David Macy Guest

Default Height requirement for exterior box

This GFCI controlled outlet was at ground level.

What if any requirements are for the height of the box?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Height requirement for exterior box

David - I don't know the answer to your question, but it immediately occurred to me to see where you are from, thinking about snow, for one thing, but you haven't filled out your profile.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

David Macy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    David - I don't know the answer to your question, but it immediately occurred to me to see where you are from, thinking about snow, for one thing, but you haven't filled out your profile.
    I am from snow country in Northeast Ohio.

I will have to update my profile.

Thanks

2006 IRC E3801.7 Outdoor outlets. At least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 6 feet, 6 inches above grade, shall be installed outdoors at the front and back of each dwelling unit having direct access to grade.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

David Macy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    2006 IRC E3801.7 Outdoor outlets. At least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 6 feet, 6 inches above grade, shall be installed outdoors at the front and back of each dwelling unit having direct access to grade.

So from the IRC it is acceptable to install at grade level. So what if it snows 6-12 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by David Macy View Post
    So from the IRC it is acceptable to install at grade level. So what if it snows 6-12 inches?
    I don't know. Seems like a concern to me. I did notice in my CodeCheck Electrical it says "In most cases. the NEC does not have requirements for switch or receptacle height", then goes on to talk about the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Bob White Guest

Not sure what code says about it, but that receptacle looks like lawn mower candy to me....

David Macy Guest

Talking Re: Height requirement for exterior box

Quote Originally Posted by Bob White View Post
    Not sure what code says about it, but that receptacle looks like lawn mower candy to me....

Actually I would do a nice number on the box with my weadeater!

By the way How do you like my profile. This is the time of year I usually go to Canada and unfortunetly will not be going this year.

I hear the loons, labatts and fish calling me!!

If it is buried at all, it must be a direct burial rated box ... which means gasketed cover and no openings (like receptacles) which could allow water in.

If it is 'just above grade' but in a depression area and you see a high water mark around it, I wrote them up as needing to be direct burial/underwater rated.

If it is 'just above grade' and no evidence of water ... there is no 'minimum height' requirement.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com