Stefan McGuire Guest

Default Screwed up roof-trusses in new home

Brand new house- hip roof, look at the pictures to see what they did wrong -- the 2x4s that the roof sheathing are attached to were spanning about 16'. (it looks like they accidentally installed the 1st horizontal support truss on 16" OC and then 24" OC so the 2 parts didn't intersect the way they should.
    1) I thought that the added posts to fill in the gaps between the top chord and horizontal member should have had gussets added since they were only toe-nailed.
    2) Do you think it's OK the way the added 2x4's are criss-crossed so there really is only 1 1/2x 1 1/2 bearing the weight???

The builder admitted they screwed this up but this was the fix- per the truss manufacturer's engineer -- I was surprised there were no positive connections at the added pieces. Not all that confident in the repair work (plus they really trampled down the loose fill insulation)

Any commentary???

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Screwed up roof-trusses in new home

Mike the Truss Guy will probably chime in on this at some point. The pics are a little difficult for me.
    If the truss company engineered the fix then there should be paperwork on that from them. If there is no paper work then there is no proper repair, period. Without documentation I wouldn't approve any of it. If they aren't providing doc's then the question obviously is 'who's full of it?' Is the contractor just lying to cover himself? Or does he have a relationship with the truss company and they told him something like, 'look if you do abc it should work but really you screwed up and it should be replaced, we aren't putting anything in writing'?
    I've done truss work in the past, toe nailing was not acceptable for connecting members on any job I worked. The repair looks like it may work but it doesn't look 'engineered' looks slapped together.
    I'd call the truss company and ask them to fax/email over a copy of their repair schedule for the job. When they ask What?. Say thank you and send the client a nice little defect letter. No need to get upset about it.
    If the builder screwed it up that bad, how much logic is there in thinking he can fix it properly?
    Good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ditto to what Markus said....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Markus has you on the right track. I also have worked with trusses and you have to rely on manufacturer to provide documentation on load design and attachment methods along with installation requirements. I do not think that the builders solution was the best just the most cost effective and expedient with hope that it would be sufficient.

I would (to cover yourself for any opinion that you offer) recommend at least :

1) Have client to obtain framing sign off from permit inspection, and if there were any alterations or additions required by inspector to obtain sign off.

2) Have client contact truss manufacture to obtain their original specifications on design and written notification of their specifications on correction to be done.

3) Have client obtain the plans that were used, as signed by architect /engineer, to obtain the building permits.

Relying on the builder word alone is risky. The builder should be able to provide the documentation to support their position.

Client should make sure that they cover all of their bases to protect themselves for any future problems that may arise. Making sure that the issue is corrected correctly now. Builder may be out of business tomorrow no mater how good reputation or length of time in business.