Cool R-there 2 many H.I. Associations

Your thoughts on this - are there too many Home Inspection associations? I often hear comments from others (particularly from the consumer perspective) about how fractured and uncoordinated the home inspection industry has become.

Do you see this as acceptable, or in the best-interest of the industry?

What do you see as the best H.I. association model?

Thanks in advance.
    Claude from Canada

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Claude Lawrenson; 10-22-2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Thanks
    OREP Insurance

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: R-there 2 many H.I. Associations

My state (NC) has regulations and a SOP I consider adequate for me to do my job as a HI so I decided I did not need what the independent associations are supposed to provide. I have other trade license which the state regulations also provide all the support and guidance I need. I guess if a state does not license HI's an association may be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Lawrenson View Post
    Your thoughts on this - are there too many Home Inspection associations? I often hear comments from others (particularly from the consumer perspective) about how fractured and uncoordinated the home inspection industry has become.

Do you see this as acceptable, or in the best-interest of the industry?

What do you see as the best H.I. association model?

Thanks in advance.
    Claude from Canada
    What does it hurt to have multiple associations? Most if not all of the associations in the US have spun off from the first HI membership association and that was The American Society of Home Inspectors, aka. ASHI. The spin offs were started by folks who either did not like the leadership, the rules, or the requirements. They thought that they could create a better mousetrap! Last year, ASHI courted NAHI and offered a merger, but when a couple of individuals (including the NAHI management company) learned of the offering the deal was quashed by the NAHI board of directors. All of the associations have based their standards on the ASHI SOP in someway. They might not admit it, but it does not take a rocket scientest to look at them and decide.

At this time I think all of the associations are serving a purpose and a specific sector of the profession. Some cater to newer inspectors and some are geared to the more experianced.

I have never had a consumer make any comment about the various associations. I really do not think they care or makes much difference to them. On the other hand many real estate agents and offices will only use inspectors that are members of ASHI. Most likely they were the only game in town and developed their market share over the years.

As far as HI associations having a relevance in states/areas that require a HI license? It all depends on the local chapters in that State or area. In my area (Middle Tennessee) and pretty much Statewide we have strong chapters and most of the real estate community want an inspector affiliated with our chapters and national society. Our chapters have worked to get the point out that not all licensed inspectors are not the same or have the same knowledge and skill sets. Mandatory education is another reason that folks join associations in licensed areas.

I'm a member of ASHI. I have been a member since 1997. I became active in ASHI on the national level in 2001 and it has been very rewarding, I have not been very active over the past few years due to my commitment to EBPHI. I have made friendships across the USA and Canada that are directly related to my activity. Those friendships have lead to countless referrals and additional business relationships that I would not have had if I had not joined. I'm a firm believer that the more you get involved in your professional association either on a local or national level the more you will get out of your membership.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I would argue that, at least in North Carolina, the NCLHIA group monitors boards that can affect our industry. Realtors, our own licensure board. We have established relationships that allow us to protect ourselves as best as a minority group can. We have had a lobbying presence in Raleigh and have positively affected potential rules changes. We haven't won all battles, but without NCLHIA's efforts, things would be shall we say . . . less good. Politics is evil but you and I are subject to it daily. As a group, we'll fair better than as 1500 separate cowboys.

JLMathis

As Scott said, I've never had one client ask about any HI organization I belong too and I figure most could really care less.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    As Scott said, I've never had one client ask about any HI organization I belong too and I figure most could really care less.

rick
    Maybe once in the half dozen years have I been asked.

I wrote a reply or should I say comment to a Realtors Blog yesterday. Scott mentioned that the REALTORS want inspectors to be associated with their chapter.....association. After reading the Realtors blog I came to a conclusion that it should be illegal for any Realtor to refer any home inspector or home inspector association but it should be the law in all states that Realtors tell all their clients that they should have a home inspection.......in writing. If a Realtor is caught referring any home inspector or home inspection organization they should be fined....heavily.

Funny thing is I told the Realtor on several occasions in my comment about his blog that I agreed with most of what he said but the read itself showed just how much a Realtor has complete control to what they (the Realtor) wants in a home inspector. What a home inspector comments on or does not. The fact that the inspector should not give an opinion on anything. How they should talk about concerns. How they should write about concerns. How he felt an inspection should go. How an inspector presents himself. etc etc etc etc etc

It was a serious concern as to the power a Realtor has over the home inspection when a Realtor should have absolutely no say what so ever on the inspection in any way shape or form.

I know this thread does not have to do with Realtors per say but in Reality it does. I have heard on many occasion from Realtors and inspectors around the country that Realtors on;ly refer Inspectors that belong to a particular association. Every single one of them as far as SOPs and ethics are pretty much the same. That is almost like saying that unless you are black, Chinese, anglo, or what ever they will not refer you.

To be able to hand pick any Home Inspection association or individual inspector based on the Realtors wants likes, dislikes etc and steer the inspection and report in any one particular direction ????????????????????? should be a criminal offense.

So in answer to the thread

"Are there too many Home Inspection Associations"

The answer is YES as far as any outside influence on Realtors or any other referring party. Too many home inspection associations that actually sway Realtors.

Make it illegal for Realtors to hand pick home inspectors . Even with the pointing to a short or long list. I know it may be difficult to wrap your head around but how does one think folks pick their mechanic or business card printer. Some say it is for the protection of the home buyer/seller. State guidelines and regulations and ethics and then go to the phone book or internet or get a referral from a friend as in any business.

In read that blog, like I said, I did agree with most of the thoughts behind it but when I was done reading it.....it scared me to think a person selling a home has the legal right to pick the inspector for that property !!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? that person picking the inspector depends on for feeding their family.

Remove all lists of all inspectors and inspector associations from every Realtors office and put legal recourse in place so any Realtor proved doing so will have to pay so much that their livelihood in that industry is taken away...for good. I guaranty that the first time it is proven that any Realtor pointed in the direction of any association or individual and lost their right to sell property ever again that there will never be another Realtor doing so.

And this is from an Inspector that just received this letter after emailing off the inspection on a home he did today. It is from a Realtor commenting about me apologizing about the report being a bit later than I thought it would be. It was a home for her Father.

"Thank you so much Ted

The timing was actually quite perfect as we have just finished
    dinner and I am printing the report out now for Per

Per was impressed with your professionalism and extensive
    knowledge as am I.

I plan to refer you to all future clients.

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks,
    Adrianne "

Yes, I get Realtor referrals all the time. Still though.....the power!

I often hear comments from others (particularly from the consumer perspective) about how fractured and uncoordinated the home inspection industry has become.
    The consumer doesn't know anything about the associations, neither do Realtors for the most part.

My continual solicitation via questionnaire proves that the public has no interest or knowledge of inspection associations.

Even the Mike Holmes forum is void of any regular discussion about home inspection associations, let alone about faulty inspections.

Good points so far, but perhaps I have blurred my point by the focus on the individual consumer. I appreciate the comments.

Than perhaps I should clarify the starting point of my comments. It was specifically voiced by several large "consumer driven groups" within Canada. One representing new homes and construction problems, the other based on the construction side of the H.I. equation.

I realize that people can generalize, but the point being - is there some validity to their claims, about "how fractured and uncoordinated the home inspection industry has become" and that the infighting, and chest thumping crap needs attention?
    :-)

Who are these consumer groups you speak of?

The facts seem to indicate that the regulation of home inspectors is not an issue. Even the number of court cases would indicate the issues are not rampant, and the issues of the home inspection industry complaints is likely less then what consumers think of Realtors.

Fear mongering without substantive facts are what seems to be driving the issue of home inspector licencing or some form of regulation.

The other problem with the current state of affairs within Canada is the misinformation, non information, special interests trying to convey to those that do not understand the industry that there actually is a problem that needs addressing.

Home inspectors overseeing themselves is far more of an issue then the public supposedly in fear of ignorant inspectors.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Who are these consumer groups you speak of?

The facts seem to indicate that the regulation of home inspectors is not an issue. Even the number of court cases would indicate the issues are not rampant, and the issues of the home inspection industry complaints is likely less then what consumers think of Realtors.

Fear mongering without substantive facts are what seems to be driving the issue of home inspector licencing or some form of regulation.

The other problem with the current state of affairs within Canada is the misinformation, non information, special interests trying to convey to those that do not understand the industry that there actually is a problem that needs addressing.

Home inspectors overseeing themselves is far more of an issue then the public supposedly in fear of ignorant inspectors.

Just curious on who should be overseeing the home inspectors.

Mabey the plumbers

Maybe a group of Lawyers Then you would see a serious blunder.

Maybe a group of woman that do not work in the outside world and have nothing to do but get on the phone and nag home inspectors all day. (I just heard that some where...no offense to house wife's.)

I know...how about a group of Realtors. That would be the fix...huh.

Today with most states requiring a State Lic. (with state SOP) to operate as a HI the need of associations has diminished. Today 2 or 200 associations the value is to the member and what the association can offer that member. Each member has different needs and requirements to be fulfilled. Whether education, social networking, business discounts for services, etc. Though some members feel their association is all knowing and omnipotent, or must justify their membership for ego support. Therefore all others are sub par. The Model T was the greatest at its time for what it was but times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Today with most states requiring a State Lic. (with state SOP) to operate as a HI the need of associations has diminished. Today 2 or 200 associations the value is to the member and what the association can offer that member. Each member has different needs and requirements to be fulfilled. Whether education, social networking, business discounts for services, etc. Though some members feel their association is all knowing and omnipotent, or must justify their membership for ego support. Therefore all others are sub par. The Model T was the greatest at its time for what it was but times have changed.
    It is also funny how folks feel the need to justify why they do not belong to a professional association. It is what it is and that will likely never change..

All professional associations, not just the home inspector associations are suffering a decline in membership across the board. When times are tough folks cut their expenses anyway they can and associations are one of them. Another reason for the decline in association memberships is the increase use of the Internet. Now education and information can be gained with the click of a keyboard.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

So Ted; you see nothing wrong with home inspectors overseeing home inspectors?

But wait what if the inspectors sitting on the BOD are also home inspection school owners, and/or vendors who provide home inspector products, or who sit on other home inspector boards of competing associations ... ?

Yes home inspectors do not need to be legislated up here, what is required is for the Directors/Management to be overseen by independent third parties because their leadership skills are lacking in so many areas. We have endured endless years of mismanagement, conflicts, accounting irregularities, discrimination. You name it it has happened within our so called professional associations up here.

We have already had to put up with one association using the Realtors to foster the need to licence home inspectors. Fortunately enough of us saw through the roust and objected loudly. That idea died on the vine - thankfully.

James Duffin Guest

I currently pay over $1000 a year to maintain my license's that allow me to actually do work in NC. This includes the licenses fee and the cost of CE. I sure don't need to spend another couple of hundred (or more) just so I can put four letters (the first one is A) on my letterhead and web site.

The only people concerned with home inspector organizations are home inspectors and the home inspector organizations.
    Realtors only care about limiting their liability, thus only recommending someone who carries the designation of a recognized standard. They would not care about it at all if their broker or lawyer had not told them this was important.
    Are there too many associations is like asking if there are too many car manufacturers. When they cease making enough money to survive, then there are too many and it will become a self limiting factor. Buy the brand of car you want and join the organization you want; the one that gives you the most bang for your buck.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    So Ted; you see nothing wrong with home inspectors overseeing home inspectors?

But wait what if the inspectors sitting on the BOD are also home inspection school owners, and/or vendors who provide home inspector products, or who sit on other home inspector boards of competing associations ... ?

Yes home inspectors do not need to be legislated up here, what is required is for the Directors/Management to be overseen by independent third parties because their leadership skills are lacking in so many areas. We have endured endless years of mismanagement, conflicts, accounting irregularities, discrimination. You name it it has happened within our so called professional associations up here.

We have already had to put up with one association using the Realtors to foster the need to licence home inspectors. Fortunately enough of us saw through the roust and objected loudly. That idea died on the vine - thankfully.

Raymond

So far it has been screwed up, messed up, criminalized, mismanagement etc etc etc etc

If something is not done with regulation on a permanent basis you will face the same thing for time never ending.

Do I see anything e=wrong with home inspectors overseeing home inspectors????

I guess someone that knows nothing of home inspection what so ever needs to oversee home inspectors. Like I said...Lawyers? Realtors? Plumbers? I know. how about an engineer that works for the coke plant. Or maybe the local city council or state licensing board for contractors.

You offered nothing in response other than you need no regulation. So everyone runs a muck inspecting how they want. Formatting the report as they wish. Everyone buying a home getting a different inspection from inspectors using slightly different SOPs.

I have watch you write about the screwed up mess up there as long as I have been on this board. Is it that you like controversy surrounding you. Do you like an uncontrolled and or governed in same way mess.

I am all for much much smaller gov but some is good to get you out of that screwed up mess you have been talking about for years and never getting anything resolved.

Associations swaying half the folks this way and a quarter of them that way and an 1/8 of them another way. Constant bickering and arguing and in the mean time nothing but a screwed up mess that is never changing.

ASHI thinks INACHIs operation is ridiculous. Inachi believes ASHI and everyone needs to go away because they are the bomb. NAHI backing out from merging with ASHI.

No one wants to give up control. Everyone thinks they are right and everyone else.....wrong.

What is it that you think the home inspectors in Canada need and or don't need and why is it what you think is best.....and most of all...will it work.

State licensing may not be the best way to resolve all that mess but what it does do is put things forth on what to inspect and report on and a particular format that must be followed. Everyone has the same base and starting point. Everyone needs x amount of CEUs and those CEUs have to be accepted for all. You cannot just go out to Raymonds home inspection school and get your hours unless it has been reviewed and accepted.

Independent Home Inspectors that belong to no association and no association is allowed to market them in any way shape or form. No they cannot own an inspection school. First and foremost they should be voted on by an independent council of sorts that checks them out thoroughly. That may work but I just do not think that folks that know nothing of home inspection should be overseeing home inspectors.

"Home inspectors to not need to be legislated up here" ?????????

Really...do tell.

Does the world really care about home inspectors. At 1000 per 50 states in the US, that is only 50,000. With the economy like it is, probably closer to 30,000 in the US. Maybe 3000 total in Canada?

No one cares about home inspectors and their associations but home inspectors. As someone already pointed out, members join for differing reasons. Even chapters within a single association operate very differently.

Licensing in my state has basically nullified any power associations may have to swaying clients and agents to use one inspector over another. There is no NAHI chapter at all. InterNachi is attempting to get a chapter off the ground. ASHI has a small chapter but active membership is down to about 20. The state association has about 1/3 of licensed HIs in the state as members. The state associations primary force is providing CE. It has had some success in limiting or modifying legislation.

Would less associations be better? Only 1 potential client has every asked if I belong to an association. Belonging to any or a specific association would not seem to matter much to clients or Realtors in my area of operation.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I have had clients ask about being an ASHI inspector. Not a lot but certainly enough, this year, to justify the dues cost. Since most of my work comes from my website or client referrals, I think some people are seeing the various videos and other websites that promote ASHI inspectors.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Just like the real estate industry has NAR, the inspection industry has one major trade association that offers all the government-approved online education, runs all the search sites, provides all the member benefits, produces all the marketing programs, publishes all the text books, develops all the business success tools, manages all the graphics, articles, narratives and video libraries for the profession, etc. InterNACHI doesn't have a problem with all the little associations like ASHI or the state associations like CREIA. They aren't really harming anyone.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Just like the real estate industry has NAR, the inspection industry has one major trade association that offers all the government-approved online education, runs all the search sites, provides all the member benefits, produces all the marketing programs, publishes all the text books, develops all the business success tools, manages all the graphics, articles, narratives and video libraries for the profession, etc. InterNACHI doesn't have a problem with all the little associations like ASHI or the state associations like CREIA. They aren't really harming anyone.
    Thank you Lisa - your post does a fine job of describing just what, in my opinion, is wrong with iNACHI.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Scott says
    All professional associations, not just the home inspector associations are suffering a decline in membership across the board. When times are tough folks cut their expenses anyway they can and associations are one of them. Another reason for the decline in association memberships is the increase use of the Internet. Now education and information can be gained with the click of a keyboard.
    InterNACHI's membership continues to grow in some 60 different countries including the U.S. and Canada. We love the internet at InterNACHI! Association membership decline or increase depends on what you provide in return for dues. If your association doesn't offer much more than logo usage, your association will "suffer a decline in membership across the board." If your association offers $50,000.00 worth of free membership benefits, free marketing programs and free approved education, your association will enjoy growth. It's that simple.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Richard Soundy Guest

To answer your original question Claude, I would say there are far too many organizations/associations. This in turn splinters the HI business, especially when it comes to establishing recognition within the Real Estate Transaction Process [RETP].

I note your post #14 wherein you clarify the "consumer" statement. IMHO, the consumer opinion is not the major problem. HI must be fully recognized by the "stakeholders" in the Real Estate Transaction Process.

I would suggest you look at the detailed flow diagrams following the complete RETP from the original desire to list a home to the final closure of the process. The "home condition" is a fairly critical aspect within this process, although just a sliver of the overall requirement. And, the HI role is getting more and more important as time passes.

You are correct in your statement "we are perceived as a fractured and uncoordinated industry" This is definitely the view of "stakeholders" - at times I believe it is purposely promoted for the stakeholders purposes.

Claude, another factor one must consider is "The Home Inspector" themselves. The following statement is said not to degrade any specific inspector - I only state this to put forward what is real in terms of numbers or percentages. Should anyone be offended I apologize in advance.

By numbers, the bulk of home inspectors are from the construction industry who have chosen to "out from pounding nails". Their desire and likes is independence, image of being "enforcers", and finally making money from using their "brains". They hanker to be recognized as professionals - in the true definition they are not professionals but artisans.

"Brains"? By default, they are not at a very high level in this area - we are partly to blame here! Entry level into this industry is fairly easy, low cost compared to many other professions/trades and NOT regulated uniformly.

So, Claude, how do you get the HI (bulk) to drop the egos, see the future with vision and smarts? My answer - be proud of your artisan background, unite behind those offering smart advice and get our business the full recognition it deserves in the eyes of the "stakeholders" - the consumers will fall in line.....

All the best - Richard

Last edited by Richard Soundy; 10-25-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Soundy View Post
    To answer your original question Claude, I would say there are far too many organizations/associations. This in turn splinters the HI business, especially when it comes to establishing recognition within the Real Estate Transaction Process [RETP].

I note your post #14 wherein you clarify the "consumer" statement. IMHO, the consumer opinion is not the major problem. HI must be fully recognized by the "stakeholders" in the Real Estate Transaction Process.

I would suggest you look at the detailed flow diagrams following the complete RETP from the original desire to list a home to the final closure of the process. The "home condition" is a fairly critical aspect within this process, although just a sliver of the overall requirement. And, the HI role is getting more and more important as time passes.

You are correct in your statement "we are perceived as a fractured and uncoordinated industry" This is definitely the view of "stakeholders" - at times I believe it is purposely promoted for the stakeholders purposes.

Claude, another factor one must consider is "The Home Inspector" themselves. The following statement is said not to degrade any specific inspector - I only state this to put forward what is real in terms of numbers or percentages. Should anyone be offended I apologize in advance.

By numbers, the bulk of home inspectors are from the construction industry who have chosen to "out from pounding nails". Their desire and likes is independence, image of being "enforcers", and finally making money from using their "brains". They hanker to be recognized as professionals - in the true definition they are not professionals but artisans.

"Brains"? By default, they are not at a very high level in this area - we are partly to blame here! Entry level into this industry is fairly easy, low cost compared to many other professions/trades and NOT regulated uniformly.

So, Claude, how do you get the HI (bulk) to drop the egos, see the future with vision and smarts? My answer - be proud of your artisan background, unite behind those offering smart advice and get our business the full recognition it deserves in the eyes of the "stakeholders" - the consumers will fall in line.....

All the best - Richard
    To what exactly do you mean stakeholders. I do believe I have a firm grasp of what entails stake holders but just to be clear ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    To what exactly do you mean stakeholders. I do believe I have a firm grasp of what entails stake holders but just to be clear ???????
    I bet he means REALTORS Ted.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

As I have pointed out the primary reason the industry up here is fractured is because home inspection associations are not open to outside scrutiny. Therefore you have a large percentage of disgruntled members who are fed up with the status quo.

We have had to endure fraud, proxy misuse, discrimination, lack of GAAP, repeated breaches of bylaws, associations taking money and giving nothing in return but grief and an attitude to those savvy enough to ask the hard questions. Untendered contracts, conflicts of interest, directors running inspection schools, ....

Self serving associations are not going to clean up the merde, that will take a strong commitment from the members, and thus far apathy is the stumbling block coupled with ignorance is bliss attitudes.

Richard Soundy Guest

Ted - Yep Realtors are one of many ... appraisers, lenders, title companies, lawyers, insurance .... etc. etc.

Raymond - This is a case of what comes first "the chicken or the egg". You are correct there are many weird happenings (shenanigans) with in various association/organizations - but, who is to blame?

The associations are the members!

There are fairly well documented methods and models in the setup of Not-for-profit organizations such as those that serve our industry. These models have full transparency and accountability. Yet, to the best of my knowledge not one of them practice these true and tried methods of management.

Most recently my association has made very, very strange moves and decision - all carried out by the Board of Directors with zero knowledge or feedback from our members. Too late, it is now a completed deal! Just not right I say. I now wait to hear the "blame game and finger pointing" followed by the need for more insurance and lawyers no doubt.

Is this a case of trust, being naive or just plain dumb.

All the best - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Soundy View Post

The associations are the members!
    Not exactly true. Most associations are the members. One, which continues to grow in over 60 countries, is owned by one person.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I bet he means REALTORS Ted.

I kind of figred he had several more along with realtors in there.

It's funny. I was just taking an online course last night about marketing. All about pleasing the realtor for more referrals. I wrote a post recently stating that I do get a number of my inspections form realtor and do actually market them from time to time to keep my name out there.

What the scary part is about the entire matter is the very, very serious control that the Realtors have over the entire inspection with most inspectors that do cater to them.

Say things like this. God forbid you say things like that. Dress this way, act that way etc etc etc. And the scariest part is it absolutely says on the marketing that that they (the Realtors) will tag along with you to make sure they can trust you to present yourself this way or that and you do not give any negative vibes about anything even if an HVAC sytem is 28 years old. This was mentioned as a gas unit that lasts 18 to 20 years but it is 28 years old but all you are suppose to do is mention whether it is working or not and of course you would put the age in there......but don't be negative about the piece of crap that is slowly starting to turn to dust. That was just one point.

I also wrote on that post that I mentioned that it should be completely illegal to evn have the realtors hand out any form of list showing any direction as to who the client should hire or a particular association for that matter. Let the realtor do their job and , in writing, inform the client that it is in their best interest to have the home inspected and then just as in any profession or trade the client go on the web, open a phone book ask a friend who they used etc. Isn't that how everyone finds someone to building a home, work on the vehicle, find a particular store.

Many many Inspectors would hate this idea because they do most of their work thru realtors. They have marketed them heavily and do everything to please them. I am not saying they are being unethical but in reality instead of just doing your job it is way back in your subconscious that you must pleas the realtor. Or for that matter up front and center.

It should be taken out of the equation all together. If a Realtor is caught whispering or even outwardly referring a particular inspector...even if found out months later froman unhappy client, they should be find severaly.

Everyone talks of the up and up and boasts of such strong ethics standing =s then they should not complain of that at all.

The playing field would be leveled.

Gotta go back to work.

Tom Mcdonald Guest

I think this may be a regional thing. Here in Arizona our State SOP is adopted from ASHI. A lot of realtors ask the question “Are you ASHI Certified”. If you say no, they won’t use you. Some agents don’t refer a HI but tell clients to go to ASHI web site and pick one from there.

I used to belong to both ASHI and NACHI but with business being so slow I had to make a choice. Being ASHI Certified brings me business. I hope soon things will pick up and I can go re join NACHI for all the great info they provide.

DON’T FORGET TO GET OUT AND VOTE NEXT WEEK. ITS NOT TO LATE TO SAVE THIS COUNTRY

Joe Richmond Guest

From my experience what happen with organizations in general is that once a group decides that they do not like what is going on within the group then they branch out and create a new group and grab a few people to go with them. And for one reason or another these differing groups tend to have some animosities towards one another and so use that as fuel to get people to join their organization.

Fred Herndon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    My state (NC) has regulations and a SOP I consider adequate for me to do my job as a HI so I decided I did not need what the independent associations are supposed to provide. I have other trade license which the state regulations also provide all the support and guidance I need. I guess if a state does not license HI's an association may be helpful?
    James,
    I will have to respectfuly disagree with your reasoning. A viable statewide organization of Home Inspectors such as NCLHIA provides it's members a voice with our Licensure Board and can (and does) influence- and sometimes suggest- changes made to the SOP that all NC Inspectors work by. NCLHIA provides continuing education for it's members at a greatly reduced rate- much less than the $1,000/year you say you are paying. NCLHIA is the ONLY association of Home Inspectors in NC capable of fielding a full time lobbyist in Raleigh. As Jeff pointed out, we have had some successes and some failures, but without an effective lobbying presence to counter the two largest campaign contributors in the state (realtors and Homebuilders), our industry really would be at their mercy. Local Chapter meetings provide an oppotunity to network with other Inspectors in your area and keep up with the latest "goings on", as well as monthly speakers on topics of interest. Frankly I do not see how a full time Inspector cannot afford to be a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    I would argue that, at least in North Carolina, the NCLHIA group monitors boards that can affect our industry. Realtors, our own licensure board. We have established relationships that allow us to protect ourselves as best as a minority group can. We have had a lobbying presence in Raleigh and have positively affected potential rules changes. We haven't won all battles, but without NCLHIA's efforts, things would be shall we say . . . less good. Politics is evil but you and I are subject to it daily. As a group, we'll fair better than as 1500 separate cowboys.

JLMathis
    Very well said, Jeff. To quote Plato, the price for not being interested in politics is to be ruled by men worse than yourself. Home Inspectors will always be a minority, and in a sensitive position where we directly affect the incomes of powerful interest groups- as well as our clients. If we do not organize and stand together things will be, to paraphrase you, WAY... less good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Does the world really care about home inspectors. At 1000 per 50 states in the US, that is only 50,000. With the economy like it is, probably closer to 30,000 in the US. Maybe 3000 total in Canada?

No one cares about home inspectors and their associations but home inspectors. As someone already pointed out, members join for differing reasons. Even chapters within a single association operate very differently.

Licensing in my state has basically nullified any power associations may have to swaying clients and agents to use one inspector over another. There is no NAHI chapter at all. InterNachi is attempting to get a chapter off the ground. ASHI has a small chapter but active membership is down to about 20. The state association has about 1/3 of licensed HIs in the state as members. The state associations primary force is providing CE. It has had some success in limiting or modifying legislation.

Would less associations be better? Only 1 potential client has every asked if I belong to an association. Belonging to any or a specific association would not seem to matter much to clients or Realtors in my area of operation.
    Bruce,
    Correct assessment that in a state that requires licensing no one really cares about HI Associations but Home Inspectors. That is why national associations originally opposed state licensing. However, we had darn well BETTER care!

The problem a couple of years ago was that the industry in NC became splintered after negotiations over the rewrite of our licensing law. One ASHI group split off from the original, iNACHI was trying to form a chapter and NCLHIA was trying to hold onto the center. From what I read in some of the other posts it seems that this may be what is happening in some other areas now.

Our solution was to invite the leadership of both ASHI chapters and iNACHI to meet with us on a regular basis (usually about 2 weeks after each Licensure Board meeting) to develop an agenda for the way we feel things should progress, and so that the industry can speak with one voice. If you are splintered, with different agendas, it will not take "other interests" long to figure out how you can be manipulated.

I don't know if this is a model Inspectors in other states (or provinces, for our Canadian brothers) can use. Competition between Associations is good when it helps us to sharpen our messages and do a better job for our members, however some organizations have tried to build membership by attacking or demonizing their "competition" and have created a lot of bad blood. This has happened in NC as well and is counterproductive to the future of our industry (see above!).

It is my opinion that we need representation on a national level just as badly as we do in our various state houses. An Inspector who cares about the future of the industry should join whichever national association he or she fits with and that offers a positive message and that gets results. Unfortunately the childish sniping back and forth I regularly see here and on other message boards drives peoply away when you need them the most.

So, back to the original question, are there too many HI Associations? As Jim Luttral hinted, this will be a function of the market. If everyone survives the recession, the answer is "no".