Default Heating element manufacturers

Hello Gents!

Since you guys are such a wealth of information, I was hoping someone would have a direct line to a manufacturer of residential oven elements.

I have some technical questions for a manufacturer, or if one of you know, perhaps you could help.

I need to know the exact composition of a baking oven heating element in a residential oven. I had tied contacting Whirlpool, Sears, and a couple of distributors, without luck.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc. - Home

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Heating element manufacturers

I don't know what the heating elements are composed of, nevertheless, I'm concerned that they may be a source of radon and/or black mold. Or asbestos. Possibly lead.

I assume that's your concern as well, CaoimhÃ*n.

It goes without saying, of course, that they contribute to global warming.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell View Post
    Hello Gents!

Since you guys are such a wealth of information, I was hoping someone would have a direct line to a manufacturer of residential oven elements.

I have some technical questions for a manufacturer, or if one of you know, perhaps you could help.

I need to know the exact composition of a baking oven heating element in a residential oven. I had tied contacting Whirlpool, Sears, and a couple of distributors, without luck.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell

AMDG
    I have never given it much thought as to the manufacturer of the elements. I just replaced a cooktop element and it was made by GE but it was for our Whirlpool cooktop! I wounder if GE makes them for everyone?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hello Gents!

Thoughts?
    http://www.resistancewire.com/Html/T...WireAlloys.PDF

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Calrod (TM) sealed elements or NiChrome.

Hello Gents!

You're not likely to find it. These parts are sent out to bid and are manufactured primarily in China. The heating wire is usually 304 stainless (although not always) with a ceramic insulator, resistance powder, and tube. The resistance powder is usually magnesium oxide, but the manufacturer can specify otherwise. The ceramic insulator and tube materials are usually not specified by composition; instead they is specified by heat dissipation and other performance characteristics. As a result, the manufacturer usually has the ability to specify the material as they see fit.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks, Gents for the laughs and the good info.

I’m working on a fire investigation; looking at human exposures during the fire, which according to credible reports was exclusively the heating element. I’ve done dozens of metal fires in the past, but I never heard of heating elements catching fire!

And yes, John, there was conclusive proof that for a short period of time, the temperature of their word was definitely elevated!

Thanks again.

Cheers!
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

but I never heard of heating elements catching fire!

CaoimhÃ*n,

If I am recalling correctly, I have seen a photo where a heating element on a stove top was flaming up. I am also almost sure I saw that photo posted here (but not 100% sure the photo was here).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Originally Posted by CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell

but I never heard of heating elements catching fire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If I am recalling correctly, I have seen a photo where a heating element on a stove top was flaming up.
    I suspect there needs to be a coating of grease on the element providing fuel for the flames, such as this oven from last week.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Galvin Guest

You may go to the oven manufacturer and ask your quires to him or her. They would provide you with valuable suggestions...