Default Reporting decommissioned oil tank in good condition

Don't see too many oil tanks in my area and all I've found to date have been significantly deteriorated, and I just realized I have recommendations written for just about every sort of grotty/leaking/suspected tank I've found, but not for today's decommissioned tank, which appeared to be empty and except for the dust looked like it might have been installed last week (it's still connected to the line in the basement floor, but I could not find find the other end).

Suggested recommendation?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Reporting decommissioned oil tank in good condition

Are you sure it's decommisioned? I would suggest disconnecting the fill and vent pipes at the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    Are you sure it's decommisioned? I would suggest disconnecting the fill and vent pipes at the exterior.
    House was built 1952, no oil fired appliances installed, current gas furnace is 18 years old.

On the unusual occasion when I find interior tanks in my area they are almost always retro-fits and I can follow the outline of the trench in the slab and find the far end of the line somewhere near the chimney, in this case it looks like the line was embedded in the slab when it was poured, and I could not locate the exit of the other end from the slab.

Fill and vent lines are still present at the exterior of the basement wall, but no oil smell was present at the filler, I'm wondering if the tank was ever used....

Sorry I don't have better pictures, but it was the end of a long day and both of the camera's batteries were almost flat.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-21-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Tank installed but not used or short run till gas became available and then installed.

Builder may have hedging bet on fuel availability or cost. For a little additional cost had option to change out heating to alternate fuel.

Line in floor may lead to location of gas unit and is cut off and under existing unit.

Decommissioned - NO.
    Discontinued - YES

Though it should be noted (recommended ) that the line to the floor should be removed from the tank and tank capped. Even though the line will not fill unless tank is overfilled there is still a possibility. Added to that also recomend that the filler cap be changed to a cap with a lock.

Reasoning: Driver with wrong address delivers to house and home owner doesn't know tank is now full or worse by some fluke accident ends up with oil covering floor.

I would recommend removal ... do you really know that it was drained, cleaned, and fully decommissioned?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Post Re: Reporting decommissioned oil tank in good condition

My recommendation would also be removal. Locally, there was a fuel delivery driver who stopped at the wrong address. No one was home. He pumped 230 gallons of fuel oil into the basement. Yes, that is correct, 230 gallons. He was never the wiser. The house was condemned and torn down by the city.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

I don't say decommissioned or discontinued. I state that it is present and whether or not it looks to be hooked up to anything. I always tell people there is probably at least a few gallons left in the bottom.
    Getting rid of these has become a much bigger problem. One used to be able to haul it out to the alley and it would be gone faster than you would realize. The junkers loved them because they are heavy. From my experience the seasoned junkers don't take them anymore. The less knowledgeable ones will still. From my discussions with guys it turns out that the more legit salvage places won't take them because they don't want to deal with the contamination issues. Unfortunately there's always the Westside.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I state that it is present and whether or not it looks to be hooked up to anything. I always tell people there is probably at least a few gallons left in the bottom.
    Getting rid of these has become a much bigger problem.
    Right. I advise the client if a buyer to have the abandoned tank removed before closing, even if it is just sitting behind the house. Why should they pay?

Last edited by John Kogel; 10-23-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Lawrence Transue Guest

Wink Re: Reporting decommissioned oil tank in good condition

I Recommend that the tank be removed.

In Pennsylvania the home is to be delivered "Broom Clean"

Broom Clean means no abandoned junk in the basement. Including but not limited to old appliances, old water heaters, old furnaces, old refrigerators, and yes -- oil tanks that are not in use.

This should not even be a Home Inspection Issue, It is usually already in the sales contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Transue View Post
    I Recommend that the tank be removed.

In Pennsylvania the home is to be delivered "Broom Clean"

Broom Clean means no abandoned junk in the basement. Including but not limited to old appliances, old water heaters, old furnaces, old refrigerators, and yes -- oil tanks that are not in use.

This should not even be a Home Inspection Issue, It is usually already in the sales contract.
    This makes a lot of sense to me as a clean non debatable approach. Thanks....I don't see oil tanks very often but when I do they are frequently no longer being used. I just wrote up a comment along these lines and added it to my library.