go to the AZ Home Inspector licensing agency. It will only take a few min. to see there are over 600 inspectors in AZ alone that started in the last 2-4 years are no longer in business.

As far as nacho, all of my customers prefer to hire an experienced inspector, opposed to hiring an inspector that brags about belonging to an association that advertizes their inspectors can get free training and certified from 0-60 in no time.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 10-21-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Bob, Bob, with your name calling your starting to sound like nickey.
    All one has to do to confirm the facts about the reality of staying in this business, is go to the AZ Home Inspector licensing agency. It will only take a few min. to see there are over 600 inspectors in AZ alone that started in the last 2-4 years are no longer in business.

As far a nacho, all of my customers prefer to hire an experienced inspector, opposed to hiring an inspector that brags about belonging to an association that advertizes their inspectors can get free training and certified from 0-60 in no time.
    New to the board you should do a search on the cry babies and see the constant one note bashing.
    They live for hate and I sure would not look to negative people for advice on anything.

"Have a nice day"

Brad Cothren Guest

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I appreciate the input by you who have experience in this exciting field.

I understand that some of you do not paint a pretty picture and I respect that. I understand that there is a lot that goes into this business and do not expect to walk in and know everything about the business.

As far as the posting goes, I apologize I posted in the wrong catagory, I will make sure to get my forums correct next time. Also, I understand that my spelling was incorrect in my heading, or was it grammer? Either way I will try to be more professional next time

I will continue to work my current job as I continue to learn and attempt to get into the HI business. Again, thanks to all who posted. I will take your real world experience to heart.
    Brad

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I appreciate the input by you who have experience in this exciting field.

I understand that some of you do not paint a pretty picture and I respect that. I understand that there is a lot that goes into this business and do not expect to walk in and know everything about the business.

As far as the posting goes, I apologize I posted in the wrong catagory, I will make sure to get my forums correct next time. Also, I understand that my spelling was incorrect in my heading, or was it grammer? Either way I will try to be more professional next time

I will continue to work my current job as I continue to learn and attempt to get into the HI business. Again, thanks to all who posted. I will take your real world experience to heart.
    Brad
    Brad there is no overhead and starting part time is a good way to go.
    Go to the NACHI site and download the tons of free education that even these guys use all the time but try to look cool by denying.
    Some of them even post over there.
    Associations are not important.You are and you need education on inspecting and marketing.
    Do not ever say you are sorry for asking anything.My business is doing fine but it takes time to build referrals so keep talking.

Brad, I have only been posting on this website for just the last couple of months. I actually stumbled on to it by accident, but it has been a great resource when you want unbiased and sometimes brutally honest feedback. If you can stand the heat, don't hesitate to post any question or reply...you will find you will be more competent when you open yourself up to professionals who have "been there done that". As far as the Home Inspection business, search earlier threads, you will find a lot of answers to many questions you may want to ask. The best advice (yes, I used it correctly) I have seen given to you besides the tools involved is a good website. Start out simple then tailor and adapt it to best suit your style and business approach. Beat the pavement and meet and greet as many real estate agents and mortgage bankers as possible. Familiarity breeds trust, and trust fosters referrals, and referrals is the life blood of this business. Be man of integrity and follow through on your promises. A good reputation is your best foundation upon which to build. Good Luck!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Default Re: New to the game-need advice

Hello Folks,
    Trying to get into home inspection and need a little help on how to get started. Im going through a training at the moment to get state certified but am not sure the proper steps that need to be taken to start a home inspection business. Also, what tools do I need to aquire? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    Brad, if you go to your first post and click Edit, Then click Go Advanced, you can go to the 'title' of your post and correct it. Save Changes.

Search the tools forum for the lowdown on tools. The best tools are your eyes which are connected to your brain and your mouth. Know houses inside and out. Show confidence when someone asks you something. In a pinch, say you will let them know, and post the questions here.

Last edited by John Kogel; 10-21-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: A bit of advice
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Brad there is no overhead and starting part time is a good way to go.
    Go to the NACHI site and download the tons of free education that even these guys use all the time but try to look cool by denying.
    Some of them even post over there.
    Associations are not important.You are and you need education on inspecting and marketing.
    Do not ever say you are sorry for asking anything.My business is doing fine but it takes time to build referrals so keep talking.
    No overhead?? Who are you trying to fool?

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

David is right when he says
    the first thing you should do is join iNACHI
    At least come over and have a looksee. And ignore the haters from the little associations.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    David is right when he says At least come over and have a looksee. And ignore the haters from the little associations.
    Huhh. And this is coming from the owner, opps an employee of an association, that tells the public other inspectors are dumb, stupid scumbags if they don't pay him to join his association.

I'm still trying to figure out where Bob & David stand. Do they agree with nicko and also think we, other members on this site, are dumb stupid scumbags, or do they pay nickey $289. so they aren't called that on open to the public sites.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 10-22-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Brad[/QUOTE]

Brad,

This site has a great book called, "The Cost of Doing Business" that focuses on the Professional HI business and what costs you can expect to have. I would strongly suggest that you consider purchasing it. It may be one of the most important tools you can invest in as you get started.

Just do a search on this site or email Brian Hannigan (our moderator) for more information.

Bob, Bob, Bob.... nice personal attack, very classy.

If you took the time to read my post you would find that I told the OP not to join any association, but to find and attend local Chapter meetings of ASHI or NAHI. I don't know if INachi has chapter meetings or not, they don't in my area.

The point I was trying to make was he should get some real face time with other inspectors in his area. Nothing really beats having face to face conversations.

I left my personal opinion of your association out of the post. I know that a lot of new inspectors want to get that "certification" and they join NachI thinking they can get a little logo to add to their business cards without jumping thru many hoops. That's all fine and well for some, but they probably should save their money to put toward more important things. Buying Brian's "Cost of Doing Business" would be a much better investment.

To tell someone that there is no overhead in this business, and to send $289 to get some "free" stuff tells just baffles me.

Are you referring to all that "free", state-approved education that is "free" and approved in your state of Tennessee Jack? Or were you referring to something else that InterNACHI offers for "free?"

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Are you referring to all that "free", state-approved education that is "free" and approved in your state of Tennessee Jack? Or were you referring to something else that InterNACHI offers for "free?"
    Lisa, we have gone through this before..... It is really not free. After you pay the $289 then you can take it for free....... Is this not the truth?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott repeats
    It is really not free. After you pay the $289 then you can take it for free....... Is this not the truth?
    No Scott. It is not the truth. Some of our educational offerings are open and totally free to all. See left column of How to become a home inspector: Free Inspector Education and Training - InterNACHI You yourself Scott have taken some of our free courses........ Is this not the truth?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Scott repeats

No Scott. It is not the truth. Some of our educational offerings are open and totally free to all. See left column of How to become a home inspector: Free Inspector Education and Training - InterNACHI You yourself Scott have taken some of our free courses........ Is this not the truth?
    Yep, I sure did take a course. Wow, I'm impressed that you knew that I took a course a couple of years ago. I will not say anything negative about the education offerings from your organization, you have a some good ones and just like everyone else you have some stinkers.

Is the Pre-licensing education for TN free or is it only free after a person joins your org?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'm not sure where all the confrontation is coming from, besides, who ever heard of a "Free Lunch". Nothing in this life is free, it all has a cost of some sort associated with it. I, so far, have been very impressed with all that InterNachi has to offer. Is it totally free? No, but is it a great value for someone in this business, especially if you live in a state that requires continuing education? You bet your sweet bippy it is! If you don't like the cooking, then get out of the kitchen, otherwise, take advantage of what associations are willing to offer and make it work for you.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Scott writes
    Yep, I sure did take a course. Wow, I'm impressed that you knew that I took a course a couple of years ago. I will not say anything negative about the education offerings from your organization
    Thank you. In addition to each member's free, time-stamped, online CE log, InterNACHI also maintains a record of every course ever taken as we are required to verify this information for licensed states.

Is the Pre-licensing education for TN free or is it only free after a person joins your org?
    Free after a person joins InterNACHI. However, they can join as an invisible student and they get the $289 credited back when they join as a member, and in addition to the Tennessee-approved, 149-hour, online pre-licensing course you mentioned, which BTW comes with membership, the member also receives a zillion other free benefits which makes membership in InterNACHI much, much better than free. It's a no-brainer (no offense to those without brains ).

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Dub Smith writes
    I, so far, have been very impressed with all that InterNACHI has to offer.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI