Default Diagram Request: Handrail Size

Does anyone have a nice handrail diagram they would share. I'm looking for one that shows the handrail size i.e. grippability....

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Diagram Request: Handrail Size

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Does anyone have a nice handrail diagram they would share. I'm looking for one that shows the handrail size i.e. grippability....

Thanks.
    A reference I have referred others to often is the Stairway Manufacturers Association''s (SMA) from Stairway Manufacturers' Association - SMA: Welcome to Our Home Page "Visual Interpretation of the Stairway Code".

Here is a direct link to the edition based upon the 2006 IRC and IBC, which you can download pdf here (clickable link): http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf See especially the document's pages 10-11 (Type I and II).

You can navigate to Stairway Manufacturer's Association - SMA: Codes and Standards to find the editions pertaining to earlier editions, other regional specific editions, and some more comprehensive information and studies regarding Type II handrails.

They address "graspability" issues reasonably well in their illustrations, and comprehensively enhanced in their references language.

I hope you find the resources suitable to your needs.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-27-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Thank you H.G. I have that information from one of your earlier posts. I was looking for something simpler more like you find in Code Check.

See if this helps.

Attached Files Attached Files
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

RF,

Here are the ones that I use. Probably lifted them from this site at some time in the past. Don't remember who originally posted them, but a belated thanks.

The 42 requirement is a California thing. You should be able to edit the photo and take it back to 36". Not sure why the diagram notes 4 3/8" sphere. I thought it was 4".

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    See if this helps.
    That's the same SMA Visual Interpretation of the Stair Code document I referred him to with a clickable download link already; to which he already stated he wasn't satisfied with the illustrated photos with notations for the three classes of handrails(Type I, Type II and other than Type I or II), and the demonstrations of measurements for "graspability". Apparently seven diagrams for multiple classes was too much. Gunnar's one photo pertaining to the OP doesn't even sufficiently cover all Type I.

If you're looking for a singluar Type II drawing you could have found it on the third link page I provided earlier but I'll attach it here. The drawing does not cover Type I, nor those other than Type I or II (not symetrical and greater overall permeter than Type I, but "graspable".

Type I and other than Type I or II are still "graspable", that's why referring to all seven photos in the document link earlier provided (and John A. uploaded/attached) along with the code and commentary discussing all three classes - is more comprehensive. You can snip what you need for a particular application.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-27-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: uploaded the "test" diagram for Type II handrails from SMA.

Richard Stanley Guest

http://www.arcways.com/pdfs/IRC2000a.pdf

nevermind - someone already sent this

Last edited by Richard Stanley; 10-27-2010 at 01:59 PM.

I was looking for something simpler more like you find in Code Check.

Robert,

The problem with simpler drawings is that they do not cover all the types, allowances, restrictions, which can lead to errors in what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

R312.2 Guard Opening Limitations. - 4" sphere not pass through.
    Ex. 1 6" sphere not pass through triangular openings formed by riser, tread and bottom rail of guard at open side of stairway.
    Ex. 2 4-3/8" sphere not pass through openings for required guards on sides of stair treads.

Note: Balcony may require greater restriction between floor or curb and bottom rail of guard, in non-IRC applications or by local rule.

Robert soon after Jan 1st the diagrams in the code checks will be available to purchase/download and use in our reports etc. There are some companies that are doing this now, I havn't seen any I like as much as code check. You should be able to go to thier web site and purchase them, when I last checked they told me it would they would be available by the end of the year.

To be more precise I should of said I'm looking for diagrams which are more pleasing to the eye. An attractive presentation IMO helps with the absorption of information.

I've included one below which I find nicely done. It's off Michael Thomas's website.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images