Default Residential Inspector has Commercial questions

My name is Rob Kinsey and have been doing residential inspections for about 15 years. I am new to posting here but have been doing a bit of reading of posts. I have a call for doing an inspection of a 41 unit apartment building (it was converted from a motel per buyer). Single story pitched roof with at least some attic space and at least some areas with basement.
    As I have not done anything this large before and I am wondering if any of you can give me some input on a few things. Such as a method of operation that has worked well for this type of inspection. As for the report I am thinking there should be one part for the common areas of the interior, one for the common areas of the exterior, and one for each unit. Right? As my PIA is written for the normal single family inspection, what should I include for this inspection?
    As for the pricing of this inspection should I go with an estimated time frame I think it will take and multiply it by an hourly rate? Is there some sort of a per unit structure I should think about?
    Any input from you folks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Residential Inspector has Commercial questions

Common is to add per unit to usual price base.
    In Illinois it is still residential if no commercial business.
    You should have a common area section for all multifamily.
    Treat it like a normal interior section on a larger scale and do the same with exterior.
    Feel free to contact me to chat in private away from negative comments.
    Bear in mind that expectations are important and to tailor your contract around what is to be inspected.
    Some want just common areas mainly while some may want a check up of all the (appliances,etc).
    Consider a partner to help out if needed .

Please fill in your profile so we know where you are located and a web site.

Your first questions for any inspection of this type to yourself and the client should be:
    - Why is the client hiring me for this, What are the clients goals/objectives, What type of info is the client looking to get from this inspection?
    If you treat this like an HI you will probably fail to meet the clients goals and needs. What is he looking to do with the property? Rent, rehab, flip? Does he need the inspection to show the lender that the place is in sufficient condition to be rentable and allow for cashflow? Is he looking to get additional money above the purchase cost to do rehab?
    Get a copy of ASTM 2018 and use it as a guide for this type of inspection. You will be much better off than following standard HI parameters.
    Gotta go will post again

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Kinsey View Post
    My name is Rob Kinsey and have been doing residential inspections for about 15 years. I am new to posting here but have been doing a bit of reading of posts. I have a call for doing an inspection of a 41 unit apartment building (it was converted from a motel per buyer). Single story pitched roof with at least some attic space and at least some areas with basement.
    As I have not done anything this large before and I am wondering if any of you can give me some input on a few things. Such as a method of operation that has worked well for this type of inspection. As for the report I am thinking there should be one part for the common areas of the interior, one for the common areas of the exterior, and one for each unit. Right? As my PIA is written for the normal single family inspection, what should I include for this inspection?
    As for the pricing of this inspection should I go with an estimated time frame I think it will take and multiply it by an hourly rate? Is there some sort of a per unit structure I should think about?
    Any input from you folks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    This link should help

ASTM E2018 -08 Standard Guide for Property Condition Assessments: Baseline Property Condition Assessment Process

Daniel Leung Guest

Claire R Guest

welcome!

Thank you guys for your input with this. His main concern was for the structure being up to par as most heating, cooling and plumbing was replaced (per seller 0f course). In the end there was some sort of financial situation that kept him from proceeding so no go on the inspection.