Irv Kraut Guest

Default Use of DNA for indoor Mold levels

Good Morning,

I am a new member and also the Industrial Hygienist for an EPA licensed laboratory. From time to time I will be posting information on new technologies that may be of interest to the members. I would also be happy to give my insite into interpreting laboratory data.

Most home inspectors that collect indoor samples for mold analysis are using traditional methods (spore traps, swabs and tape lifts). This has been the basis of >95% of all samples collected nationally. Like you, I have collected thousands of samples using the above methods but came to realization several years ago that the data was not truly representative of the indoor mold burden. I can go into excruiating detail on the limitations of spore traps but I prefer to provide the readers with information on the use of DNA (PCR) for mold analysis.

Clients I have found, always have the same question. "Is there something here that would hurt my family?" It is always (as it should) about health. Since only a small percentage of fungi are pathogenic (May cause disease to man) does it not make sense to look for these molds above all others?

PCR (DNA) is a sophisticated laboratory analytical method that provides highly accurate data (99.999%) down to the species level. SPECIES is where we discover if the fungi is pathogenic. Traditional sampling methods (spore traps & tape lifts) cannot provide this data. What has likely stopped inspectors like you from using PCR/DNA is cost and concerns over how to collect samples and understand laboratory data. In truth it is not difficult and you already have most of the equipment.

Currently there are two methods (with another on the way soon) to collect samples for PCR/DNA. One is the collection of vacuumed dust from the property and the other is a DNA swab that collects a sample from the return filter. Soon an air test using PCR/DNA will be available and that will also be easy to collect. The current pricing runs from a low of about $50.00 (DNA Swab) to $150.00 dust. In most cases a single dust sample will suffice for a property under 2000 sf. DNA data takes the guess work out of laboratory results and will stand up to client concerns.

Send me any questions on this topic and I will be happy to reply

Irv Kraut
    Industrial Hygienist

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Use of DNA for indoor Mold levels

Use of DNA for indoor Mold levels
    Good Morning,

I am a new member and also the Industrial Hygienist for an EPA licensed laboratory. From time to time I will be posting information on new technologies that may be of interest to the members. I would also be happy to give my insite into interpreting laboratory data.

Most home inspectors that collect indoor samples for mold analysis are using traditional methods (spore traps, swabs and tape lifts). This has been the basis of >95% of all samples collected nationally. Like you, I have collected thousands of samples using the above methods but came to realization several years ago that the data was not truly representative of the indoor mold burden. I can go into excruiating detail on the limitations of spore traps but I prefer to provide the readers with information on the use of DNA (PCR) for mold analysis.

Clients I have found, always have the same question. "Is there something here that would hurt my family?" It is always (as it should) about health. Since only a small percentage of fungi are pathogenic (May cause disease to man) does it not make sense to look for these molds above all others?

PCR (DNA) is a sophisticated laboratory analytical method that provides highly accurate data (99.999%) down to the species level. SPECIES is where we discover if the fungi is pathogenic. Traditional sampling methods (spore traps & tape lifts) cannot provide this data. What has likely stopped inspectors like you from using PCR/DNA is cost and concerns over how to collect samples and understand laboratory data. In truth it is not difficult and you already have most of the equipment.

Currently there are two methods (with another on the way soon) to collect samples for PCR/DNA. One is the collection of vacuumed dust from the property and the other is a DNA swab that collects a sample from the return filter. Soon an air test using PCR/DNA will be available and that will also be easy to collect. The current pricing runs from a low of about $50.00 (DNA Swab) to $150.00 dust. In most cases a single dust sample will suffice for a property under 2000 sf. DNA data takes the guess work out of laboratory results and will stand up to client concerns.

Send me any questions on this topic and I will be happy to reply

Irv Kraut
    Industrial Hygienist

DNA use for Mould levels is nothing more than a scam to take money from folks who already know they have a mold/mould problem! It is simply amazing that the labs have now discovered a new way to scam folks into paying for information that will not really do diddlysquat for the owner of the home.

Why test for mould when you already know you have mould? Stop the source of the moisture and cleanup the mould!

Follow the EPA guidelines for taking care of the mould and go on with life. no need to test for mould when you know you have it. On the other hand all worthwhile protocols for mould sampling do not recommend "blind" testing if you can find no symptoms of mould growth in a structure.

Charter Member DDMG ........ Mold/Mould just to help the search engines..

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 10-27-2010 at 05:46 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com